• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    I have a FM-15 side charging upper AR that has a folding stock and doesn't require a buffer spring/tube that I'm looking to get a 22LR upper for that would allow me to use the same lower in its exact configuration.

I know of the CMMG bolt conversion but I've heard it gets mediocre at best accuracy from 223 barrels.

Is there a dedicated 22lr upper with mags that will fit in a standard magwell that I can fire folded still with this lower? I'm sure there's got to be one out there I just don't recall off the top of my head.

Any tips or help is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks ingo!

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    I am working with a Bear Creek arsenal 22LR side charger at the moment. Heavy beast.

I think it might work with your set up, but I would call and talk to them first.

Accuracy at the 25 yds I have available at the moment seems acceptable.

Ignition reliability has not been acceptable though. I believe this is partly firing pin profile, and partly hammer spring strength. I have a Wolff extra power hammer spring enroute. Once I have it and can assess ignition reliability I'll do a write up.

I assembled the rifle around an INGO lower.

Customer service has been acceptable. When I contacted them initially they had a firing pin in the mail within 24 hours.

Last edited:

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I assembled mine with an AR Stoner pistol upper receiver, CMMG dedicated 22lr barrel and the CMMG drop in bolt assembly. I like this set up because the ejection port in the upper is perfectly sized for the 22lr and doesn't have the forward assist. It is as accurate as any of my 10/22's.

DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    I am working with a Bear Creek arsenal 22LR side charger at the moment. Heavy beast.

I think it might work with your set up, but I would call and talk to them first.

Accuracy at the 25 yds I have available at the moment seems acceptable.

Ignition reliability has not been acceptable though. I believe this is partly firing pin profile, and partly hammer spring strength. I have a Wolff extra power hammer spring enroute. Once I have it and can assess ignition reliability I'll do a write up.

I assembled the rifle around an INGO lower.

Customer service has been acceptable. When I contacted them initially they had a firing pin in the mail within 24 hours.
    I've had 2 uppers with Bear Creek parts and I'd honestly like to never have any other parts from them.

I wish it wasn't the case, because that would be tempting just to keep both setups side charging.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    I've had 2 uppers with Bear Creek parts and I'd honestly like to never have any other parts from them.

I wish it wasn't the case, because that would be tempting just to keep both setups side charging.
    I understood the risk when I ordered from BCA, and may yet regret doing so. There are just so few options available which are not ridiculously over priced I had little choice. Nearly every other option was so over priced I could have purchased a nicely appointed distributor special sporter 10/22 for just the price of thier upper. Some I could have purchased the optic and mount as well.

That is not in the budget. BCA's price, plus the desire to build something on the INGO lower I hope my prodgeny will enjoy someday, made it the only option.

Jarvitron

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 12, 2023
    Indianapolis
    I started off with the CMMG conversion bolt and eventually upgraded to a dedicated barrel. The nice part is you just need to swap the chamber conversion part out with the dedicated collar to make it work with a dedicated barrel. IMG_2478.jpg
    IMG_2477.jpg

Jarvitron

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 12, 2023
    Indianapolis
    Oh and I am a vocal enthusiast about the BetterMag adapter. Lets you use the SW 15-22 magazines instead of the CMMG. They're easier to load and LRBHO works. And yes I know I spent about twice as much as I needed to to get to "it's a 15-22 but metal".

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I built an upper with a 16" CMMG dedicated .22LR barrel (1:16 twist) and bolt combo in January. I have probably close to 2000 rounds through the thing in the last few months and haven't managed to get it to malfunction yet with standard or high velocity ammo (it won't cycle CCI Quiet, but I didn't really expect it to). Accuracy is just fine for what I'm doing with it (4"-6"steel plates inside of 50 yards with irons).

The only thing I don't like is that you can't lock the bolt open...I've been considering one of the adapters that Jarvitron mentioned above, just for the sake of being able to lock the bolt open for safety, and because it will then truly mirror the manual of arms for my "real" ARs.

Top Bottom