• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    If I recall correctly, premium 22LR target ammo was not near as price affected in the Obama ammo shortage? I wonder if 22 ammo 10 cents a round and higher will be that effected this time?

$.12 a round is some where around my breakpoint. For me anyway, I couldn't justify more than that, even if it would buy me a match win.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    If I recall correctly, premium 22LR target ammo was not near as price affected in the Obama ammo shortage? I wonder if 22 ammo 10 cents a round and higher will be that effected this time?

$.12 a round is some where around my breakpoint. For me anyway, I couldn't justify more than that, even if it would buy me a match win.
    It's all been affected this time, just the higher grades aren't quite as bad as the lower grades. Just checked Ammoseek, the cheapest available on there is right at $.15/rd for Federal bulk pack. The cheapest "good" stuff is Wolf Match Extra at $.24/rd, lots of lower Lapua at $.30/rd.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    The Savage FV-SR with a stock upgrade is one of my favorite plinkers, and is far more accurate than I. The original plastic stock definitely made it feel like a cheap BB gun.

What did you not like about the magazines? I’ve never had issues with extraction with mine.

BBEF55A3-A3A5-4763-9B82-341F9C5D8B92.jpeg

Last edited:

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    262   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    The Savage FV-SR with a stock upgrade is one of my favorite plinkers, and is far more accurate than I. The original plastic stock definitely made it feel like a cheap BB gun.

What did you not like about the magazines? I’ve never had issues with extraction with mine.

View attachment 119642
    Your setup is what I should have done with mine. I don't remember which ammo I had extraction issues with and if I had the gun still I would have sorted out the issue by now. I suppose "hated" was a bit strong of a description of the mags, I really didn't care for the shape/design/edges of the mag itself. Hard to describe, I just remember thinking to myself "I don't like this magazine design".

I did consider getting another one, I think they're still under $300?

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus

Small's

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    south of Indy
    3 cz's here. One 452 trainer for me and two 452 scouts for the boys. Best shooting 22lr I've ever had. I've never ran really good ammo through them but they really like the cheap federal bulk pack from Walmart. I threw a small 4x scope on one of the boys scouts which is a 16" barrel 12" lop kids rifle and it put down a 10 shot 3/4" group @ 50yards. Now I'm wishing I had the smaller rifle.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    262   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I finally got the 457 to the range today, after doing the recent pillar bedding job. The pillars definitely made an improvement, sub moa groups and a lower average group size. Everything I've done on the 457 so far has made improvements and shrunk the group sizes.

Original setup:
    Hawke Vantage 3-9x40 in Warne rimfire rings
    Average 5-shot group size
    0.819 CCI SV
    0.855 Aguila SV

Before pillars:
    Area 419 rail, Athlon Helos BTR 6-24x50 in Warne rings
    0.663 CCI SV
    0.778 Aguila SV

HJt2KOx.jpg

After pillars
    20in/lbs on action screws:
    0.602 CCI SV
    0.677 Aguila SV

NbEwwEw.jpg

I then played around with torque on the action screws. I tested them at 25 in/lbs and 30 in/lbs on the target below. The results were mixed. CCI shot a little worse and Aguila shot a little better at 25, both shot even worse at 30. I think I'll be going back to 20 and leaving it there.

*When going from 20 to 25 in/lbs, it seemed like the screws rotated more than when going from 25 to 30. My first group at 25 was the worst of the day and the first shot of that group went pretty far to the left of the other 4 shots. I "think" everything settled in a bit after that first shot. I did not experience that issue on the first group at 30 in/lbs. Just a random observation.

RxMGAoj.jpg

I had a close friend donate some different ammo for additional testing. These were shot at 30 in/lbs, wish I would have backed the torque off, oh well I guess. The RWS laid down a killer group of 0.179", so naturally I got a bit excited and followed it up with a 0.866" group. Bummer. :(

a1fBb3z.jpg

Last edited:

bthomp9

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    tipton
    Hey fellow Ingo rimfire shooters. Like a lot of folks I've been talking to lately, spending more time with the 22 stuff seems to be a good way to help conserve centerfire ammo, given the current "pandemic". I've had 22LR bolt guns on the brain again for awhile now and I'm hoping some other opinions can help me make a decision here.

I have a stockpile of CCI SV and Aguila SV ammo, so any decisions need to be made with that ammo in mind. Which might be the limiting factor also.
    I mainly shoot benchrest at 50 yards.

Here's what I want to accomplish:
    - Shoot consistent 1 moa groups at 50 yards, migrate to 100 yards and then eventually spend time learning to hate the wind at 200 yards.
    - Use the ammo I already have.

Here's what I want to spend:
    - My comfort area on guns has always been in the $500-$600 range, but I've been known to splurge and get over $1000 at times, if the extra cost is really worth it in regards to performance/quality/etc.
    So, we'll say $500 is the budget, unless I can really convince myself that the $1000 rifle would perform $500 better.

Here's my experience with rifles I've owned before:
    - Savage MKII FV-SR. Good accuracy, tight chamber, had issues with extraction, hated the mag design, flimsy plastic stock. BUT...it was a $250 rifle. This was many years ago.
    - Ruger Precision Rimfire w/Green Mountain barrel. Good accuracy, eventually grew tired of the plastic chassis as it seemed a little flimsy (mainly in the stock area). Hard to explain, but the rifle just didn't feel like quality to me. Averaged 0.702" groups with CCI SV at 50 yards.
    *Not bolt guns, but mentioning for accuracy reasons/comparison:
    - M&P15-22. Averages 1.173" with CCI SV at 50 yards.
    - Tippmann M4-22. Averages 0.741" with CCI SV at 50 yards. I have upgraded to a Larue trigger that I've got down to 3lbs using the Tippmann OEM springs. So my average has potential for improvement on this rifle. Have not shot with new trigger yet.

Rifles I've been looking at, in order of interest:
    - Tikka T1X. Around $500, I've handled in person, really like the smoothness of the action, seems well made, the factory plastic stock leaves me uncertain if I will grow to not like it and want to get aftermarket.
    - Savage B22 Precision. Also around $500. I really really like the MDT chassis on this one, action not as nice as the Tikka, questionable reliability based on internet forums/reviews (extractor, mags, bullet scraping, accuracy).
    - Savage B22 FV-SR. Around $300. Save money over the Precision if it shoots as accurately? I fondled one at the Sportsmans Warehouse (We The People / Overwatch version) and the stock was flimsier than the Tikka.
    - CZ 457 Pro Varmint or AT-One. $550 - $750. Friend has the AT-One, it's awesome, but will it shoot well for me? Pro-Varmint is available on GB for $200 less. Never shot one before (that I can remember).
    - Bergara B-14 R. $900. This is really pushing the budget. I've heard good things, but not handled one. I've handled the BXR, though that's not really the same, it did give me a glimpse of the build quality. Seemed nice.

Do I have unrealistic expectations with the ammo I have on hand? I'd hate to buy match ammo in this current market.
    Should I just spend more time with my Tippmann and save money?
    Should I take up knitting, puzzles and reading books instead of being on the internet?
    I looked at these guns too and just bought the Tikka and the krg. Bravo stock. The CZ was a close second. I pick it up Monday I'll let you know how it shoots

AdamP

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2019
    Louisville
    Tikka t1x, KRG Bravo, stock barrel and trigger, AccuTac bipod, Area 419 30 moa rail, Vortex Tactical rings, Nikon Black fx1000 IMG_20200715_185035_129.jpg

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Ruger American 22lr 22" barrel $199 on sale.

Unfortunately they are no longer shipping firearms or ammunition for some reason.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Ironically, I just ordered 5 boxes of Tenex as it was the only .22LR in stock anywhere I could find. Carlos, I'm happy to share some with you the next time we can meet up, as well as some of the other ammo I have (SK Standard Plus, Wolf Match Target, Federal Premium Target and CCI Green Tag). I even have 20 rounds of Lapua Center-X, 10 rounds of Lapua Midas+ and 10 rounds of SK Rifle Match right now, not that it does either of us any good.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom