• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pdood

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2022
    NWI
    Does anybody load .32 acp? I am looking for load data for 65 gr jhp. I can find load data for 60 gr and 71 gr. I know Federal makes 65 gr hydra-shok but can't find any data. I don't want to just adjust for halfway between the 60 gr and 71 gr. Since the 65 gr is a bit longer than the 60 gr I would like to know proper C.O.L. as the case is short and by seating too deep could have pressure issues, seating too long feed issues. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I load a fair amount of 32 ACP, it's shot almost exclusively in my Colt 1903 pistols. My go to bullet is a hard cast lead 90 grain RNFP out of an Accurate mold. I use 2 grains of 231 with this bullet, COAL is .935. Personal opinion is that lower weight hollow point bullets aren't worth the cost in 32 ACP.

I can't speak for how well this would work in other guns, but I've never had a FTF, and it's quite accurate out of the 1903.

pdood

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2022
    NWI
    I load a fair amount of 32 ACP, it's shot almost exclusively in my Colt 1903 pistols. My go to bullet is a hard cast lead 90 grain RNFP out of an Accurate mold. I use 2 grains of 231 with this bullet, COAL is .935. Personal opinion is that lower weight hollow point bullets aren't worth the cost in 32 ACP.

I can't speak for how well this would work in other guns, but I've never had a FTF, and it's quite accurate out of the 1903.
    So long story short, no, you don't have any loading data for 65 grain bullets. But thanks for the info about what you shoot.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

Yeah 32acp HP are a waste of money. Your FP will actually be the better choice and the heavier bullets will give more penetration than the lighter bullets. Penetration is the key. It doesn't matter how much it expands if it doesn't penetrate deep enough it won't matter.

pdood

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2022
    NWI

Yeah 32acp HP are a waste of money. Your FP will actually be the better choice and the heavier bullets will give more penetration than the lighter bullets. Penetration is the key. It doesn't matter how much it expands if it doesn't penetrate deep enough it won't matter.

While I respect all of your opinions, it still doesn't answer my questions. I joined this site seeking information and answers, not debate on what I am loading or why. Guess I'll have to try some other more helpful sites. But thank you all for your expertise.

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    Through hundreds of online searches, I've found it's fairly common when you have a projectile that falls between 2 common for caliber weights, you simply use the data for the heavier one as a reference point to get you in the ballpark so to speak. In this case just use the 71gr data.
    As far as COL, the gun and the mags should be your guide....not just the recipe. Again, the 71gr data should get you going in the right direction.
    Load them as long as possible, work up the powder charge using 71gr data as a "guide", and use a chrono to verify the results are making sense.

pdood

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2022
    NWI
    I didn't question anybody's knowledge. My comments were that some responses were only to give their opinion on what I should or shouldn't load and not to actually answer the questions that I asked. But yes, someone did finally respond and gave an answer to the question I asked. So maybe it is worth while to stick around. Thanks

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    While I respect all of your opinions, it still doesn't answer my questions. I joined this site seeking information and answers, not debate on what I am loading or why. Guess I'll have to try some other more helpful sites. But thank you all for your expertise.
    I was replying to Leadeye only. That's why I quoted him. I'll look up in my reloading manual take some pictures if I find a load that you want.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    63   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    Through hundreds of online searches, I've found it's fairly common when you have a projectile that falls between 2 common for caliber weights, you simply use the data for the heavier one as a reference point to get you in the ballpark so to speak. In this case just use the 71gr data.
    As far as COL, the gun and the mags should be your guide....not just the recipe. Again, the 71gr data should get you going in the right direction.
    Load them as long as possible, work up the powder charge using 71gr data as a "guide", and use a chrono to verify the results are making sense.
    THIS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    335   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Don’t sweat it, @pdoodley. I’ve asked specific questions about reloading only to be told that Trump won the election, Schumer is a satanist and the earth is flat. The digression on many of these threads is impressive, but it’ll usually get to the point sooner or later.

Welcome to INGO.

Also, much like what @t-squared said, I would think that 71gn max data would be good mid-point for a 65gn JHP. You probably already know this but Hodgdon Reloading Data Center is one of the best resources out there.

Last edited:

pdood

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2022
    NWI
    Don’t sweat it, @pdoodley. I’ve asked specific questions about reloading only to be told that Trump won the election, Schumer is a satanist and the earth is flat. The digression on many of these threads is impressive, but it’ll usually get to the point sooner or later.

Welcome to INGO.

Also, much like what @t-squared said, I would think that 71gn max data would be good mid-point for a 65gn JHP. You probably already know this but Hodgdon Reloading Data Center is one of the best resources out there.
    I hear what you're saying about responses. I've visited many sites and found that most are just used as an opportunity to "show off" rather than help. Which is sad because you'd think that if a site wanted to grow, it would promote being more encouraging and helpful rather than a sounding board for those that just want to tell you about what they do with what they've got instead of providing info relevant to what you asked about what. I'm sure this will PO many here and will result in even more irrelevant responses but....., looking at the responders' ratings of "master" and Grandmaster" etc., it appears to be just another "good ol' boys" club of regulars seeing who can out cute each other. Plenty of those sites around. I was hoping for something different here.

About the reload data, I thought as much, i.e. that if I used 71 gr data it would be safe for 65 gr. I've been reloading for 40 years but I am an extremely cautious reloader and don't like to take chances on something blowing up in my hand. I just wanted to be sure. Thanks for your helpful reply.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    I hear what you're saying about responses. I've visited many sites and found that most are just used as an opportunity to "show off" rather than help. Which is sad because you'd think that if a site wanted to grow, it would promote being more encouraging and helpful rather than a sounding board for those that just want to tell you about what they do with what they've got instead of providing info relevant to what you asked about what. I'm sure this will PO many here and will result in even more irrelevant responses but....., looking at the responders' ratings of "master" and Grandmaster" etc., it appears to be just another "good ol' boys" club of regulars seeing who can out cute each other. Plenty of those sites around. I was hoping for something different here.

About the reload data, I thought as much, i.e. that if I used 71 gr data it would be safe for 65 gr. I've been reloading for 40 years but I am an extremely cautious reloader and don't like to take chances on something blowing up in my hand. I just wanted to be sure. Thanks for your helpful reply.
    I think you might have made some assumptions. Everyone who replied was genuinely trying to help. Those who have posted in this thread I certainly wouldn’t categorize as show offs or trolls.

The replies may have been more focused if you had put you have 40 years of reloading in your original post. With that kind of experience you should already know the shortcomings of that cartridge with a lighter bullet. But we didn’t know your level of experience.

Sidebar conversations are a big thing on INGO. Don’t take offense.

Best of luck to you with your reloading endeavors sir.

pdood

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2022
    NWI
    I think you might have made some assumptions. Everyone who replied was genuinely trying to help. Those who have posted in this thread I certainly wouldn’t categorize as show offs or trolls.

The replies may have been more focused if you had put you have 40 years of reloading in your original post. With that kind of experience you should already know the shortcomings of that cartridge with a lighter bullet. But we didn’t know your level of experience.

I stipulate that based on what I read in the responses; I may have made some assumptions. As did some of the responders. For example, those whose opinions were that light grain bullets (i.e. 65 gr) are a "waste of money" as heavier grain bullets "...give more penetration" appear to be assuming that I am loading these to shoot something that is alive rather than plinking. I fully realize that a 32 acp is NOT the ideal self defense gun, nor would I consider using it as such. I have several other heavy caliber handguns for that. Every firearm is not for self defense. Some are just for fun. Thanks for your input.

pdood

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2022
    NWI

And not to beat a dead horse, while I appreciate your defense of the responders, I don't totally agree that "Everyone who replied was genuinely trying to help". Maybe I've gotten thin skinned in my old age but please explain to me how this response was helpful in the least;

2in1evtime

Master​

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60 0 0
    Add Feedback
    Oct 30, 20113,229113retired-midwest
    THIS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom