• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    A mixed parts reimport stamped m1 carbine would Be on the list. Will be a rebuilt arsenal gun so they could be any number of makers involved. Should be easy to tell with the barrel reimport marks

JRR85

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    NWI
    Inland was the most prolific manufacturer. They tend to be the least expensive but you are still looking at around $1000 or more for one. The good ole days of the CMP selling them are long long gone!

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Inland was the most prolific manufacturer. They tend to be the least expensive but you are still looking at around $1000 or more for one. The good ole days of the CMP selling them are long long gone!
    I paid 1200 for my inland over a year ago from a private seller (with a sling, and 1 mag)

Midway USA had them starting at 1200 and going up, depending on condition and receiver maker (they were all rebuilds)

Classic firearms gets them in from tiMe to time, but I think they’ve raised the starting price to 1400.

Back when I worked at a shop, I had a guy ask us to order a chiappa m1 carbine, it looked just like a carbine but it took beretta m92 mags and was a 9mm, the guy came back and said it shot great, and I think it was only about 700

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    I’ve owned, shot and sold at least 3 USGI carbines over the years. I think any manufacturer is good as they all were made to interchange parts. Check for barrel wear.

I turned down one that had at one point been an M2 carbine (select full auto). It no longer was set up with all the auto parts. It showed some heavy wear, which I assume came from running auto through many rounds

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I’ve owned, shot and sold at least 3 USGI carbines over the years. I think any manufacturer is good as they all were made to interchange parts. Check for barrel wear.

I turned down one that had at one point been an M2 carbine (select full auto). It no longer was set up with all the auto parts. It showed some heavy wear, which I assume came from running auto through many rounds
    Once a machine gun, always a machine gun.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana

I'm the one who brought machine guns into this thread again?
    If you didn't want it discussed why did you post that little ditty of information. lol

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    Touche’. I stand corrected, my fault. Merely mentioning seeing a worn out GI carbine as a point to observe in buying one rather than necessarily looking at the best manufacturers.

I did bring it up in the correct context, though.

On a side note, since we are changing this to class 3 federal firearms info, the said carbine was marked m1 carbine and over marked m2. It was quite an interesting discussion and debate piece to the “once a machine gun always a machine gun” law. It had started as an M1 carbine, I believe, and was changed over. Then, changed back.

Regardless, it was worn out

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Touche’. I stand corrected, my fault. Merely mentioning seeing a worn out GI carbine as a point to observe in buying one rather than necessarily looking at the best manufacturers.

I did bring it up in the correct context, though.

On a side note, since we are changing this to class 3 federal firearms info, the said carbine was marked m1 carbine and over marked m2. It was quite an interesting discussion and debate piece to the “once a machine gun always a machine gun” law. It had started as an M1 carbine, I believe, and was changed over. Then, changed back.

Regardless, it was worn out
    It was easy to convert until May 20, 1986.
    Plenty of semis that were converted prier to the deadline.
    Like these below, easy conversion, fill your paperwork out back then, pay and get your stamp.
    Do your build or conversions.
    Both are Cobrays, the left one is a open bolt semi auto. The right is a bent frame that was bought in the early eightys.

20220925_160513.jpg

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I paid $800 for my IBM (I'm in IT - had to have it. :): ) and it about killed me. I thought it was way too much at the time, but now they've nearly doubled in price.
    I bought my IBM for the same reason. I think I paid $1100 for mine though, so I would not feel bad for what you paid for yours.

I had an early '78 Era Plainfield build IJ that was a nice shooter. Only the receiver and stock were not USGI.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I bought my IBM for the same reason. I think I paid $1100 for mine though, so I would not feel bad for what you paid for yours.

I had an early '78 Era Plainfield build IJ that was a nice shooter. Only the receiver and stock were not USGI.
    I got mine back in 2013. They had already started going up, so I figured I'd better get it before they went higher.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    FWIW, I’ve got one of the Auto Ordinance carbines. I haven’t shot it a ton but it’s been reliable.

I’ve signed up for those automated emails for several on-line gun retailers. Midway is one of them. When I got the email that they were going to have batches of several manufacturers of carbines a couple years ago, I jumped on it. Another one is Classic Firearms. Three months ago (maybe) they sent out word they had some carbines for sale. My gun fun was still recovering from a previous purchase so I let that one slide by. OP, you if you’re interests lie in old stock, you might think about doing like I did. In my experience, I wouldn’t have a problem recommending a AO.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Right after CMP sold out I could of kicked myself not getting one. Hit a Shipshewana gun show and bought a mint 1941 Inland with 300 rounds of ammo and 3 30rd mags for fullsizeoutput_5e.jpeg $350 !!! Best gun show score ever. I saw a Winchester on gun broker up to $1100 no reserve with 2 more days....most others are around $1400 and some cheaper Universal. I bought a Universal from JC Penny catalog back around 1980 for $140 but it was junk, oval shaped bore at end of barrel, couldn't hit the side of a barn.

Top Bottom