300 Savage Project - Making New Brass (pic heavy)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    I was approached by an INGO'er several weeks ago about custom loading 300 Savage ammo for a Savage Model 99 lever action. He noted he didn't have any brass to provide, and after searching, I found that it was upwards of $2 per casing. A little more research and some thinking, I realized I could make the brass out of 308 Win brass, cut down and trimmed, and it would be significantly less expensive (although much harder on the hands.)

I started with PPU virgin 308 brass.

Using a table top chop saw (not shown) to remove 0.025" from the neck of the 308 Win brass, the brass was formed with the Redding 300 Savage die. Afterward, it was trimmed down in the Lyman Xtreme trimmer to 1.861" OAL.

Each case was then checked for uniform mouth trimming and even shoulders.

Each case was then chamfered and deburred - inside and out.

After a quick spin in the tumbler to remove all the shavings and case forming lube, they were on to the bench.

Federal 210 Large Rifle primers, and 44.0gns of RL-17 for an approximate velocity of 2500fps.

I wanted this project to be fun, so I tracked down the Hornady 150gn SST that's made specifically for the 300 Savage. Hard to find but really good bullets.

Finish it all up with the Lee Factory Crimp (for the rotary magazine in the Savage Model 99)

Final OAL and quality control checks - at this point each piece of brass has been through the case gauge four times.

Last and final check:

And packaged, ready to go out.

This was a particularly satisfying project due completely to making the brass from scratch. It was difficult and my hands are hurting, but this is the magic of reloading. If you can't find what you need, make it yourself.

I'm excited to get reviews from the purchaser. I'm sending 50 rounds to start for function testing in his rifle, then more once I get a report.

Happy Thanksgiving, and thanks for reading.

Last edited:

jsn_mooney

Marksman
    Nov 3, 2008
    South Of Richmond
    Nice work Andrew! Although it is hard on the hands, it's very satisfying to make your own brass and get these old guns back on the range and in the field. It's amazing how many hard to find cartridge cases can be formed from readily obtainable ones.
    Over the past year I have made quite a bit of 8x57 brass from .30-'06. Did everything the same, and made a homemade jig to hold the case square while cutting the bulk of the excess off.
    Happy Thanksgiving

Noble Sniper

Master
    Site Supporter
    Feb 22, 2010
    Anderson, Indiana
    Beautiful rifle and fine looking ammo!!! I have a 1951 ( If I remember right) 99EG in 300 Savage. I’d buy a thousand rounds of brass if Starline would make it. The Remington and Winchester is ok but Starline would be better.

RCB

Sharpshooter
    Aug 17, 2009
    Near Bedford
    Was there a report as to how these reloads performed? I've still got some 300 savage, but thinking of reloading this as I may be getting a second 300 savage rifle.

ShimmeringTrees

Amish Jack Wagon
    Mar 4, 2023
    Indiana
    Not to hijack, but I am. Care to look into 500 auto max? Not many people make the round, the ones who do, make it expensive. I'd like to have a cheaper way to actually enjoy the firearm.

Top Bottom