• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • G19G26

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    223 powder questions
    I know it's a bad time to start reloading something new, but...
    Starting to reload .223. Looking for suggestions on a powder that I might find available for 55 gr bullets.
    Also looking for suggested load data. Want a load for accuracy, not just stuff to go boom.

Yes, I do know powder is hard to come by.

Elcardo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 14, 2020
    Ft.wayne
    Just finished a pound of h322 seemed to run pretty good, not particularly dirty or anything like that

Fyi I dont load 223 for long range so cant say anything about accuracy or ballistics
    I load it with whatever cheap bulk bullets I can get (usually 55grn) and for those I just hit em with a 1.6 scoop (not a popular option I know) or if I'm doing larger batch I set my disk up to drop 23grn

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Now is not the time to be picky about what powder to use. Make a list of all the powder that will work for .223 and keep it handy while shopping.
    As to a recommended load, I would suggest doing a ladder test to see what your gun likes, then playing with the charge in ._ increments to find that node.
    When you settle on the charge weight play with the seating depth to really dial it in. just remember that Magazine length will limit your OAL

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    I have been using H335 with great results. CFE 223 would also be a good powder. I prefer ball or flake/disc powders as they meter better with the auto disc or drum powder measures vs the stick powders like IMR 2350 or Varget.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    My recommendation is to buy a reloading manual or several and see what they recommend. I started with Speer and am glad I quickly bought several others, because some of their loads at the time were significantly hotter than the others. I very rarely trust just one source. My preferred powder in 223 is W748.

SALJER

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    BEL AIR
    223 powder questions
    Starting to reload .223. Looking for suggestions on a powder that I might find available for 55 gr bullets.
    Also looking for suggested load data. Want a load for accuracy, not just stuff to go boom.

SALJER

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    BEL AIR
    There are so many great powders for 55 gr bullets. It all depends on what 55 gr bullet your rifle likes, not just the powder. Varget works good for me but others at my range swear by a dozen different powders. No simple answers to your question. The Lyman book marks their most accurate loads as does Sierra book, if your rifle meets their spec's. Happy testing.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    223 powder questions

Save your money and go with the bread and butter Winchester 748. When you can outshoot this or your barrel explodes because of copper build up, then you can spend some money on novelty powders. Also Loaddata.com is a good source if you have no printed manual. Load Data | The Best Reloading Manual Online This from Speer Manual #15.

Thanks and have fun handloading! IMG_1034 (002).jpg

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    CFE-223 flows like water through powder measures and is easy to keep an eye on when dropped into brass while loading. Check your manuals and the Hodgdon website for recommendations loading for 55grn Bullets. Have Fun!

G19G26

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    My recommendation is to buy a reloading manual or several and see what they recommend. I started with Speer and am glad I quickly bought several others, because some of their loads at the time were significantly hotter than the others. I very rarely trust just one source. My preferred powder in 223 is W748.
    I've got manuals, but trying to find loads with an available as possible powder

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I shoot mostly 55gr in .223. My go-to powder for that (and several other rifle calibers) is H335. It's a couple of bucks cheaper than many of the others, meters well, burns consistently and yields acceptable results for my purposes. Not being a stick powder, it's easy to get it into the small mouth of a .233 case. It is typically readily available around here, in the 1 and 8lb varieties, which is another reason I've gravitated towards it, but obviously these days you've gotta take what you can get. I'll be out of primers long before I work my way through what's left of my jug of H335.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    384   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    I shoot mostly 55gr in .223. My go-to powder for that (and several other rifle calibers) is H335. It's a couple of bucks cheaper than many of the others, meters well, burns consistently and yields acceptable results for my purposes. Not being a stick powder, it's easy to get it into the small mouth of a .233 case. It is typically readily available around here, in the 1 and 8lb varieties, which is another reason I've gravitated towards it, but obviously these days you've gotta take what you can get. I'll be out of primers long before I work my way through what's left of my jug of H335.
    HA...A (Full)#8 jug of H335 will load 2,240 rounds of 55gr. FMJ loads using the charge that I use..??
    I HOPE?? that you have more than 2,240 SR Primers??HA HA...Bill.

Top Bottom