• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PlaysInTheDirt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 14, 2016
    Southport
    Picked up a few .22s in '21 and two were rifles. Got a new 10/22 scoped combo to replace the one that my daughter claimed. Hopper helped with the sight in so we could smoke a little pot! The little 2" terracotta pots are a fun 100yd target! Second buy was a Henry Evil Roy and Roy is about the most fun I've had with a .22 in a long time. Ringing 4" steel off hand out to 50yds was no problem, past that was more of an issue with eyes and buckhorn sights.
    I can agree that 50yds with iron sights is about the limit of "fun" fun for me too.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    I'm gonna keep this thread alive even if it means boring everyone. Here is my last target for 2021.
    The black targets are used just for sighting and checking the wind, they were not included in my measurement of average group size.
    These were shot from a bench with front and rear bags, CZ 457 MTR, Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4-16x44 scope, SK Standard + ammo at 50 yds.
    I am sympathetic to GMCTTR's goal of having the 4th/5th shots stay with the herd.
    View attachment 173864
    View attachment 173866
    And another from 2 weeks ago.
    View attachment 173868
    Despite covid 2021 has been a pretty good year for me. Hoping for another good year in 2022 and wishing the same for INGO.
    You need to try some SK Rifle Match. The Standard + is the same ammo but is batches that didn't make the accuracy cut. Same thing I've noticed with S+, really tight group then boom, flyer(s).

Now that I think about, the SK Pistol Match is also really good, one or the other may work really well for you.

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    You need to try some SK Rifle Match. The Standard + is the same ammo but is batches that didn't make the accuracy cut. Same thing I've noticed with S+, really tight group then boom, flyer(s).

Now that I think about, the SK Pistol Match is also really good, one or the other may work really well for you.
    Thanks for the tip. I wasn't aware that Standard + was Rifle Match seconds. I will look for some Rifle Match and Pistol Match that is in stock.
    It seems that Standard + is more available than the others.
    But I'm not blaming the ammo for my flyers. Its more likely to be shooter's error.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Thanks for the tip. I wasn't aware that Standard + was Rifle Match seconds. I will look for some Rifle Match and Pistol Match that is in stock.
    It seems that Standard + is more available than the others.
    But I'm not blaming the ammo for my flyers. Its more likely to be shooter's error.
    Yep, sure are. Most will attempt to make every lot good, but some just don't cut the mustard so rather than scrap them, they just sell them as cheaper grades. One good thing is every once in a while they'll have demand for the cheaper stuff but have excess good stuff so to keep up the cash flow the good stuff gets sold as less good stuff. Eley, Lapua, RWS, and SK all do it. Take a look at their product specs and its fairly easy to determine what cheaper grades are actually down graded good stuff.
    Oh, the dreaded yips! Very guilty of that myself on occasion. Have a one hole group going, then sling one off into space..."Why oh why did I pull the trigger?!?" :ugh:

Last edited:

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Mission accomplished. Got the last 500 rounds of SK Pistol Match at Midsouth Shooter Supply.
    We'll see if winter gets here before the ammo does. I don't want to wait 3 months to try it.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    10/22, BX trigger, indoors at 17 yards, forearm of gun rested on a bag, Swampfox Liberator green dot, shooting Federal range pack 40 grain, 1,200 fps. 10 rounds , the bull is 1 1/2 inches on this target.

IMG_20220127_203828_1.jpg

Last ten shots of the session. This is my Steel Challenge Rimfire optics rifle.
    10-22 RD.jpg

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Got a scope on the BMR and few pics today. Found out the factory 30 MOA rail, scope, and rings combo I had wouldn't work. Did some research on Rimfire Central and found that Weaver #12 and #15 were both really close. Just so happened I had a Ruger American Rimfire with #12 bases in the safe I haven't shot much lately so problem solved. Since I don't shoot much past 100 yards with rimfires anyway losing the rail wasn't a big deal.
    Any way, scope is a Hawke Vantage 4-16x44 SF, with medium rings it is within 1/8" of the barrel so almost a perfect combination. Scope isn't a permanent resident, I'll get an idea of how the rifle shoots and how it fits into my needs then go from there. Really looking forward to getting a chance to shoot this, along with my 16"T1x that has seen maybe 100 rounds. Just seems like when the weather is good there is no time, when the weather is bad I'll have the time but not the inclination. :lmfao:Now some pics.
    ANiVOKR.jpg

PKSKqk8.jpg

Small's

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    south of Indy
    Tikka t1x 16" just came in and i had to shoot it even though it was 19 degrees out today. First thing i did was drop the trigger to around 2.25lbs. I have a old simmons 4x shotgun scope thats at least 25 years old and been on half a dozen different rifles. It was laying around and a cheap set of $9 weaver 22/airgun rings that were in a box from years ago and slapped it together. Put a cheap bipod off of another rifle on in. Spent about 5 rounds getting the zero close then moved out and shot a 10 shot groups with federal automatch and federal 36gr hp 550 bulk pack "the stuff you used to get at walmart". So far im not disappointed with the rifle. The 4x scope basically cover almost all of the 1" dots i was shooting. Both groups were under 1" at 50 yards and 7 out of 10 rounds were within 1/2". To me thats pretty darn good with cheap bulk ammo. 25 yard groups where about 3/8" with automatch and 1/2" with 550 bulk. 4 of the 5 of those where within 1/4". 100 yard groups were just inside 2 inches but i was really limited with the 4x at that distance. It definitely fits in with my cz rifles for sure. Now i need to figure out what scope i want. Leaning towards a 2-7 leupold rimfire and hopefully a dead air mask can.
    339559bfd65b3d662ccdd9d840699160.jpg

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Tikka t1x 16" just came in and i had to shoot it even though it was 19 degrees out today. First thing i did was drop the trigger to around 2.25lbs. I have a old simmons 4x shotgun scope thats at least 25 years old and been on half a dozen different rifles. It was laying around and a cheap set of $9 weaver 22/airgun rings that were in a box from years ago and slapped it together. Put a cheap bipod off of another rifle on in. Spent about 5 rounds getting the zero close then moved out and shot a 10 shot groups with federal automatch and federal 36gr hp 550 bulk pack "the stuff you used to get at walmart". So far im not disappointed with the rifle. The 4x scope basically cover almost all of the 1" dots i was shooting. Both groups were under 1" at 50 yards and 7 out of 10 rounds were within 1/2". To me thats pretty darn good with cheap bulk ammo. 25 yard groups where about 3/8" with automatch and 1/2" with 550 bulk. 4 of the 5 of those where within 1/4". 100 yard groups were just inside 2 inches but i was really limited with the 4x at that distance. It definitely fits in with my cz rifles for sure. Now i need to figure out what scope i want. Leaning towards a 2-7 leupold rimfire and hopefully a dead air mask can.
    339559bfd65b3d662ccdd9d840699160.jpg

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk
    I thought those pics looked familiar!;) Get you some decent ammo and you'll cut those groups in half!
    If you're considering a can, take a look at some of the Form 1 cans, approval measured in weeks not months and dang sight cheaper.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Sighted in the Bergara today. Took 6 shots, 3 for adjustments then the last 3 for confirmation. Those made a nice little cluster a bit smaller than a quarter. Not bad for 50 yards since I just used my hand on top the car roof for a rest. Shot up the rest of the box plinking steel. At 50 couldn't miss, missed a couple at 75 and a few more than that at 100. None of the misses could be attributed to the rifle. Had a couple of rounds with a definite crack and couple sounded weak. About what I expect out of CCI SV.
    If time allows tomorrow may try to throw it on some bags and see what happens if I get serious with it.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Had just enough time this afternoon to get a couple of groups with the Bergara. Conditions weren't the greatest, the way my range sits I had the sun right in my eyes and the target was in deep shade. Rather than waste a bunch of ammo fighting the sun just shot a few groups to get an idea on what things look like.
    Fired 3 5 shot groups at 50 yards with SK Standard+. Group sizes in order shot: .672, .489, .381 for an average of .514. First group would have been much better but the second shot was well outside the other 4. Not sure if it can be attributed to anything in particular, but may very well have just been one of those things that happen. Last group I don't doubt there was some luck involved there. :D
    Also as you can see the groups got smaller as I went on. Two factors I can see for this. First, the barrel was getting seasoned for that ammo, second I was getting more settled with the trigger.
    So, anyway, averaged a bit over 1 MOA with a basically brand new barrel with just decent ammo. Looks very promising at this point!

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    10/22, BX trigger, indoors at 17 yards, forearm of gun rested on a bag, Swampfox Liberator green dot, shooting Federal range pack 40 grain, 1,200 fps. 10 rounds , the bull is 1 1/2 inches on this target.

View attachment 178254

Last ten shots of the session. This is my Steel Challenge Rimfire optics rifle.
    View attachment 178259
    Simple and to the point...I like that set up. Looks to be shooting straight.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    picked up a little marlin papoose I don't expect it to be accurate but should be fun
    Marlins are extremely accurate. The papoose is no exception as long as you tighten down the barrel nut good and tight. Put a nice red dot on this rifle and you'll have a blast with it ... and in a survival situation, put plenty of meat on the table.

You'll also find all sorts of aftermarket tune up parts for it since the papoose is nothing more than a take down version of the model 795, and the 795 is nothing more than a detachable magazine version of the model 60.

Mcarbo, EGW, DIP Inc, Midwest Gun Works are where you can start looking ... there's more.

Enjoy that papoose ... I'm a bit jelly ...

Top Bottom