• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    I am hoping to tap the INGO brain trust.

Story time. We are looking to build a country home. We have 2 lots our realtor is investigating. Both have long lanes. One has 1/8th mile and the other has a 1/4 mile lane.

We are already in the process of ordering a RAM 2500 Laramie gasser for towning our travel trailer. I added the upfitter box and dash switches to our truck order for the plow.

I was thinking a snow plow on the truck would be much nicer than getting a big snow blower or getting a garden tractor with a plow/blower. But I don't want to drive all winter long with the blade on the front. I would think a quick disconnect would be a popular option, but I only seem to find one brand when searching online.

I don't think we need a super heavy duty one. It would just be used on our property.

1. What brands have a quick disconnect?
    2. What would be a good value brand for personal use?
    3. Do you know of any good/reliable places in the Fort Wayne area you would trust to install this on a brand new truck?

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Nowadays they are all qd.

Full disclosure: I sell plows. In particular snowex and buyers aka Snowdog

Snowex is owned by Douglas dynamics. They also own other plow brands such as western. Parts interchangeable between these two brands for the most part. Pretty solid options here.

I own a 15 year old boss plow. Bought waaaay before I sold equipment. Back then, they were good. Since toro bought them recently, they aren't near as good. Read: cheapened up aka Chinese wiring harness.

Meyer makes a good unit also.

The buyers aka snowdogg brand is cheaper than all listed above. Great value for a residential user. Would I buy one if using it for my job? No. For my own driveway only? Yes.

Ultimately, buy from a dealer you know and trust. Prices on plows have went up 25% in the last 2 years so if you can find a dealer with old stock, you stand to save well over $1000 or more.

Btw, all mentioned above take less than a minute to attach or detach

Last edited:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I can assure you that it would be worth your time to seek out bocefus78 at his place of employment if you're looking to buy anything they sell. I've never been treated better or more fairly than I have been with his employer and their staff including bocefus78.

gunrunner0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Goshen
    I plow my 1500' driveway with an older GMC 2500HD and Western plow. I think all the major brands have some form of QD mount now. My Western takes me about 2-3 minutes to put on and take off. But my truck is a secondary vehicle, so the plow generally goes on in December and stays there until April. I think if I were to put it on and take it off regularly, it would probably be faster.

I have a straight blade plow, but if I were to do it again, I would buy a V-plow. About 1200' of my drive is bordered on one side by a tree line on one side and open farm field on the other. Drifting is a constant problem. If you keep up on plowing during larger storms, it's fine. A V-plow would be much better though for busting drifts when they pile up. It's miserable taking small bites all the way down the drive to plow deep drifts.

You should also consider what if any modifications you may need to do to the truck to plow efficiently. I've found sand bags in the back for ballast and Timbren bump stops to make a huge difference. I would add a locking rear diff if I was ordering a new truck as well.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    I plow my 1500' driveway with an older GMC 2500HD and Western plow. I think all the major brands have some form of QD mount now. My Western takes me about 2-3 minutes to put on and take off. But my truck is a secondary vehicle, so the plow generally goes on in December and stays there until April. I think if I were to put it on and take it off regularly, it would probably be faster.

I have a straight blade plow, but if I were to do it again, I would buy a V-plow. About 1200' of my drive is bordered on one side by a tree line on one side and open farm field on the other. Drifting is a constant problem. If you keep up on plowing during larger storms, it's fine. A V-plow would be much better though for busting drifts when they pile up. It's miserable taking small bites all the way down the drive to plow deep drifts.

You should also consider what if any modifications you may need to do to the truck to plow efficiently. I've found sand bags in the back for ballast and Timbren bump stops to make a huge difference. I would add a locking rear diff if I was ordering a new truck as well.
    I am getting the Off Road 4x4 package (skid plates, bigger tires & a small lift), locking rear diff, 4.10 gears, dual alternators and batteries (only like $200 more and I know those plows require good electric power), and the snow plow prep package in addition to the upfitter signal box and upfitter switches.

I'm not sure if the factory will offer anything else.

What else do you think would be needed on a RAM?

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    Nowadays they are all qd.

Full disclosure: I sell plows. In particular snowex and buyers aka Snowdog

Snowex is owned by Douglas dynamics. They also own other plow brands such as western. Parts interchangeable between these two brands for the most part. Pretty solid options here.

I own a 15 year old boss plow. Bought waaaay before I sold equipment. Back then, they were good. Since toro bought them recently, they aren't near as good. Read: cheapened up aka Chinese wiring harness.

Meyer makes a good unit also.

The buyers aka snowdogg brand is cheaper than all listed above. Great value for a residential user. Would I buy one if using it for my job? No. For my own driveway only? Yes.

Ultimately, buy from a dealer you know and trust. Prices on plows have went up 25% in the last 2 years so if you can find a dealer with old stock, you stand to save well over $1000 or more.

Btw, all mentioned above take less than a minute to attach or detach
    Thanks for the info.

If I wanted to check your place of business out, where would I do that? Hamilton County is not to far. About a 2 hour drive.

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    I just use a blade on the 4wd garden tractor. Thought about a blade for the F350, but feel the garden tractor is more practical for my needs. Actually made an adapter to use the blade from my now retired JD425 on the Simplicity. Takes about 3 minutes to put it on or take it off. 49EB4AFA-8C4B-4887-BCBD-55CB60BF95B2.jpeg

Biggredchev

Just some guy
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Pretty much Michigan.
    Heres a video on hooking up a western plow.

Im not telling you to get a western, just using it as an example. Theyre all pretty much this easy to mount and dismount once the truck side is installed.

gunrunner0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Goshen
    What else do you think would be needed on a RAM?

I'd get the plow on and see how it runs this winter. I found upgraded bump stops in the front to be beneficial, but that's on an 18 year old pickup. The factory bump stops were all but gone. You may not need to do much with a well outfitted, new truck.

You will definitely want some weight in the back for ballast. I run 700 lbs of sandbags in mine and it makes a huge difference in traction. How much you need will depend on the plow you go with. I think the big name plow companies have ballast calculators on their websites.

Also, if you're plowing gravel, look at putting a pipe on the cutting edge of the plow. It will greatly reduce the amount of gravel you'll plow up. The plow shoes (at least on the Western plows) only work if the driveway is 100% frozen.

Top Bottom