• ...and so much more!
  • T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    262   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I fondled a B22 Precision at a LGS recently. Really like the chassis setup. Didn't know much about the gun. Researched later at home and read way too many bad reviews on them. More than most guns I've researched. The bolt scraping the bullets was one issue. The mags not seating correctly. Extraction issues.

4x4strongman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 16, 2020
    Indianapolis
    I love my 22 on the range, the only thing I don't enjoy is having to load these CMMG magazines that start to hurt your fingers. I am getting a mcfadden speed loader I think, seems like a must have

Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    I'll have to get some cci sv to try, but given the weather it may be awhile before I do any shooting! I've heard mixed reports about weighing 22 ammo, IIRC case thickness had more impact on accuracy; has anyone here gotten proven results?

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    I'll have to get some cci sv to try, but given the weather it may be awhile before I do any shooting! I've heard mixed reports about weighing 22 ammo, IIRC case thickness had more impact on accuracy; has anyone here gotten proven results?

Too many variables for weighing to help and I've heard mixed results about rim thickness. Best bet is to use a better grade of ammo unless you just want to kill some time. I've been shooting SK Standard+ and Eley Action mostly of late. Much more accurate than anything from CCI, and only a few $ more a brick. Of course, YMMV.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    262   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Picked up a CZ 457 Pro Varmint the other day. I have the trigger down to 1lb 2oz using the factory spring. Scope is a Hawke Vantage 3-9x40 AO (it's temporary). Ran it today against my beloved Tippmann Rifle. Had a couple of good groups, but not impressed with the average group sizes. I plan on getting a better scope for the CZ as my eyes were just not agreeing with the Hawke today, but did fine with the Vortex PST on the Tippmann. I've had Hawkes before and while they're good for the money, my eyes just do so much better with a higher quality (and dollar) scope.

DE9kSGg.jpg

Today's results were at 50 yards, on a bench using bags front & rear:

OhNr5Yf.jpg

Comparison of previous results on the Tippmann:

WlD1GPm.jpg

Obligatory target pictures (doddg, you can't be the only one around here ;))

DV07Hrw.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    You're lucky. I took my B22 Precision out to the range yesterday and had nothing but problems with the CCI standard,
    all failure to extract.
    The extractor just hops over the rim of the cases on mine but the case could be extracted 98 percent of the time with a fingernail.
    With some research it seems quite a few people have extraction problems with the CCI standard in their savage 22's with this system of extraction.
    I'm going to call Savage and see if they'll send me a new extractor and spring and try and fix it because I'm sitting on 4k rounds of the stuff and it shoots great in all my bolt guns this one included.
    Hopefully Savage takes care of me because this rifle has a fantastic trigger and I quite like the stock on it.

A Savage FV-SR bull barrel that I have one day started having extraction issues out of the blue.
    New extractor helped for 2 boxes of ammo, but started having issues again & it was sent back to Savage.
    Waiting.
    It was the best shooting of the bolt actions I've had so far.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Whenever we start to have extraction issues with a .22 LR firearm at a Revere's Riders event, I pull out my homemade chamber brush and dry scrub the chamber. 9 times out of 10, this does the trick. The 1 time it doesn't fix the extraction issue is usually due to an absolutely filthy receiver. After a good field cleaning, the firearm is put back on the line to finish the event.

The chamber brush is nothing more than a bronze cleaning brush that's been bent and had a duct tape handle installed.

PT9FyDe.jpg

I have yet to see a broken or worn extractor be the cause of the problem. Not saying that doesn't happen, just haven't seen it in over 6 years of instructing a course of fire that will truly test your firearm.

If you haven't cleaned the chamber in your firearm before replacing the extractor or sending your firearm back to the manufacturer for repairs, you may be wasting your time and money.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Whenever we start to have extraction issues with a .22 LR firearm at a Revere's Riders event, I pull out my homemade chamber brush and dry scrub the chamber. 9 times out of 10, this does the trick. The 1 time it doesn't fix the extraction issue is usually due to an absolutely filthy receiver. After a good field cleaning, the firearm is put back on the line to finish the event.

The chamber brush is nothing more than a bronze cleaning brush that's been bent and had a duct tape handle installed.

PT9FyDe.jpg

I have yet to see a broken or worn extractor be the cause of the problem. Not saying that doesn't happen, just haven't seen it in over 6 years of instructing a course of fire that will truly test your firearm.

If you haven't cleaned the chamber in your firearm before replacing the extractor or sending your firearm back to the manufacturer for repairs, you may be wasting your time and money.
    Handy tip, thanks

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis

Good to know & thanks for the tip! :thumbsup:
    I did scrub the outside of the chamber & "dug" out with a plastic tip the indentions on each side of the chamber where the extractors fit beside (or into) to do their work.
    Sorry about not knowing proper terminology.

Since the Savage FV-SR was fairly new I didn't think to scrub the inside of the chamber.
    An INGO member, Zackcz, was checking it out for me, since I am not experienced with any basic gunsmithing, probably did that when he put the new extractor (& another part) in that Savage sent before it was sent back since it didn't solve the issue but it started up again in 70 rounds & again with CCI SV & again in 90 rounds with Aguila SE.

I'll put a chamber brush into my bag of tools for the future to try that 1st.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I had extraction issues on a SW 41 that I'd replaced all the internals (including extractor).
    I was at the range talking with an 88 yr. old INGO member who knew everything about the Smith 41 b/c he used to shoot competition with it back when he had his sight.
    He told me to use a Volquartsen extractor instead of a SW if I ever needed another.

He also pulled some tool out from his bag (don't remember what it was called) and did something to the chamber with it.
    He wouldn't let me call it "reaming out" the chamber, but apparently the tool "shaped up" the edge of the chamber that was "crimped" a hair with age/use & putting just enough pressure on the shell so as for it to "drag" in the chamber, not allowing the extractor to do it's job.
    Afterwards, instead of it being difficult to pull a round out, it would just slide right out w/o effort.

I thought I was going to have to buy a new barrel or get it lined like I've heard about, but I've not had any issue since he applied that tool to the chamber.
    And yes, when we left the range it was lunch time & lunch was on me! :)
    I was so happy & grateful that an INGO member happened to be there & was knowledgeable in all-things Smith 41. :ingo:

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    I had extraction issues on a SW 41 that I'd replaced all the internals (including extractor).
    I was at the range talking with an 88 yr. old INGO member who knew everything about the Smith 41 b/c he used to shoot competition with it back when he had his sight.
    He told me to use a Volquartsen extractor instead of a SW if I ever needed another.

He also pulled some tool out from his bag (don't remember what it was called) and did something to the chamber with it.
    He wouldn't let me call it "reaming out" the chamber, but apparently the tool "shaped up" the edge of the chamber that was "crimped" a hair with age/use & putting just enough pressure on the shell so as for it to "drag" in the chamber, not allowing the extractor to do it's job.
    Afterwards, instead of it being difficult to pull a round out, it would just slide right out w/o effort.

I thought I was going to have to buy a new barrel or get it lined like I've heard about, but I've not had any issue since he applied that tool to the chamber.
    And yes, when we left the range it was lunch time & lunch was on me! :)
    I was so happy & grateful that an INGO member happened to be there & was knowledgeable in all-things Smith 41. :ingo:

The tool is known as a chamber ironing or chamber swage tool. These work also, especially if your firing pin it a touch too long and you dry fire your rimfire firearms. I have one of these in my range bag also. It's very, very, very rare that this tool is needed, but as you learned, it may be the solution to a super tight chamber or one that has a slight burr on the edge.

FWIW, I use the chamber iron on all rimfire firearms that I acquire in used condition as part of my initial cleaning before firing ... you just never know for sure who did what to a used firearm.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    The tool is known as a chamber ironing or chamber swage tool. These work also, especially if your firing pin it a touch too long and you dry fire your rimfire firearms. I have one of these in my range bag also. It's very, very, very rare that this tool is needed, but as you learned, it may be the solution to a super tight chamber or one that has a slight burr on the edge.

FWIW, I use the chamber iron on all rimfire firearms that I acquire in used condition as part of my initial cleaning before firing ... you just never know for sure who did what to a used firearm.

Thanks so much for your follow up! :thumbsup:
    I really appreciate you taking the time.

Where can I buy that tool?
    I agree with you about using it on any gun that you pick up.
    I used to pick up more guns during a month's time than I do now, having slowed down a bit in retirement, but I'd like to have it on hand since I shoot mostly .22LR.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    I have the T. W. Menck tool that I picked up from Brownells a long time ago. It doesn't look like they still carry it.

The tools that gmcttr linked do the same job.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I had a friend who let me borrow his inexpensive Rossi semi-automatic rifle.
    He has an old, but decent scope on it.
    I started in the middle (#10) dialing in the scope, with 3 groups of 5 rounds, labeled #1, #2, #3.
    I numbered the rest of the groups #4 - #10.
    This was quite fun at 25 yds, after trying to shoot 4" squares at 100 yds, then trying 2" circles at 50 yds in the wind, not so successfully.
    I'm about ready to dial back on the outdoor range to the 25 yd distance since I get mad every time shooting so inconsistently at 50 yds.
    Using a front rest but not a stock rest.
    OygKiIw.jpg

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    im a little sad there isn’t a picture of the beautiful rifle to go along with the target

I started in the middle (#10) dialing in the scope, with 3 groups of 5 rounds, labeled #1, #2, #3.
    This was quite fun at 25 yds, after trying to shoot 4" squares at 100 yds, then trying 2" circles at 50 yds in the wind, not so successfully.
    I'm about ready to dial back on the outdoor range to the 25 yd distance since I get mad every time shooting so inconsistently at 50 yds.
    OygKiIw.jpg

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    OygKiIw.jpg

A really nice set of consistently tight groups ! :yesway:

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    the hydro dip has made it way more accurate

14F5A24E-E8F6-4E50-A011-257790F71246.jpeg

OygKiIw.jpg

Top Bottom