• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Purdue1991

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 19, 2022
    Stay away from Universal Firearms from Hialeah, FL. They made copies in the late 60's that were, well, just bad. I made the mistake of buying one at an auction about 20 years ago. It was junk...

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    For what it’s worth… I’d throw my hat in for a new production Auto Ordnance simply based on, if it don’t run right you can at least send it back. Surplus guns not so much.

Agreed on the universal guns, all that I have seen are pretty rough.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    For what it’s worth… I’d throw my hat in for a new production Auto Ordnance simply based on, if it don’t run right you can at least send it back. Surplus guns not so much.

Agreed on the universal guns, all that I have seen are pretty rough.
    I have an AO. It does NOT like 30 round mags. They don't lock in tight. 15 rounders do perfectly fine.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    When Auto Ordance came out with theirs it looked like a good shooter to have. But the reviews are all over the place so not sure.

I’d love for Springfield Armory to start making some M1 Garands and M1 Carbines again for us to have a new shooter
    Fulton Armory I believe still makes the M1 Carbine. It'll be expensive though.

M1 carbine dad

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 16, 2010
    Danville
    A few years ago, I was able to snag an early 60's Plainfield machine M1 for $300. knowing it wasn't a WW2 gun was fine since it's a dedicated shooter. It works great for me, no issues at all.

As everyone above has said, stay away from Universal. I saw someone trying to private sale one at a show for almost a grand and you could literally see where they had welded the receiver for whatever reason.

Caveat Emptor and good luck !

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Guess I didn't overpay, I bought mine in 1994 at Jerry's gun shop in Rensselaer for $170 - it has a few stock scars but bore and works are great - accurate little firearm!

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    I remember the good old days when my Dad (RIP) bought M1 Carbines from Service Arms Corporation in NJ for less than $100 each. Boy I wish I still had them.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    I have an AO. It does NOT like 30 round mags. They don't lock in tight. 15 rounders do perfectly fine.

I don't know if that's the gun or the 30 round mags. Most of the 30 round mags I have run across are junk. They either don't lock in, or they don't feed well. I've had the best luck with Korean surplus 30 round mags.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I don't know if that's the gun or the 30 round mags. Most of the 30 round mags I have run across are junk. They either don't lock in, or they don't feed well. I've had the best luck with Korean surplus 30 round mags.
    The ones I have are KCI mags. They run fine if I hold them forward in the magwell. I think I need a different mag catch.

FNparabellum

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Aug 30, 2022
    Indianapolis
    A mixed parts reimport stamped m1 carbine would Be on the list. Will be a rebuilt arsenal gun so they could be any number of makers involved. Should be easy to tell with the barrel reimport marks
    Inland is the only one i have experience with. There fairly inexpensive compared to the collection grade guys and runs reliably.

Top Bottom