• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Greenwood
    Does anyone happen to have a 30 nosler go gauge? I bought a new rifle but the bolt takes a lot of force to close on factory ammo. I want to just check for piece of mind with a go gauge. I would pay to borrow it.
    Any other ideas what could cause it

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Was it a factory built rifle like a Browning or a Savage? I would call them first thing.

You could also measure the datum line on the shoulder of new ammo, and compare that to the SAAMI spec. If it was just slightly out of spec ammo, you would save yourself time and shipping.

mms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Greenwood
    It’s a nosler rifle, I sent them an email yesterday. But if I could self help for minimal cost I would. Just to save shipping it and the time lost. I drew an elk tag and want to spend some time shooting the rifle before the hunt

JEBland

INGO's least subtle Alphabet agency taskforce spy
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    I've got to run to work, so this is less coherent than I'd prefer.

Have you tried operating the action at different speeds?

My T/C Dimension doesn't like when I operate the bolt slowly (.270 Win barrel) but does fine when operating the bolt at normal speeds (fast but not rushing). The cartridges got kinda stuck at the shoulder when I did it too slowly, but the hangups don't happen when operating normally.

You could buy a gauge set, say here
    https://pacifictoolandgauge.com/saa...auges-headspace-gauge-set-go-no-go-field.html ,
    then sell it after diagnosing the issue.

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    Does anyone happen to have a 30 nosler go gauge? I bought a new rifle but the bolt takes a lot of force to close on factory ammo. I want to just check for piece of mind with a go gauge. I would pay to borrow it.

It never hurts to check headspace and you should definitely speak with Nosler.

If available, I would also try a different load or a different brand of ammo to see if it still happens. It could be specific to the brand/load. Some barrels have throats on the shorter side which can force the bullet to jam into the rifling. I say this because two of my Savage 223 bolt guns close hard on most Hornady factory varmint ammo I have shot in them. In my situation, I confirmed that the bullet is jamming into the rifling.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GetLow16
    Top Bottom