• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I'm a little surprised INGO hasn't picked this one up yet: https://www.reuters.com/world/us/de...ears-paralyzes-greater-buffalo-ny-2022-12-26/

A powerful blizzard that paralyzed western New York over the Christmas weekend has killed at least 25 people, local officials said on Monday, as road and utility crews struggled to dig out the snowed-in region around Buffalo.

Other sources are reporting 16 of them were in cars. I wonder how many froze to death and how many carbon monoxide poison deaths?

I would suspect most of us are familiar with the idea of tea candle heaters, but given the extreme cold they were dealing with would it be enough?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Probably cars, I remember warnings about CO poisoning in cars after the blizzard in 78 which doesn't look as bad as this one in Buffalo. I would imagine that modern cars are tighter than their ancestors from the 60s and 70s.

Modern HE gas furnaces don't have really hot exhaust like older models, it's usually a PVC pipe. This getting closed off by snow might stop furnaces or make CO back up in the house. Wish CM was still here, he would have an accurate answer.

Lpherr

Occupied
    Probably cars, I remember warnings about CO poisoning in cars after the blizzard in 78 which doesn't look as bad as this one in Buffalo. I would imagine that modern cars are tighter than their ancestors from the 60s and 70s.

Modern HE gas furnaces don't have really hot exhaust like older models, it's usually a PVC pipe. This getting closed off by snow might stop furnaces or make CO back up in the house. Wish CM was still here, he would have an accurate answer.
    HE furnaces won't ignite, if the exhaust is blocked.
    Some have screens on the exhaust, and it condensates and freezes, blocking the exhaust. Some are close to the ground, and snow can block the exhaust. In both cases, the furnace won't ignite.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I would be interested to know how the victims were dressed. One’s clothing is your first layer of shelter, and it seems so many people these days don’t dress for the weather, or carry seasonal clothing in their vehicle. (Being used to moving from one climate controlled envelope to the next.)

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I would be interested to know how the victims were dressed. One’s clothing is your first layer of shelter, and it seems so many people these days don’t dress for the weather, or carry seasonal clothing in their vehicle. (Being used to moving from one climate controlled envelope to the next.)
    I am guilty of this but most always plan as if I will have to walk home or to known shelter.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Some folks you just can't get through to. I have a fishing buddy, will soon turn 83. Fell off a roof earlier this year, breaking a few ribs.

He said his truck was hard to get started Saturday, in the sub zero temps and blowing snow. Finally did get it started, but warning lights were lit up all over the dash. :n00b:

Bah, the truck was running, so he went ahead and drove the ten miles into into town to fetch some needed ingredients for a recipe he was trying to cook. :rolleyes:

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Some folks you just can't get through to. I have a fishing buddy, will soon turn 83. Fell off a roof earlier this year, breaking a few ribs.

He said his truck was hard to get started Saturday, in the sub zero temps and blowing snow. Finally did get it started, but warning lights were lit up all over the dash. :n00b:

Bah, the truck was running, so he went ahead and drove the ten miles into into town to fetch some needed ingredients for a recipe he was trying to cook. :rolleyes:
    Sounds familiar. Ol' Dad was that age when he crawled under the house to rescue a kitten. Knucklehead.

Top Bottom