• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cdscds

Plinker
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Looking to purchase a .22 target/plinking rifle for under $500. I like the cz heavy barrels, as well as a couple of the more costly savage rifles. I need something that will compete with Remington 541t, cz452, other mid lever 22 rifles. Talking 10 shots in the x ring. I can do it, have done it, just need a gun I can do it with comfortably. Any suggestions?

nicajack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011
    Miami County
    Mossberg made quite a few models that will do what you ask and they can all be had for under $300. Also, you might consider a Remigton model 521, which is a junior target rifle. It also can be had for less than $300. If you are inclined, you can find a nice 521 and then buy a model 511 stock and fit it to the 521 barreled action for a super sporter, squirrel gun.....

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    10 shots at 50 yards in the x-ring could be done with lots of tree rat guns with a bit of practice and a good scope. When you need to hit the center of the x each time is when it gets more expensive.

Benchrest target rifles are very heavy, 10 or more pounds Not plinking friendly or walking around friendly. It you want a plinker/target look at some of the hunter models of 22's.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I don't know where your shooting but this is a common question when people start shooting Rimfire matches at HHRP.

Of course the #1 rimfire rifle for accuracy are the Anschutz rifle's and you might be able to look around and find a used one for around that, its hard to find a good target grade rifle for $500,

If you have a 10/22 you can get 95% of the way there with kicking that pig around, Many of the premium barrel makers will give you good accuracy, I don't know if White Face mountian is still in business but they were the best economy priced match barrel. A good smith can get you a shilen blank and turn it for the 10/22, there are some good target stocks out there now, triggers are easy to find but one thing a lot of people forget to do is to work on the bolt, for the final bit get the bolt face flattend and the rim thickness set. You might avoid the match chambers and go for one of the modified chambers a Bentz chamber seems to be favored by alot of shooters.

If you have the cz and like it, have the trigger worked over and check it out with some good ammo. if it doesn't shoot take it to a smith and have him check it out, recrown and rechamber it and see how it does, or just get a new barrel on it.

Look at places like champion shooters supply they may have a used anschutz on the shelf.

Another choice would to be get one of the remington xb40 rifles and put it in an aluminum stock like the one from www.tubegun.net, there are a few shooters at the club with the Rem in a good stock that shoot right up there.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    A 10/22 with a heavy barrel will certainly be up to the task...mine will easily do it
    1022tactical.jpg

Win52C

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Lawrence County
    You could consider a Winchester 75 target. You might find one in that range. Equivalent to a 513 Remington or Anschutz 64 action. If your want better. Like Anschutz 54, rem 40 x or Winchester 52. You'll have to raise your spending limit !!

Plinker
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    You could get a Ruger 77/22 the scope mounts are built into the receiver and they come with rings. That will save you some cash as they are a little over 500$. I think they are a good feeling full size field gun.

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    Looking to purchase a .22 target/plinking rifle for under $500. I like the cz heavy barrels, as well as a couple of the more costly savage rifles. I need something that will compete with Remington 541t, cz452, other mid lever 22 rifles. Talking 10 shots in the x ring. I can do it, have done it, just need a gun I can do it with comfortably. Any suggestions?

Well, I see lots of good suggestions being put forward here, as to some great shooting set-ups. But jmarriot brought up the real question that needs to be answered....... and that is: Just what is your main purpose/use for the gun? Will you be doing target shooting and hunting and general plinking with it? Or will you mainly be shooting benchrest-type target sports at 50 yards; or maybe variable distance "Friday Night" steel/silhouette from a standing position.

These questions really need to be answered more clearly..... before anyone here can properly 'hone in' on what are acceptable rifle options for your intent. I mean you state, "Looking to purchase a .22 target/plinking rifle..." and you then throw in the requirement of ..."ten shots in the X ring." So, if you're talking about ten shots in the X ring every time...... then you're no longer talking about a "plinking" rifle. And what distance are you putting these 10 shots up at? 25 yards? Fifty? 100 maybe? All I'm saying is.... depending on what the answers to those questions are....... you would be talking about different guns, really.

If you are looking for a benchrest only kind of gun...... look around for a Remington 540X or even a Remmy 541-T. Also, as mentioned previously in this thread, any 64 or 54 based Anschutz action would be a great start. And many of the Annies.... even w/ original factory HB will shoot 'X's... all day long; if you can. Another great thing about the Anschutz rimfire rifles is.... most of their models have an adjustable trigger. So that can be very much an asset, in BR shooting. But you're likely talking $700-$800, even for a clean used model.... especially by the time you mount a decent scope on her.

Last edited:

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    Green607 summs it up

too many guys say they want x ring accuracy and can't hit the xring with thier hat, most shooters don't understand the jump from an accurate plinker (custom 10/22, 77/22, CZ) to a true target gun, (anshcutz 1903), and many are not willing to take the time, pateince, and cost to get there.

Plus your not going to get Xrings with Walmart bulk or any of the other common brand "target ammo",

Your going to have to jump up to Eley, Lapua ECT. Even the Wolf "target" has varibiltiy that I really don't consider it a true target ammo.

Now I'm talking the difference between .250 groups and .050 groups.
    and the differnece between a nice crisp 2.9 lb trigger and a true target trigger of 6-11 oz.

I don't think many shooters have been exposed to the top end rimfire shooting. If a person wants to see what its about head down to hhrp.org on a rifle 3 position match, and if you think your XXX brand 22 is accurate jump in on a match, its a 50ft match using a standard A17 targets Standing sitting and prone, 10 shot each, for a total of 30 shots, one shot per target. 10 ring is about 1/3 the size of the bullet, Target equipment is allowd,

It took me about 2 years and I went through 3 scopes and 2 guns to make it in the 290 club and I don't know how much Eley Target Rifle.

If you want to explore Rimfire accuracy start shooting with us on thursday nights

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    Money was tight so it passed through my hands,but I did own a Winchester 52C that had a Lyman Targetspot scope on it.It opened up to me a world of 50 yard accuracy that I did not really believe was possible!Unfortunately even an ugly one costs 7 or 800$.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I'm very pleased with the way my Savage Mark II BV shoots, but as x10 said, it's not quite like a target rifle.

a few comments:

Ammo variation is probably what kills my scores more than anything. (Sure, blame the ammo!) I can't bear to pay Eley and Lapua prices... or even Wolf. I can group in the .30"s pretty regularly at 50 yards with cheap "match" ammo, and I have had one elusive groups in the .10"s. With the ammo I can afford I get flyers, and it only takes one or two to spoil a 50/50 benchrest match.

Second is the trigger. (Sure, blame the gun!) The Savage trigger is very nice, but it's nothing like a target trigger. Mine breaks at 3.0# and it won't go any lower. A 12-14oz Accu-Trigger replacement would be a godsend. My 1/8 MOA target dot scope at 24x fit instide the 10 ring at 50 yards, and I can see the movement as I squeeze the trigger. COME ON, RIFLE BASIX and SSS, I'M BEGGING!

Third is the stock... get one of the stocks with a high comb if you can. Proper cheek weld on a standard stock while peering through the scope is impossible. I can't understand why anyone builds rifles without sights, but put stocks on them for iron sights. (Savage came out with their BTV the season after I bought mine. :xmad:)

Fourth is my heartbeat. Maybe I need to find a way to control it, or stop it. :): I'm constantly annoyed by the bouncing crosshairs. I might have to get a gel recoil pad or something.

Anyway those are the things that I feel keep me out of the 0.20"s consistently, and maybe the 0.10"s... I'm too cheap to find out, I guess...

silkpoet

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 6, 2010
    SW Indiana
    i have no desire to upgrade my cz 452 varmint
    I have the CZ 452 with the 16" threaded barrel (with appropriate adapter obviously) and I would be hard pressed to shoot more accurately with any gun. It is amazing. CZ puts a great machine together, not to mention they look great.

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    CZ's certainly do have a loyal fan base, and a vastly growing one, at that. Why their rimfire rifles are so inherently accurate, right out of the box, is the sixty-four thousand dollar question..... the last decade or so. The CZ models in .22LR and .17 HM2 are selling like hot cakes (as they say)..... and it's no wonder. They are truly well-built and quite accurate... alot like the Annie's.

Too bad in great models like the 452 American, the factory trigger sucks so bad. Have you done the Wolf spring kit replacement on yours? Some say that makes them pretty darn 'clean' breaking.

cdscds

Plinker
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Hey thanks everyone for the input, I found a Winchester 52b TARGET rifle for $650. Its not mint, I would give it 80% condition probably. I wanted to stay under 500 but with my tax check rolling in I just went for an american classic at what I think was a 1/2 decent deal. Im going to throw a redfield 20x scope on it and see what it will do.

Top Bottom