• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    The red dot isn’t pricey. Also it shot 100 percent wirh the fixed sights. No adjustments needed. Adjustments just make you do the equivalent of a dog chasing his tail.
    I learned to do a little Kentucky windage when shooting, but since it did the 100% on my 1.75" circles, it meets my standards for a keeper, unlike the Victory & Mark 4 and others.
    I have 2 other guns that are so good with optics & at 30' (SW 41 & KelTec CP33), that I need to get out my rifle 1" targets next time to see which is the better.
    With a red dot, this BB Vision could join that group.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    255 rds of .22LR fun today with 2 Buckmarks & the TX Competition.
    I put an aluminum rail on the Taurus TX Competition for a red dot since the composite rail I tried warped with just a few rounds of use therefore, was crap.

Used CCI Mini-Mags, Federal AutoMatch & CCI Blazer with all 3 of the pistols.

21' with the Buckmarks since no optic & 30" with the TX Comp. with a Bushnell red dots.
    The orange oblong circles are 1.75" x 2.75".
    I was disappointed that I couldn't get 100% of the rounds in the orange with all 3 pistols. :dunno:

I was surprised that both Buckmarks scored the same (85%) since the Vision is a more expensive pistol aimed at the "Target" market.
    So far, not impressed with the Vision over the "Silver" Buckmark.
    Shot the TX at 30' since it had an optic.
    Range 1.05.2023 x3 pistols on same target.jpg

Tried 3 ammo brands with the TX Competition.
    Federal Automatch did the best (95%).
    Surprised the CCI Blazer didn't do better than 85%.
    "Keeper" guns should be able to do 100%, so I'm not impressed.
    I'll try Aguila SE & even CCI Standard Velocity next time.
    Anything that can't do 100% on a row doesn't measure up & could be sold eventually when "trimming."
    Sometimes there is something unique about a gun & I'll lower my standards, haha!
    Range 1.05.2023 x3 ammo brands at 21ft.jpg

Also using 3 different ammo brands with the Browning Buckmark Vision.
    Looking for 100%.
    I bought it to see if it could outshoot the "Sliver" Buckmark.
    One of the two or both will be sold when the circles decide, haha!
    The Federal Automatch did the best again.
    Will try CCI Standard Velocity & Aguila next time.
    Range 1.05.2023 x3 brands ammo at 21ft.jpg

Again, using 3 different ammo brands with the Browning Buckmark "Silver."
    Same results as with the others.
    Range 01.05.2023 x3 brands ammo at 21ft.jpg

Used this target for adjusting the Bushnell red dot on the new aluminum rail.
    I started on the bottom at 21' & worked my way up on the numbers & the 3/4" red circles.
    The head & the 2 symbols to the left of the head were at 30'.
    Used CCI Mini-Mags.
    Range 1.05.2023 adjusting red dot on new aluminum rail at 21ft & 30ft.jpg

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    So happy to get out of the house & go to the range today since yesterday I had an arthritis attack in the lower back that took me places I'd never been before. :fogey:
    A couple of meds & a day later, I was mobile again, moving gingerly, but I could move! :rockwoot:

Took the same 3 pistols to the range as last week.
    I wanted to try out CCI SV to see if I could get tighter groups than last week's 3 brands of ammo.
    I think Federal AutoMatch edged out CCI SV & I was shocked. :dunno:

Taurus TX 5" Competition., at 30' w/red dot.
    I was expecting 100%, at least 95%, very disappointed with 90%.
    It is not keeping up with my other pistols with an optic.
    At 21' w/o an optic, does fine, if memory serves, but I had to try an optic. :scratch:
    Range 1.11.2023 CCI SV ammo.jpg

Same pic as the above, showing whole page with 3 other brands ammo.
    Range 1.11.2023 x4 ammo brands.jpg

Brwng Bckmrk Vision did ok w/95%, but looking for 100%.
    21' w/iron sights, not adjustable, except windage with tool.

Some pic as above with the Vision, showing whole sheet w/3 other brands ammo.
    Range 1.11.2023 x4 ammo brands.jpg

Brwng Bckmrk "Silver" with a lousy 70% at 21'.
    Don't know what happened on the 1st, 3rd & 4th circle.
    I always blame ammo, haha!

Same pic as above with "Silver," showing 3 other brands of ammo.
    Range 1.11.2023 x4 brands ammo.jpg

All 3 pistols, with Vision on top & "Silver" on bottom with 10 rds. each circle.
    Middle was TX Competition with 20 rds.
    Red/orange oblong circles were 1.75" x 2.75".
    Still trying to tweak adjustment on the TX red dot, trying to bring it back to the left, but clicked too much. :wallbash:
    Close call between best accuracy between the 2 Brwng Buckmarks.
    Probably keep the Vision for my non-optic Browning, but the "Silver" hangs with it.
    If I bought a picatinny rail for the Vision & put a sight on, perhaps tighten up groups.
    Although, I'd hoped that for the TX Comp, but not so much.
    Range 1.11.2023 x3 pistols & CCI SV ammo.jpg :scratch:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    doddg, is SV your most accurate round?

I should try a box of those. I have always just used Mini-Mags. Well in the old days I shot Green Tag but they are too pricey now and I'm not sure if they are still the gold standard like they used to be.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    doddg, is SV your most accurate round?

I should try a box of those. I have always just used Mini-Mags. Well in the old days I shot Green Tag but they are too pricey now and I'm not sure if they are still the gold standard like they used to be.
    I thought CCI SV was, but occasionally something will beat it.
    With rifles, it is my best round, not that it sometimes doesn't get outdone by something.
    Tristan/Aeroflyer told me years ago that he only bought CCI SV, so that really influenced me.

Mini-Mags have never been what I considered an "accuracy" round.
    CCI Blazer have always been good to me, but not lately with the guns I've been using.
    Armscor is another good round for me & Aguila Super Extra, as well.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I thought CCI SV was, but occasionally something will beat it.
    With rifles, it is my best round, not that it sometimes doesn't get outdone by something.
    Tristan/Aeroflyer told me years ago that he only bought CCI SV, so that really influenced me.

Mini-Mags have never been what I considered an "accuracy" round.
    CCI Blazer have always been good to me, but not lately with the guns I've been using.
    Armscor is another good round for me & Aguila Super Extra, as well.
    The Aguila SE works well for me also.

I shot a Steel Challenge match once and it seemed like most of the folks were using Mini-Mags and I used them because they fed reliably in all my .22's.

Probably why I have not tried the SV yet.

Years ago I bought a myriad of brands to find the one that would work best in each of my .22's but then I got lazy,lol.

I don't shoot where a one hole group is needed but I may run the test again with my 10-22 now that I have optimized it. Then I will have at least one 22 set up if I want to shoot 1 hole groups!

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    I wanted to try out CCI SV to see if I could get tighter groups than last week's 3 brands of ammo.
    I think Federal AutoMatch edged out CCI SV & I was shocked. :dunno:

I was lucky to find a great lot of Auto Match that shot exceptionally well in my 4" Ruger original series 22/45. For 20 shots at 50 yards still the best target with any any handgun/ammo combination. The next box of Auto Match after that shot nothing like the first box I had.

But over the years CCI Std. Vel. has been the best non match ammo that has turned in great accuracy results in many guns. My pair of 617s , Ruger MKII 5.5" , Smith Model 41 and Victory to name a few. My Browning SA-22 rifle loves the CCI Std. Vel. and Green Mountain barrel 10/22.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Picked up a tiny Ruger LCP 2 for a hoot yesterday since it was from someone I've bought/sold with a few times, swapping guns along between other friends.

I've shot 3 other LCPs before & never bothered to buy one.
    But, it came with the 2nd mag & had a trigger job & holster to enhance the deal & the stainless steel Cerakote made it more appealing, haha!

I already have the Beretta Bobcat & Bersa Thunder for my small .22LR fun, but I thought I'd put this in the mix.
    I used fluorescent gun paint on sights so I could see, haha! :fogey:
    Putting 3 coats white with 4 coats red or green overtop. (see below)
    Ironically, the 7 coats on the front sight literally fell off in one piece in it carrying bag, haha! :scratch:
    Guess I should clean the sights with alcohol next time. :dunno:
    Pics showing front sight red were taken at home.
    Lesson learned, haha!

Only 15' with CCI Mini-Mags.
    Also used some CCI Blazer & had some Federal AutoMatch to test out, but got tired shooting it, haha!
    Range 1st rounds 15ft CCI MM.jpg pic of Ruger LCP 2.jpg pic of painted sights 1 from back.jpg pic of painted sights 2 top.jpg pic of painted sights 3 through sights.jpg

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Pretty good shooting for a gun with such minimal sights. I don't shoot my LCP II 22lr much as its so hard to see the front sight. I wish they made it with the sights like the LCP Max. I can see the sights much better on my Max.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Going out the door this am to shoot air guns but as I was stepping into the garage, Xmas texted.
    Zachcz had 3 guns he wanted me to take to the range:
    - a new Taurus TX Compact that he hadn't even shot yet
    - Stainless steel CZ 75B, 15 rd, with a new sight
    - Ruger LCP 2 which he'd not shot yet and/or had put on new sight, don't remember

The new Taurus TX Compact I was curious about, having had the TX 4," which was a segue for the
    TX 5" Competition.
    The CZ 75B is gorgeous & a great shooter. :wow:
    I offered to trade my SS Beretta 92 in a heartbeat for it, but since his moniker is Zachcz, you can imagine how far I got with that, haha! :laugh:
    The Ruger LCP 2 I compared to one I picked up earlier in the week for a hoot. :dunno:
    I have no intention in keeping it, but comparing same guns is always hobby fun.

CZ 75B
    pic CZ 75B right side.jpg pic CZ 75B left side with slide back.jpg

21' using CCI Blazer 115 grain FMJ
    I couldn't believe on the middle 3rd target I did worse than the first two. :wallbash:
    What happened to the idea of improving each target?
    Range 1.18.2023 x3 targets.jpg

Taurus TX Compact: 13 round, 3.5" barrel
    pic of TX Compact left side.jpg pic of TX Compact right side wslide back.jpg

CCI Mini-Mags did much better than the Federal AutoMatch.
    Very surprising, but there it is. :coffee:
    POI tendency to shoot low & to the right.
    Once again my 3rd middle target worse than the first two with the same ammo.
    Range 1.18.2023 on only 5 targets.jpg

Same target as above but I put ten 3/4" red dots/circles on it b/c I wanted to learn how to correct or the POI being low & right.
    Didn't do so great on the last row, maybe b/c of the angle???
    I did get 10 rounds on the red dots but I wanted to get more out of the 100 rounds just on the red circles!
    Range 1.18.2023 on 5 targets & 10 red circles.jpg

Only fun on this one was that my LCP 2 shot 90% & Zach's shot 80%, haha!
    Only at 15' on these diminutive guns.
    Range 1.18.2023 Ruger LCP 2 on targets.jpg

Last edited:

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    Going out the door this am to shoot air guns but as I was stepping into the garage, Xmas texted.
    Zachcz had 3 guns he wanted me to take to the range:
    - a new Taurus TX Compact that he hadn't even shot yet
    - Stainless steel CZ 75B, 15 rd, with a new sight
    - Ruger LCP 2 which he'd not shot yet and/or had put on new sight, don't remember

The new Taurus TX Compact I was curious about, having had the TX 4," which was a segue for the
    TX 5" Competition.
    The CZ 75B is gorgeous & a great shooter. :wow:
    I offered to trade my SS Beretta 92 in a heartbeat for it, but since his moniker is Zachcz, you can imagine how far I got with that, haha! :laugh:
    The Ruger LCP 2 I compared to one I picked up earlier in the week for a hoot. :dunno:
    I have no intention in keeping it, but comparing same guns is always hobby fun.

CZ 75B
    View attachment 248974 View attachment 248975

21' using CCI Blazer 115 grain FMJ
    I couldn't believe on the middle 3rd target I did worse than the first two. :wallbash:
    What happened to the idea of improving each target?
    View attachment 248976

Taurus TX Compact: 13 round, 3.5" barrel
    View attachment 248977 View attachment 248978

CCI Mini-Mags did much better than the Federal AutoMatch.
    Very surprising, but there it is. :coffee:
    POI tendency to shoot low & to the right.
    Once again my 3rd middle target worse than the first two with the same ammo.
    View attachment 248979

Same target as above but I put ten 3/4" red dots/circles on it b/c I wanted to learn how to correct or the POI being low & right.
    Didn't do so great on the last row, maybe b/c of the angle???
    I did get 10 rounds on the red dots but I wanted to get more out of the 100 rounds just on the red circles!
    View attachment 248980

Only fun on this one was that my LCP 2 shot 90% & Zach's shot 80%, haha!
    Only at 15' on these diminutive guns.
    View attachment 248981
    Seems to shoot well. Hoping it will tighten groups up when I get a different front sight.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Seems to shoot well. Hoping it will tighten groups up when I get a different front sight.
    That reminds me I need to repaint the 7 layers on my LCP 2 so I can see the front sight, haha!
    Mine only shot a hair better than yours, but with your eyes & hands, you always shoot better than me even not using a rest, haha! :thumbsup:
    Can't believe they fell off since I put thin coats on from the very 1st layer so that wouldn't happen. :dunno:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    An INGO friend let me shoot their Ruger Mark 4 with Volquartsen parts & red dot.
    He could do cloverleafs with it, me, not so much, haha!
    He also had a Sig 322 with a laser.
    Not so impressed with the 322 & probably won't bother to get one since I have the TX Competition 5" & Keltec CP33 I like better.

21' using 1.75" circles.
    Just grabbed them & shot quickly w/o any practice rounds.
    Range 1.20.2023 Ruger Mark 4 wVolquartsen parts & Sig 322.jpg

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    An INGO friend let me shoot their Ruger Mark 4 with Volquartsen parts & red dot.
    Not so impressed with the 322 & probably won't bother to get one since I have the TX Competition 5" & Keltec CP33 I like better.

21' using 1.75" circles.
    View attachment 249408
    You have the far superior guns. The 322 while not necessarily bad doesn’t compare to the Taurus. If I remember correctly you did shoot the 322 i had pretty well.

Ruger mark series pistols are good solid guns. To me the g19 of the 22 world.

At least ammo has come down again so you can shoot 22 and not have to just shoot those silly air guns!

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington

21' using 1.75" circles.
    Shouldn't "laser" be in parentheses?

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    A fun day shooting 4 of Zachcz's guns, two of which were .22LR.
    A GSG 1911, & I've had half-a-dozen of the 1911 .22LR clones & enjoyed them.
    Shot his KelTec P17 again, but I think this was a different one than I shot of his before.
    It always surprises me how shootable the KelTec is.

Using 5.75" circles with the GSG 1911 on the top row & middle.
    They are not known for their accuracy, therefor the 5.75" circles, but still fun to shoot.
    I discovered on some practice rounds that it shot a little high & a little right.
    On top left circle, POA was right in the middle of circle with half of the rounds going higher.
    On top right, POA was a tad lower, trying to bring the POI down a bit, but it went a little right.
    On middle circle, I tried POA again a little low & this time a little to the left.
    Range 01.27.2023 GSG 1st rds. & 1911 & Keltec P17.jpg
    I shot the KelTec P17 on the bottom row & I could have used the 3.75" circles but I didn't have any with me.

Practice rounds with the GSG 1911.
    A few a little high.
    7/10 had a decent group.
    Range 01.27.2023 GSG practice rounds 1.jpg

A little to the right this time.
    But, a decent group, except for the flyer.
    Range 01.27.2023 GSG practice rounds 2.jpg

Last edited:

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    A fun day shooting 4 of Zachcz's guns, two of which were .22LR.
    A GSG 1911, & I've had half-a-dozen of the 1911 .22LR clones & enjoyed them.
    Shot his KelTec P17 again, but I think this was a different one than I shot of his before.
    It always surprises me how shootable the KelTec is.

Using 5.75" circles with the GSG 1911 on the top row & middle.
    They are not known for their accuracy, therefor the 5.75" circles, but still fun to shoot.
    I discovered on some practice rounds that it shot a little high & a little right.
    On top left circle, POA was right in the middle of circle with half of the rounds going higher.
    On top right, POA was a tad lower, trying to bring the POI down a bit, but it went a little right.
    On middle circle, I tried POA again a little low & this time a little to the left.
    View attachment 251114
    I shot the KelTec P17 on the bottom row & I could have used the 3.75" circles but I didn't have any with me.

Practice rounds with the GSG 1911.
    A few a little high.
    7/10 had a decent group.
    View attachment 251129

A little to the right this time.
    But, a decent group, except for the flyer.
    View attachment 251130
    This is different p17 than you shot last time. Seems to be about same results. For such an inexpensive gun it holds its own.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    This is different p17 than you shot last time. Seems to be about same results. For such an inexpensive gun it holds its own.
    The KelTec P17 is a surprise since it seems it gets no "currency" in the gun world.
    The KelTec CP33 that I bought from you has turned out to be one of my favorite guns.
    It is as accurate as my other "keeper" guns using the 1.75" circles that I like (I can see red, haha!).

It must have taken 2 yrs with you "goading" me & making fun of my other overpriced guns to get me to try a KelTec, hahaha!
    With the Taurus TX, it was also a long time since I had an attitude about Taurus semi-autos due to a bad experience.
    Now I've had two TXs & currently have their TX 5" Competition model, haha!

I'm thick-headed, but have the capacity to learn. Slowly, haha!
    CM (Tim) used to really tag me for stupid mistakes when posting: I had a slow learning curve with the computer, haha!
    I had even been over to his house & bought a CZ Rami from him once!
    CM is definitely missed & leaves quite a gap here! :ingo:

Top Bottom