• ...and so much more!
  • indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Brownell's has a sale going on for projectiles this week with some decent prcing.

My rifle is a 16" 1:7

What weight and bullet design will I likely get the best performance? I want match bullets, but which better, bthp or ELD tipped?

I am leaning toward Sierra matchking 69gr bthp or Hornady 73gr ELD tipped. Or are there better options?

What is the best choice? Will shoot 100-300yds at most (since I don't have a place to go longer).

Last edited:

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    What are you using them for?

What kind of barrel (Gov’t profile w/ chrome lined bore, or something like a Bartlein 20” stainless match)?

Your barrel should stabilize the 73gr ELD-M just fine, along with the 77gr SMK. But if your barrel isn’t capable of the kind of accuracy that an ELD-M is designed to give, you’ll be wasting money. For general target use and HD, a lot of folks are using the 77gr SMK these days.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Just target shooting. It’s a colt LE6920 with a 16 inch chrome lined barrel.

It’s already capable of sub MOA at 100 yards using PMC 62 gr green tip with this novice shooter, and I’m eager to see what match grade hand loads are capable of in it.

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    Just target shooting. It’s a colt LE6920 with a 16 inch chrome lined barrel.

It’s already capable of sub MOA at 100 yards using PMC 62 gr green tip with this novice shooter, and I’m eager to see what match grade hand loads are capable of in it.

No offense, but I’m struggling to believe you’re getting sub-MOA w/ a 6920 and an M855 clone. But maybe you got a REALLY good 6920 and a supreme lot of PMC, lol.

But if you want to stock up, by all means the SMK or ELD should both stabilize fine. If you wanna shoot further, go heavier. The 69gr SMK should do fine to 600y or so and probably save you some coin.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I regularly shoot 1.5" groups with it. If I slow down and take my time and relax I do even better. 100yds isn't really very far especially with the Vortex 1-4 on it. My next step is to put a free float hand guard on it and possibly get a little better consistency.

Folks have always ragged on Colts, but mine seems to "buck the trend". It has been 100% reliable and accurate enough for my needs through the 2500 or so rounds I've put through it.

Some day I'll either build my own or get a DD as an upgrade.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Also look into Privi 69 and 75 grainers for paper. Also on the market lately are #2 77 gn SMK's.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Brownell's has a sale going on for projectiles this week with some decent prcing.

My rifle is a 16" 1:7

What weight and bullet design will I likely get the best performance? I want match bullets, but which better, bthp or ELD tipped?

I am leaning toward Sierra matchking 69gr bthp or Hornady 73gr ELD tipped. Or are there better options?

What is the best choice? Will shoot 100-300yds at most (since I don't have a place to go longer).
    Does your rifle use AR-15 magazines?
    If so 77gr is about as heavy as you can go and still fit into an AR-15 magazine. If a bolt action you could go upto 90gr.

My AR-15's love the 75gr and 77gr both are 1-8. 1-7 will stabilize the heavier bullets say 69gr up.

Top Bottom