• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • diver dan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    DeMotte
    Hi guys, I had a individual wanting to sell me a 35 remington lever action rifle. I really havent heard anything about this caliber . I was wondering how valuable is this caliber in a lever action rifle ? He told me he had barrel shortened to 16 inches to be like a GUIDE GUN , dont know if I should pick up or not ? he said he was wanting 800 bucks for it . What do you think ?

tude

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    ohio
    IMHO, the 35 is a tried and true round. The ammo for it is rare and expensive , more so than most. I would want to shoot it and see how it groups after barrel surgery. Also the price seems high.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    $800 is too much for a "customized" .35 Remington.
    I love the caliber, and have a Marlin model 336 in .35 Remington myself, but the surgery as tude put it, would be a detriment in my book.
    If it is a JM stamped Marlin I would try to talk him down.
    If it is a "Remlin", I would try to talk him down by half!

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    The 35 Remington is a pretty good round. It is available but probably not at very many places. The price would depend on the make of the rifle and the quality of the work done. 800 smackers seems sorta high from the limited information given. Good luck and keep us informed. See if you can get a bit more info and pictures to share.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Why do people commit abortions on nice firearms like this? Why shorten the barrel and hurt FPS and accuracy? I say stay away from this tu$d and if you must have a .35 Remington go find an unmolested variant. My :twocents: !

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Hi guys, I had a individual wanting to sell me a 35 remington lever action rifle. I really havent heard anything about this caliber . I was wondering how valuable is this caliber in a lever action rifle ? He told me he had barrel shortened to 16 inches to be like a GUIDE GUN , dont know if I should pick up or not ? he said he was wanting 800 bucks for it . What do you think ?
    35 Rem is a great round. Ammo is hard to come by in stores.
    The cut barrel sounds like a concern, but that would depend on if it was cut and crowned properly. Is it stainless or blued?

$800 bucks is up there so it would depend on what brand, model and grade, and of course the quality of the work. Have a gunsmith take a look at it first, or see about putting some rounds through it beforehand.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Why do people commit abortions on nice firearms like this? Why shorten the barrel and hurt FPS and accuracy? I say stay away from this tu$d and if you must have a .35 Remington go find an unmolested variant. My :twocents: !
    I bought mine right before Remington went bankrupt.
    They had been producing the 336, 1894, and 1895's long enough to go through their "learning phase" and start actually producing acceptable firearms.
    I bought an 1895 in .45-70gvt and a 336 in .35 Remington.
    Both were nice looking rifles. Fit and finish seemed comparable to my JM stamped 1894.
    Both actions seem smooth and both are as accurate as one would expect from a new, modern lever action rifle.
    I've been more than just pleased with my "Remlin" purchases, but I may have gotten lucky.
    This has been a few years back, and prices are going up all the time, but I bought my 336 in .35 Remington for less than $500 out the door, and I believe I bought it off of GunBroker.

My opinion, $800 is out of line for a molested gun.

Frontiersman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    East Central Indiana
    One of my favorites. Very handy with a 16" barrel. Less popular here in Indiana. Very popular in wooded states where stalk hunting is the norm. I've hunted deer, bear, elk, and hogs with good results. Price is dependant on condition. The 35 is also prone to demonstrate head space issues sooner than a rimmed cartridge, as it seats in the shoulder. The shoulder is small and demands close tolerances. Not a big deal if you are a handloader, but a slightly out of spec chamber can cause light primer strikes in factory ammo. Not as likely to encounter a heavily used one here. Good luck with your choice.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    One of my favorites. Very handy with a 16" barrel. Less popular here in Indiana. Very popular in wooded states where stalk hunting is the norm. I've hunted deer, bear, elk, and hogs with good results. Price is dependant on condition. The 35 is also prone to demonstrate head space issues sooner than a rimmed cartridge, as it seats in the shoulder. The shoulder is small and demands close tolerances. Not a big deal if you are a handloader, but a slightly out of spec chamber can cause light primer strikes in factory ammo. Not as likely to encounter a heavily used one here. Good luck with your choice.
    I picked up a gem last year in .35 Remington.
    I found a used, but in great condition, Remington model 8.
    I've been told this was the predecessor to the B.A.R.
    It's a semi-auto .35 Remington thing of beauty.

One of the old advertisements reads that you can empty the magazine before the first spent case hits the ground.

It also blasts a really interesting reciprocating barrel encased entirely in a shroud.

Frontiersman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    East Central Indiana
    I picked up a gem last year in .35 Remington.
    I found a used, but in great condition, Remington model 8.
    I've been told this was the predecessor to the B.A.R.
    It's a semi-auto .35 Remington thing of beauty.

One of the old advertisements reads that you can empty the magazine before the first spent case hits the ground.

It also blasts a really interesting reciprocating barrel encased entirely in a shroud.
    Is that the one with the spiral feed tube? Nice find.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Is that the one with the spiral feed tube? Nice find.
    Nope.
    Internal 5 round box magazine.
    There is a variation of the model 8 that held a detachable 15 round magazine but those were mostly relegated to law enforcement.
    It was a model 8 in the hands of one Frank Hammer who helped take out Bonnie Parker and Clyde Barrow.

Top Bottom