• ...and so much more!
  • T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Hey fellow Ingo rimfire shooters. Like a lot of folks I've been talking to lately, spending more time with the 22 stuff seems to be a good way to help conserve centerfire ammo, given the current "pandemic". I've had 22LR bolt guns on the brain again for awhile now and I'm hoping some other opinions can help me make a decision here.

I have a stockpile of CCI SV and Aguila SV ammo, so any decisions need to be made with that ammo in mind. Which might be the limiting factor also.
    I mainly shoot benchrest at 50 yards.

Here's what I want to accomplish:
    - Shoot consistent 1 moa groups at 50 yards, migrate to 100 yards and then eventually spend time learning to hate the wind at 200 yards.
    - Use the ammo I already have.

Here's what I want to spend:
    - My comfort area on guns has always been in the $500-$600 range, but I've been known to splurge and get over $1000 at times, if the extra cost is really worth it in regards to performance/quality/etc.
    So, we'll say $500 is the budget, unless I can really convince myself that the $1000 rifle would perform $500 better.

Here's my experience with rifles I've owned before:
    - Savage MKII FV-SR. Good accuracy, tight chamber, had issues with extraction, hated the mag design, flimsy plastic stock. BUT...it was a $250 rifle. This was many years ago.
    - Ruger Precision Rimfire w/Green Mountain barrel. Good accuracy, eventually grew tired of the plastic chassis as it seemed a little flimsy (mainly in the stock area). Hard to explain, but the rifle just didn't feel like quality to me. Averaged 0.702" groups with CCI SV at 50 yards.
    *Not bolt guns, but mentioning for accuracy reasons/comparison:
    - M&P15-22. Averages 1.173" with CCI SV at 50 yards.
    - Tippmann M4-22. Averages 0.741" with CCI SV at 50 yards. I have upgraded to a Larue trigger that I've got down to 3lbs using the Tippmann OEM springs. So my average has potential for improvement on this rifle. Have not shot with new trigger yet.

Rifles I've been looking at, in order of interest:
    - Tikka T1X. Around $500, I've handled in person, really like the smoothness of the action, seems well made, the factory plastic stock leaves me uncertain if I will grow to not like it and want to get aftermarket.
    - Savage B22 Precision. Also around $500. I really really like the MDT chassis on this one, action not as nice as the Tikka, questionable reliability based on internet forums/reviews (extractor, mags, bullet scraping, accuracy).
    - Savage B22 FV-SR. Around $300. Save money over the Precision if it shoots as accurately? I fondled one at the Sportsmans Warehouse (We The People / Overwatch version) and the stock was flimsier than the Tikka.
    - CZ 457 Pro Varmint or AT-One. $550 - $750. Friend has the AT-One, it's awesome, but will it shoot well for me? Pro-Varmint is available on GB for $200 less. Never shot one before (that I can remember).
    - Bergara B-14 R. $900. This is really pushing the budget. I've heard good things, but not handled one. I've handled the BXR, though that's not really the same, it did give me a glimpse of the build quality. Seemed nice.

Do I have unrealistic expectations with the ammo I have on hand? I'd hate to buy match ammo in this current market.
    Should I just spend more time with my Tippmann and save money?
    Should I take up knitting, puzzles and reading books instead of being on the internet?

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Should I just spend more time with my Tippmann and save money?
    Should I take up knitting, puzzles and reading books instead of being on the internet?

:gheyhi:

(it's always fun to read your reports, amigo)

Duce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Delaware County
    Unless you're dead set on "something" new. I'd look at the used market. Around here somewhere there's a signed target shot at 100 yds. I shot at Monroe Twp. range. The 7 shot grp. measured .375, it was shot with a Marlin 880SQ rifle. That would be one model I'd look for. Look at Stevens bolt action 44's, warning the mag is worth nearly the price of the rifle. With your budget look at a Win. 52. On the sporting side look at Remington 510, 512 or Marlin 25 series. Want to take a walk on the wild side how about a Marlin 39. MOA @ 50, is a pretty loose, a quality rifle should beat that by half. Just some thoughts, now the fun begins. Just think of all the pawnshops, gun shops and the classifieds you can look at.:cool:<><Duce

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Riley Conservation Club has held .22 long range competition for 4 years. Go to their website, browse around until you find the match reports page and read their equipment lists. They have 15-30 entries, they don't get to cherry pick the weather or cherry pick an outstanding paper target to photo and post.

edwea

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 25, 2015
    New Dolan
    Of the rifles you mentioned, I have the most experience shooting the cz 457. I have two, american and varmint. Both are lights out with match ammo. And that is what I believe you'll find is the rub. Bulk ammo is just not going to perform at the level you sound like you're looking for. Mid grade MAY if your rifle happens to like it. Plan on spending for match grade ammo if you wan to stretch the legs on 22lr.

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    Maybe a spreadsheet would help? Listing the criteria that are most important to you, then ranking them for each model, and cross referencing by price? Are you familiar with scopes and how they work? I think with a little internet research and careful planning, you will come to a decision quickly. One that you will be happy with for a long, long time.

r6vr6

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Granger
    Don't buy a CZ...next thing you know you'll have 3 or 4. Love my 452s and anyone that has shot them loves them too. No reason to buy anything else.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Maybe a spreadsheet would help? Listing the criteria that are most important to you, then ranking them for each model, and cross referencing by price? Are you familiar with scopes and how they work? I think with a little internet research and careful planning, you will come to a decision quickly. One that you will be happy with for a long, long time.

This really makes a lot of sense. Instead of being so generalized; maybe a spreadsheet would help you focus in on what you really need and want out of a rifle.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Not really interested in older rifles, but I appreciate the suggestions. I generally like guns that have abundant parts availability for repairs, upgrades or mags. For what it's worth, I like plastic striker fired handguns and AR's, so if that gives an insight to my taste.

I skimmed through some of the Riley long range results. Saw ALOT of CZ's listed. Some Ruger, Savage, Anschutz, Tikka mixed in there too, but the CZ's were the majority.

I know that 22's can be ammo sensitive. What one gun likes, another may not. It did seem like quite a few people across multiple forums said they had good results with CCI SV in the Tikka.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree

LOL. I have a couple I'm looking to move. I'll send u a txt.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Not really interested in older rifles, but I appreciate the suggestions. I generally like guns that have abundant parts availability for repairs, upgrades or mags. For what it's worth, I like plastic striker fired handguns and AR's, so if that gives an insight to my taste.

I skimmed through some of the Riley long range results. Saw ALOT of CZ's listed. Some Ruger, Savage, Anschutz, Tikka mixed in there too, but the CZ's were the majority.

I know that 22's can be ammo sensitive. What one gun likes, another may not. It did seem like quite a few people across multiple forums said they had good results with CCI SV in the Tikka.

While your taste may lean toward striker fired handguns and AR's, I hope you noticed that none of the Riley shooters are using AR platforms. Your personal taste may be at odds with your objective.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Hawkeye7br and edwea are on to it.

We see lots of reports and even pictures of groups for .22 rifles at 50 yards. Hardly any at 100 yards and none beyond.

It's pretty easy to luck into a great group or two at 50 yards with the right gun/ammo combo. Even worse groups at 50 yards often don't look that bad. After 100 yards, the equipment, ammo and the shooting skills really really start to matter.

I would highly recommend bringing the gear you have to shoot Haweye7br's long range matches at Riley CC. The information learned from those matches is invaluable.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    While your taste may lean toward striker fired handguns and AR's, I hope you noticed that none of the Riley shooters are using AR platforms. Your personal taste may be at odds with your objective.
    I'm clear on that. I probably could have structured my sentence better. I think what I was trying to say was that I like more of the modern guns that are a bit easier to find parts for and more modular in regards to customizing to suit me. I'd hate to get an older rifle, that needs parts and I can't find them or they're crazy expensive. Or the stock doesn't work for me and I can't easily correct it, like a low comb height or short LOP or something. Sorry, I can be really picky, yet vague at the same time. There are a lot of options out there and it's quite overwhelming to try and make a decision.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Hawkeye7br and edwea are on to it.

We see lots of reports and even pictures of groups for .22 rifles at 50 yards. Hardly any at 100 yards and none beyond.

It's pretty easy to luck into a great group or two at 50 yards with the right gun/ammo combo. Even worse groups at 50 yards often don't look that bad. After 100 yards, the equipment, ammo and the shooting skills really really start to matter.

I would highly recommend bringing the gear you have to shoot Haweye7br's long range matches at Riley CC. The information learned from those matches is invaluable.
    Well, this is my current ability with my Tippmann .22 rifle. It's the only scope .22 that I have at the moment.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/long-guns/483488-22lr-rifle-range-fun-6.html#post8444011

I don't think I'm a slouch, but I know there's plenty of room for improvement too. I've shot past 50 yards with a .22 before, but haven't spent any significant amount of time on paper shooting for groups at anything other than 50.

Terre Haute is a 3 hr drive for me, but I have been to that range before, for a class with Coach with some years back.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I'll rephrase my opening post a little bit, because I realize that I've once again over-analyzed and over-complicated my attempt at putting my thoughts into sentences. Apologies.

What are some options for modern bolt action 22LR rifles that might be capable of shooting consistent 1/2" groups at 50 yards from a bench with either CCI SV or Aguila SV ammo?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Well, this is my current ability with my Tippmann .22 rifle. It's the only scope .22 that I have at the moment.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/long-guns/483488-22lr-rifle-range-fun-6.html#post8444011

I don't think I'm a slouch, but I know there's plenty of room for improvement too. I've shot past 50 yards with a .22 before, but haven't spent any significant amount of time on paper shooting for groups at anything other than 50.

Terre Haute is a 3 hr drive for me, but I have been to that range before, for a class with Coach with some years back.

I understand the long drive issue. I'm an hour out, on a good traffic day.

Just suggesting that it might be worth a trip or two to even watch one of these matches. They are very well run and have a variety of shooters from complete newbies, to literally world class/world record shooters, to 4H little girls that you wish you could shoot as good as. :)

To be very clear, I cannot run with the big dogs at this sport. Strangely, they still let me come shoot with them. I hope to get back to it next year. Again though, what was learned from shooting with the variety of competitors is immeasurable. Heck, learning the nuances of spotting for a serious competitor is itself substantial.

I run a cheap Savage and have yet to be able to outshoot it. :rolleyes: I do my best to make CCI SV work, but I'm not sure it really will. Consistency is what you get when you move from $.05 a round to double/triple, etc. per round.

IMHO CCI SV is consistent for 8-9 shots before a (not your fault) flyer bites you. Past a hundred yards, that really starts to make a lot of difference. Especially when judging wind and or calculating your hold from where your last miss was spotted.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom