• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mike trible

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Anybody on here loading the '357 maximum' for a use in a rifle? I picked up a 20" 'MGM' max barrel for my Encore, trying to find some suggestions for loading 180gr and 200 gr bullets. thanks

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I loaded some 357 Max for my buddy last fall. It's a tweener cartridge, meaning it's big for a pistol and small for a rifle. It is best with powders like AA1680.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    I have used this cartridge extensively in IHMSA competition. From a 10" barrel revolver, 20 grains of 4227 with a 180 bullet is a solid load. recoil is more of a push than a kick, and it works in my 20" TC Custom Shop barrel for my contender. 296 runs a bit faster with a bit more kick, perhaps 19-19.5 grains. I don't shoot lighter bullets because for silhouette I need the knockdown power of the heavy bullet on a 45 pound steel ram.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I've never loaded the Maximum, but if you're intending to use your rifle for either hunting or defensive purposes, I'd highly recommend that you use premium bullets that will give you controlled expansion without flying apart from the much greater velocity over normal .357 Magnum.
    Speer Gold Dot or (better still) Swift A-Frame would be the way to go for those purposes.

mike trible

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Finally settled on a load, works for me, not necessarily recommended for others. CCI 450 primer, 28.5 grs AA1680, 200gr sierra RN bullet, 2.235 OAL, solid crimp (not in groove). In my Encore 20" barrel, 2100 fps, 3/4" group. The 357max is an Ohio legal Rifle caliber.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    .357 Max...
    You guys just reminded me that I need to figure out lube cookies for patching the .35 Remington. Maybe the 3/8 gasket punch.
    Need to take a break from the garden anyhow.
    :)

About the .357 Max, any yall load black in it in a carbine?
    I've read about folks recutting the chamber on break overs and have thought it could produce a great small game "rook rifle".

tnek13

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    AA 1680 is a great powder for the MAX look at Accurate Arms data for the T/C not the pistol data. Charges for 180 gr bullets range from 25.5 to 30 g.r. The Hornady SSPB is no longer available, but you will find the 180 gun Speer works just fine however it is .06 inches shorter so adjust seating depth accordingly. Also check your chamber and throat length as MGM cuts chambers for rifle bullets and some come with chamber better suited for pistol bullets (shorter threat). A friend of mine got one with the short throat and MGM cut is longer for him - it is not a problem his barrel shoots just fine. I have tried just about every powder you will find listed that is suitable for the MAX in an Encore and AA 1680 works the best for me, some one else gave you the magic 28.5 grn load so I will not mention it - good shooting and have fun - you will like the MAX

Top Bottom