• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I've had both and I'm now without either. You're not going to talk to me out of a new rimfire, so help me decide which one. If you could only choose one of these, which one and why?

Uses are small game and general plinking out to around 250.

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    Neither. My choice is .17WSM.

Sure, except ammo for them is almost $1/pop if you can find it, and the only rifle chambered in it that’s currently in production is Savage’s BMag which has a fairly poor track record. I was tempted by one, but decided I’d rather save and get a .17 Hornet or similar. It’s even better ballistically, ammo is available and can be reloaded, and you can still find some halfway decent rifles chambered in it.

My vote is HMR. Hard to go wrong with either, but the flatter trajectory of the HMR is a big plus IMO.

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Sure, except ammo for them is almost $1/pop if you can find it, and the only rifle chambered in it that’s currently in production is Savage’s BMag which has a fairly poor track record. I was tempted by one, but decided I’d rather save and get a .17 Hornet or similar. It’s even better ballistically, ammo is available and can be reloaded, and you can still find some halfway decent rifles chambered in it.

My vote is HMR. Hard to go wrong with either, but the flatter trajectory of the HMR is a big plus IMO.
    I have rounds for mine. And it is the Bmag. In a Boyd's AT-1 stock. Mine works just fine, and is slightly better than my buddy's Savage HMR. I like to think it is because of the heavier bullets.

OP, sorry for polluting your thread.

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    250m for a rimfire? I admire your skills, sir. Pretty sure a 17gn-20gn projo would blow into your neighbors yard at that distance.

Oh, horse feathers! Guys are taking the lowly .22LR out to nearly 500m. Once you have the proper data for it, a ballistic computer will give you data for holds just like it will for a centerfire projectile. And plenty of guys are making game-taking hits out near 400m with the smaller .17 centerfires. Know your wind holds (and more importantly, accurately call your wind), and hits at 250m shouldn’t be a problem at all.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    335   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Oh, horse feathers! Guys are taking the lowly .22LR out to nearly 500m. Once you have the proper data for it, a ballistic computer will give you data for holds just like it will for a centerfire projectile. And plenty of guys are making game-taking hits out near 400m with the smaller .17 centerfires. Know your wind holds (and more importantly, accurately call your wind), and hits at 250m shouldn’t be a problem at all.
    Guess I’m just a patsy, but my targets at 300m are 4-6”. I’m a 100m guy for 22 but your talent is talent for sure. I’ve got bigger calibers for that distance, and my 22s aren’t accurate like that.

Last edited:

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I've had both and I'm now without either. You're not going to talk to me out of a new rimfire, so help me decide which one. If you could only choose one of these, which one and why?

Uses are small game and general plinking out to around 250.
    Talk you out of a new rimfire? You'll be lucky if we don't talk you into a half dozen, lol!

If you're serious about 250, the .17 WSM would be a better choice but ammo is more expensive and it would be more than a little rough on most small game.

Between the .22 mag and .17 HMR, I'd tend to go with the .17 if long range shooting was more important and the .22 mag if not tearing up small game was more of a priority but both can be made to work for both tasks. IMO, it is bit easier to minimize the meat damage from a .17 than to get good long range performance from a .22 mag.

sell33

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2013
    Delaware County
    I really like both. I’m currently without a 22 mag, and badly want to get another. I think hmr is great for varmints only, but if you want to small game hunt I prefer 22 mag.

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    Guess I’m just a patsy, but my targets at 300m are 4-6”. I’m a 100m guy for 22 but your talent is talent for sure. I’ve got bigger calibers for that distance, and my 22s aren’t accurate like that.

Hahaha, you’re not a patsy! And apologies if I came across as calling you one! :)

For the record, *I* am not shooting a .22 at 500m lol. I just know folks who do. And you’re correct that the target sizes are larger st that distance! They often push themselves by trying for MOA or smaller, but as you suggest that little bullet is getting seriously pushed around out there. It’s a fun challenge, and even with premium .22 ammo it’s still significantly less expensive than shooting larger centerfire calibers.

For me, I’m pushing my luck at 200-250m with a .22, but I’m also quite new to pushing them that far and have a lot to learn if I want to go farther. But it CAN be done, which was my only point.

Throw in the little .17HMR, and those longer distances become more viable. The HMR pushes its little bullets so fast that the trajectory is quite flat out there, and while the wind does push those tiny 15-25gr bullets more than a heavier 30-45gr bullet like you’d find in a .22WMR, they a) have a higher ballistic coefficient so they maintain velocity and resist wind better and b) because of their velocity, the wind has less time to affect them.

Anyway, rimfire Extended Long Range (or “ELR”) is catching on, and it’s fun to play with. For the distances the OP stated, I suggested HMR because it’s the superior option at range.

But whoever it was that said “get both” is a man after my own heart lol.

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    Every store I go to has 22mag, even during pandemic when it seemed to always be on the shelf. I would buy box or two every time I saw it.

I have a ground hog issue and 22lr does not cut it but 22 mag is perfect.

It’s my choice.

This right here might be a key component to what someone goes with. While .17HMR is wildly popular, I’ve been to several stores locally (Walmart and Rural King) that don’t appear to stock it but they did have some .22WMR. Regular gun shops have it though, so depends on what’s available near you.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Every store I go to has 22mag, even during pandemic when it seemed to always be on the shelf. I would buy box or two every time I saw it.

I have a ground hog issue and 22lr does not cut it but 22 mag is perfect.

It’s my choice.
    That's what I used my 22 mag on when I had it. Set up in a bean field looking into the woods and wait. Great fun.

When I had the 17, I loved shooting starlings with it. Feather explosions just made for a great afternoon of giggles. A buddy had some pasture where he'd planted small fruit trees. We'd get together every couple of weeks after he mowed it and set up his picnic table like a bench and just laugh like we were little kids.

Hatchet601

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2022
    Evansville
    That's what I used my 22 mag on when I had it. Set up in a bean field looking into the woods and wait. Great fun.

When I had the 17, I loved shooting starlings with it. Feather explosions just made for a great afternoon of giggles. A buddy had some pasture where he'd planted small fruit trees. We'd get together every couple of weeks after he mowed it and set up his picnic table like a bench and just laugh like we were little kids.
    Saw on Ozark how Starlings are invasive- Bet that was fun to see them explode!

Top Bottom