• ...and so much more!
  • RMOR

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Anderson
    Drones over U.S. get OK by Congress - Washington Times

"The FAA has issued hundreds of certificates to police and other government agencies, and a handful to research institutions to allow them to fly drones of various kinds over the United States for particular missions.

The agency said it issued 313 certificates in 2011 and 295 of them were still active at the end of the year, but the FAA refuses to disclose which agencies have the certificates and what their purposes are."

Of course they refuse to disclose their purposes. All in the name of peace and safety, and in the end we will have neither.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    You can bet that a good number of them will be going to domestic spy agencies in the Federal Government.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I can see real estate folk, rail road, pipeline, checking mountain passes for snow depth and drifting, Road inspections for pot holes, High voltage transmission wire checking, using the drones for private needs.

I don't think the US GOV will be using 30,000 drones myself. Heck I think with a small camera and a hobby RC plane I could make a drone myself.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I can't wait to read about the drone that flew into the engine of a jumbo with the result that 400 plus people on the plane were killed, and several hundred killed in the school that the plane fell onto.

Actually, I hope I never read the above, but something to think about when our right to privacy goes the way of the Woolly Mammoth.

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    I can see real estate folk, rail road, pipeline, checking mountain passes for snow depth and drifting, Road inspections for pot holes, High voltage transmission wire checking, using the drones for private needs.

I don't think the US GOV will be using 30,000 drones myself. Heck I think with a small camera and a hobby RC plane I could make a drone myself.

Done it, it worked. Used a wireless nannycam. Tough to fly watching a screen.

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    It is becoming more clear each day whom are the true domestic terrorists.

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    I can't wait to read about the drone that flew into the engine of a jumbo with the result that 400 plus people on the plane were killed, and several hundred killed in the school that the plane fell onto.

Do you really think that is how the story would be written?

My guess is they would blame it on a terrorist and call for increased measures encroaching on Liberty... to keep us safe of course.

RMOR

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Anderson

Sure, I don't think anyone is saying that the Feds are going to be employing 30k drones all by themselves. But I would imagine that they will have an interest in the lion's share. I would also think that they will use them however they see fit, if their surveillance happens to trample on some liberties here and there then so be it. After all they've already set the precedent that they will not disclose who is using them and what they're using them for. Sounds reasonable, huh?

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Oh Christ! How many of you folks use Google Earth? How many of you watch accident scenes on television broadcast from a news helicopter? How many of you watch aerial views of auto racing or football games broadcast from one of several brands of dirigible/blimps owned by Goodyear, FujiFilm or others? If that doesn't bother you, think about why it doesn't.

RMOR

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Anderson
    Oh Christ! How many of you folks use Google Earth? How many of you watch accident scenes on television broadcast from a news helicopter? How many of you watch aerial views of auto racing or football games broadcast from one of several brands of dirigible/blimps owned by Goodyear, FujiFilm or others? If that doesn't bother you, think about why it doesn't.

I don't share your take on the peaceful/innocent intentions of the program. I do hope I'm wrong and you're right though.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    It's ok to have drones patrolling the air, as long as they aren't armed.

It's ok to have armed drones patrolling the air as long as they can only be used with a warrant.

It's ok to use armed drones without a warrant, as long as it's against terrorists and not citizens.

It's ok to use armed drones against citizens as long as they're terrorists.

It's ok to use armed drones agianst citizens.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    John McCain wants to use Predator drones against targets inside the United States

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7tavj7Jhko[/ame]

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    What can i say? The republican controlled congress knows whats best for us!
    1. It's a Republican controlled House, it's a divided Congress
    2. The FAA operates under a director appointed by the president, that operates on behalf of the president, theoretically within the confines of the law set by the house, this is all to do with the Executive Branch, not the legislative branch.
    3. The bill passed by the divided Congress, makes it easier for the FAA to keep doing what it already has been.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    OK, getting a BIT more rational about this article. I don't remember the numbers anymore, but I don't think there are 30k aircraft operating in the entire continental US, including commercial, military, and civilian aircraft - and probably including radio-controlled model aircraft, too! While I can understand everyone's gut reaction to the idea of ubiquitous unmanned aerial vehicles filling our skies, in reality, the current Air Traffic Control System is barely adequate to "control" US Airspace as is. Add in any significant number of UAVs for local, regional, and national surveillance purposes and you will get an uncontrollable mess. Once again, while I understand everyone's fears, the horse has already left the barn years ago. If it bothers you that much, start working to get all those news helicopters out of the air right now, since they're the precedent UAVs will be using for their operations.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    The List OF 75 US Senators Who Voted To Let 30,000 Drones Shoot Americans In The Streets

Lamar Alexander (R-TN)
    Kelly Ayotte (R-NH)
    Max Baucus (D-MT)
    Mark Begich (D-AK)
    Michael Bennet (D-CO)
    Jeff Bingaman (D-NM)
    Roy Blunt (R-MO)
    John Boozman (R-AR)
    Barbara Boxer (D-CA)
    Scott Brown (R-MA)
    Richard Burr (R-NC)
    Maria Cantwell (D-WA)