• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 66chevelle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    greenfield
    My wife has her heart set on a P22 because she says it fells the best to her. I don't think she should because I don't think a 22 round is good for self defense. I carry a 45 or a 357 as my carry gun but she says they are to big for her to be carrying. I took her out shooting Saturday and she said that my P89 had a little to much recoil and was to big for her hand. I would like to see her get a 380 or a 9 but I also don't want her to be scared of it either. I am not saying that a 22 isn't a good round but I just don't think it is big enough for a carry round. . What are you opinions on carrying a 22 and what are your opinions on like a 25 or a 32 if she wont go to a 9? Thanks for all your help.

Last edited by a moderator:

slacker

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapols, IN
    If a .22 is the only caliber she is comfortable and effective with then that's that. A .22 is a million times better than no gun at all, and a .22 in the right hands can be very effective.

As for getting her to try different guns; maybe take a ride over to pops and do their flat rate rental charge and see if she likes any of the guns they offer in 9mm. you could also have her try holding a few other handguns while you are there. Maybe a Glock 26 sub-compact 9mm would fit the bill if she can handle the recoil?

Good luck, and happy shopping.

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    First off she is much better off with the .22 than the .25 ..
    a .32 is not bad like the beretta 3032 tomcat ...

but its all about what she is comfortable with , shot ploacement is everything ..

I would rather shoot the BG in the face with a .22 than hit them in he arm or foot with a .44 :twocents:

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    If a .22 is the only caliber she is comfortable and effective with then that's that. A .22 is a million times better than no gun at all, and a .22 in the right hands can be very effective.

Agree with this.

Every decision you make for a self-defense firearm is some kind of trade-off. There is no one right answer for everyone.

Your wife armed with a .22 that she is totally confident with, that she loves to shoot, that she takes to the range frequently, and is therefore proficient, is going to be a lot better off than your wife armed with a gun she's afraid of, that she doesn't like to shoot, that she never practices with, and probably doesn't even carry because she doesn't like it.

Has she held a little Keltec .380 or a j-frame revolver?

I realize there are a lot of different opinions on this, and every shooter responds to different guns differently. However - for me - small blowback .380s and j-frame revolvers are not the most pleasant guns to shoot in terms of recoil feel. I do carry a .380 at times, and my wife has a j-frame, but they both have a nasty recoil sting. Part of it is being so small and light, there is not a lot of mass to soak up the recoil impulse. I would rather shoot my 10mm or my 357 SIG all day long than shoot 100 rounds through my j-frame or my wife's .380. Like I said they are handy little guns and they do have their use, but neither one of these would be my first choice for a shooter who comes to me complaining about recoil.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    See if you can borrow a Ruger SP101 and throw some .38 Special through it?

Yes, of course, it's more recoil than a .22. But a heavy gun like the SP101 with some wad-cutters through it ought to be quite manageable...

Just a thought.

-J-

Wesley929

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    NW INDY
    I'm in the same boat. My wife loves her P22 and has wants to get her carry permit. I would rather her carry something larger but she hasn't found anything in a larger caliber that 1)fits her hand 2)has a managable recoil for her.....To satisfy both of those criteria I'm looking for a small Heavier gun to reduce recoil. Maybe even considering a compensated G19. Small enough to fit her hand but large enough to bring the recoil down a little and then with it being compensated it will reduce a little more.

That being said. .22LR is a nasty little round thats known for bouncing off bone and redirecting numerous times in the body. People have been shot in the left leg and had the bullet come out their right shoulder. A good .22LR hollow point would work if thats all she's comfortable with.

So far I haven't found any gun in any caliber that shes as comfortable with. My next move is like I said to have her try the compensated G19 if I can find out to rent or meet someone who has one.

Old Syko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    I know a man who through living a rather nefarious lifestyle has been on the recieving end of multiple calibers including 45, and 357, that claims the 3, 22s he took in the chest while attending a buddies wedding were the most immediately debilitating of them all. I have no personal experience so will have to take his word for it.:dunno:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Walther just announced a P22-sized pistol in .380 called the PK380 (photo by Dr. Ken Lunde):
    2009shotshow-01152009-019.jpg

Maybe worth waiting for?

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    Cornered Cat - Which Gun for Me?

My thoughts: support her with the P22. Get her used to shooting. Get her used to carrying. Get her comfortable with it. Introduce her to firearms training. Most courses I've looked at won't take anything smaller than a 9mm. Instill in her how important it is to be good and accurate (shot placement is key, especially if she's set on a .22), and convince her that taking trainings regularly is the best way to improve her techniques. (By the way, go with her. You might learn something, too, and it lets her know you really do support her. That said, don't do everything for her. Make her do it on her own while you're there.)

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    What Pami said.

I'd take a .22LR or a .25 ACP over finger nails any day.

I'd take a .22LR revolver over a .22 auto (too many chances for failure in an auto, failure to feed, failure to fire, failure to eject), Smith and Taurus have good ones.

I'd take a .22 over a .25

I'd take a .32 ACP over a .22. Kel-Tec, NAA, Beretta, Browning

I'd take a .22 Magnum (WMR) revolver over a .32. I think Smith, Taurus, and Charter make these.

.380 ACP over a .22 Magnum (Kel-Tec, Ruger, Browning, NAA, Bersa, Walther, SigSauer)

I have a really hard time recommending anything smaller than a .380.

.38 Special over a .380 (Smith, Ruger, Colt, Taurus)

9mm over a .38 (everybody)

After that, it's just caliber wars.

That new Walther .380 would be a great choice if she like the P22!

(but it might not come in pink right away)

Also there's the Bersa Thunder .380 or .380 CC for ~$240 or ~$300.

Last edited:

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    See if you can borrow a Ruger SP101 and throw some .38 Special through it?

Yes, of course, it's more recoil than a .22. But a heavy gun like the SP101 with some wad-cutters through it ought to be quite manageable...

Just a thought.

-J-

A 3" SP101 with target load .38s loaded in it actually doesn't have much more recoil than a .22. In fact, it may be even less. My favorite target .38 load is a 158 grain bullet going over the chronograph at 700 fps. It just kinda goes "bump" when you shoot it. Something like this would be better than a .22, IMHO. IF she'll carry it. A .22 is hardly ideal for self-defense, but as others have pointed out it beats the heck out of the DeathRay 1000 sitting at home in a nightstand drawer.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I'm in the same boat. My wife loves her P22 and has wants to get her carry permit. I would rather her carry something larger but she hasn't found anything in a larger caliber that 1)fits her hand 2)has a managable recoil for her.....To satisfy both of those criteria I'm looking for a small Heavier gun to reduce recoil. Maybe even considering a compensated G19. Small enough to fit her hand but large enough to bring the recoil down a little and then with it being compensated it will reduce a little more.

That being said. .22LR is a nasty little round thats known for bouncing off bone and redirecting numerous times in the body. People have been shot in the left leg and had the bullet come out their right shoulder. A good .22LR hollow point would work if thats all she's comfortable with.

So far I haven't found any gun in any caliber that shes as comfortable with. My next move is like I said to have her try the compensated G19 if I can find out to rent or meet someone who has one.

If she likes the feel of the P22, have you had her check out a P99, or the much smaller PPS?

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Make sure she sees this too.
    Without "accessory rail" I bet is would feel a lot nicer in an IWB holster.

MVC-787F.jpg

We checked out a Bersa Thunder .380 yesterday. She prefers a bigger gun and caliber, but there are times, especially when she's all prettied up in a nice dress, that the Bersa would be nice.. you can read that "all she'd carry." I've read a lot of good reports about them, and it did feel good. We may have to pick one up for her. And a nice thigh holster to carry it in :)

Top Bottom