• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dancrichy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2015
    Indianapolis
    What about a .308? I'm trying to decide between a 6.5 and .308. The slightly larger round and history behind the .308 make it appealing. But all the new info on the ballistics of the 6.5 make it seem like a close competitor. Thoughts?

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    If you aren't a reloader, .308 has much greater appeal because of the wide variety and easily availability of factory ammo at just about any store that sells ammo, including the average big box store.
    Even if you're a reloader, the .308 has some advantages because of much wider bullet selection and because it's legal for elk and moose in all states where it's legal to hunt them.
    The 6.5 has some advantages for flatness of trajectory at extended range, but probably most hunters won't be able to realize those advantages.
    Just MNSHO

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    I'd vote .270win, that's my go to rifle for VA hunting. I've never had a deer go more than 20 yards after a shot. I've also hit a deer a close to 200 yards at a full out sprint and rolled her right in her path.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I'd vote .270win, that's my go to rifle for VA hunting. I've never had a deer go more than 20 yards after a shot. I've also hit a deer a close to 200 yards at a full out sprint and rolled her right in her path.

Jack O'Connor sang its praises for decades, and millions of hunters would agree with him and you.
    Of course, shot placement is paramount, even for the guys who blast small Texas bucks at 10 yards in thick scrub with .45-70 lever guns.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    .270 is a great all around hunting cartridge and, at worst, is a solid performer on the range. 6.5 creedmoor has some advantages on the range at distance and reloading that tipped the scales slightly in its favor. Very slightly. For me, this isn't a one size fits all caliber or the "best" caliber, I was specifically looking for an intermediate cartridge for range and hunting. 6.5 creedmoor gives me a nice hog/deer/maybe elk round that I can play around with at the range out to 1000 yards.

308 is just another animal. I have it and its one of my favorite to shoot, especially in my well used M&P 10 which now has a sub-moa load - which is more accurate than that gun should be. Ballistically, if you want to stretch out beyond 600 on the range though, 6.5 creedmoor just has it beat. At least, I haven't had much luck with it - but then again my skills are limited. I haven't specially checked the data in the following link but it sounds about right. 6.5 Creedmoor Vs 308 Winchester - AccuracyTech Again, if you are at hunting distances (say, well under 400 yards) - take your pick...)

It depends on what your use is. If it is a hunting and less than 600 yard range round - .308 is hard to beat. Though, if we want to talk 308; you have to look at 30-06. The versatility in loads (if you hand load) in the 30-06 is hard beat in ANY caliber.

The table below does not tell the whole story (see earlier post with charts with high BC 6.5 creedmoor bullets) but it does show us how close all these calibers really are - especially if its a hunting round.

65-chart-1.jpg

Last edited:

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Have to agree about the grand old all-American '06, an easy choice to make for the hunter and shooter looking to buy only one centerfire rifle, including myself.
    Just curious, but did you ever consider moving up to the big brother of the Creedmor, the .264 Winchester Magnum?
    You don't seem overly concerned about ammo availability, so the decisive (at least on paper) ballistic advantage of the much larger round might make it an even better choice for some applications, although barrel life (or so it's been claimed) might be less, especially when target shooting.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    Baseball, hot dogs, apple pie and 30-06. That's about as American as it gets!

.264 was considered but I put it behind the 257 and 270 weatherby magnums. I have heavy recoiling magnums and as this gun is headed for some range use; the light recoil of the 6.5 creedmoor was a factor. Might not make a difference after 20 rounds; but shoot 60 rounds on target plus sighting shots and it gets noticeable.

dancrichy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I don't know much about the .264 Win Magnum. I'll have to do some research. For how much I'll probably be able to shoot it ammo availability isn't a drastic concern, but it definitely plays a role, which is why I was considering the .308. I'm somewhat new to the high power rifle game so don't have a ton of knowledge. As you mentioned, barrel life for the .308 supposedly 'could' last a few years more than one of the creedmore rounds, especially if you don't shoot a lot. I think what has been said is true though - most shots will be under 600 to 700 yards, and the times someone shoots longer, or I would shoot longer, would be limited and not for hunting, possibly taking the superior ballistics out of the question.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    I don't know much about the .264 Win Magnum. I'll have to do some research. For how much I'll probably be able to shoot it ammo availability isn't a drastic concern, but it definitely plays a role, which is why I was considering the .308. I'm somewhat new to the high power rifle game so don't have a ton of knowledge. As you mentioned, barrel life for the .308 supposedly 'could' last a few years more than one of the creedmore rounds, especially if you don't shoot a lot. I think what has been said is true though - most shots will be under 600 to 700 yards, and the times someone shoots longer, or I would shoot longer, would be limited and not for hunting, possibly taking the superior ballistics out of the question.

What are your goals with this cartridge? I think you will end with our personal preferences here more than A is better and than B. I'm still gonna stick with "if you have just ONE high powered rifle it should be a bolt action 30-06".

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    For Elk, I'm a fan of 7mm RM. A friend in WY shoots Barnes 140s and heavier Bergers with great success. Wind in WY is a given.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    What are your goals with this cartridge? I think you will end with our personal preferences here more than A is better and than B. I'm still gonna stick with "if you have just ONE high powered rifle it should be a bolt action 30-06".

I know it is sacrilege but if I'm only going to have only one center fire rifle(I shudder at the thought) it would be a .30 caliber but not the .30-06 nor the .308. For me with hunting as the main purpose I would choose either the 300 win mag or 300 WSM with the WSM likely getting the nod for versatility.

dancrichy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I'm looking for a round that can be used for both hunting, and range/target shooting. I've thought about the 300 win mag, but the price doesn't seem to be worth the extra power as I'll be using the rifle for more than just hunting. So in the end it really comes down to a few things: Versatility, Availability, Price, and long range power.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    So in the end it really comes down to a few things: Versatility, Availability, Price, and long range power.

Let's assume a bolt action platform of 8 pounds or more and, if you are not reloading, range work of under 750 yards and Midwest hunting conditions. Here is my list in terms of recoil. Let's also exclude magnum cartridges (like 257 Weatherby, 300 Win, 7mm RUM etc.) and wildcats or stuff like 6.5 Sweed.

.243 - Versatile, Commonly available (though match ammo limited unless you reload), Competitively price, Flat shooting but limited "long" range power. Enough for Indiana deer.

.270 - Versatile, Commonly available (hunting and some match ammo), Competitively price, Flat shooting long range power.

.308 - Versatile, Available, Affordable and carries power down range.

30-06 - Versatile (110 to 220 gr), Available (Bubba's Gas n Go carries ten 30-06 loads), Affordable (bulk to premium) and carries power down range (ask our enemies in WWII).

If you want something that takes most of the best of all these rounds - begin at the first post of this thread. LOL!!

I rated them in terms of recoil since you want to do range work - it is a factor. I am a bit of recoil junkie but when I take my 300 WBY to the range I don't put 10 rounds downrange...one of the reasons I'm going with 6.5 creedmoor is a want my 60th shot to be as comfortable as my first. Even with 308, my shoulder let's me know that its been abused.

Last edited:

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    To some extent, there is inherent tension between a target and a hunting caliber. For hunting, you need heavier bullets, and terminal performance matters more than BC. Target shooting favors high BC bullets and smaller calibers (6mm-6.5mm especially).

The target question is easy to answer: get a popular 6mm or 6.5mm and you're good to 1k.

Hunting, however, is a HUGE question, because taking a polar bear at 800m is going to require something quite a bit different than a coyote at 200m. Or deer at 150m.

If you are only going to be taking deer at modest ranges, or coyotes at longer range, then your target rifle will handle hunting just fine.

But if you are looking for bigger (CPX3+) at pretty long ranges, I'd skip over all the 30s personally and go all the way to .338. .338 Fed is good for big critters at shorter range. As you go to longer ranges, I'd graduate to .338WinMag then .338 LM big for really long range critters.

*advice based on extensive reading, not much experience, take as you see fit*

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    Just as a follow-up; finally got the 6.5 Creedmoor up and running. Ending up with a Howa 1500 Long Range Rifle with a Vortex 6x24 PST (Thanks Andy @ AA Optics!!!). Worked through the breaking in and sighting today with Hornady factory ammo.

Below is the best 5 shot group with Hornady 140 gr ELD match. Groups varied from 1.1 inches to the below 0.70 inches. 147 gr ELD Match stayed around an inch. 140 gr BTHP was inconsistent from 0.75" to 3".

Personally, I am pretty impressed with all factory gear and less than 50 rounds down the barrel.

Will probably start working on a load with Berger 140 gr Hybrid Target.

IMG_4821.jpg

IMG_4821.jpg

IMG_4821.jpg
    IMG_4821.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom