• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Had a neighbor approach me looking for good 22-250 varmint ammo. He wanted max velocity for 300yd drop mitigation, but he was also concerned about burning out his barrel. Originally he asked for 40gn V-Max, but the 50gn bullets are much easier on his barrel throat. Below are the production specs and pics.

Brass: 100pcs of Lapua 22-250, lightly tarnished, a couple corrosion spots. Nothing severe. The brass was from another bolt gun, so it was all FL resized, trimmed to 1.900" and polished to a high, bright shine.

Bullets: Nosler Varmint 50gn Ballistic Tips. I use these personally and have seen what they can do to raccoons and coyote, so it was an easy choice.

Primers - Federal 210

Powder - 39.5gns of Hodgdon CFE 223, really clean and prevents super fast bullets from leaving fouled barrels. It also makes cleaning suppressors easy.

Total cost:
    Brass - $0.00, user provided
    Bullets - 100 pcs, $39.99
    Primers - $8.00
    Powder - $16.92
    Loading Charge - $40.00

FPS: @3950 average

Total Cost - $104.91. Cost per round, $1.04. Cost per 20 round box - $20.98.
    Compare at $43.99 for Nosler 55gn factory ballistic tip ammo. Total savings for handloads: $115.04.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    I personally was on my 3rd heavy barrel on a winchester 70 model when i sold it, well over 3000 ft your barrels burn out quickly, i always wondered after i sold it and cryogen barrels came out if it would have prolonged the life with such fast projectile speeds?? sounds like you did your neighbor a solid, kudos to you!!!!!!

55fairlane

Master
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    I'm spitti g a 69 SMK out of mine at 3400FPS , I have been known to use it for mid range matches (300 reduced, 600 full distance) and mine just plain flat hammers & an I get decent barrel life.

Aaron

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I don't understand why someone would want a projectile that heavy for a round that is designed for light and fast.

Personally, I don't worry about burning my barrel out. I shoot 150 rounds a year max at 4100 fps. It's gonna take a while to burn it out and I'll sacrifice the barrel for a flat shooter.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    I don't understand why someone would want a projectile that heavy for a round that is designed for light and fast.

Personally, I don't worry about burning my barrel out. I shoot 150 rounds a year max at 4100 fps. It's gonna take a while to burn it out and I'll sacrifice the barrel for a flat shooter.
    I know=Old Post...
    Why would One want to run a 22-250 at 4100 fps???
    Would make more sense to just get a 220 Swift and go at it..

I have more than a few 22-250's, and they push a 50-53 projectile along at 3500 fps, give or take, with GREAT SUCCESS and do not "Melt Down" my chambers.

With the bullets today=Ballistic Tip, V-Max, Barnes, etc, they will "Blow Up" any Varmint at 3200 fps as well as they do at 4100 fps???

I KNOW what opinions are like==BUT== why overload a 22-250 Remington load like that???...Bill.

Basher

Expert
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    With the bullets today=Ballistic Tip, V-Max, Barnes, etc, they will "Blow Up" any Varmint at 3200 fps as well as they do at 4100 fps???

I KNOW what opinions are like==BUT== why overload a 22-250 Remington load like that???...Bill.

…for a flat shooter.

It doesn’t appear to be about explosive terminal ballistics for Rookie. It’s about shooting flat enough that shots at distance don’t require as much holding over, which typically means fewer misses and faster shots when it’s a target-rich environment. ;)

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Basher is right. I'm not shooting a 22-250. I'm shooting 6mm creedmoor, but it's still hard on the barrel. Hunting with a thermal scope at night, one of the hardest things to do is judge distance. A small coyote at 200 yards will look the same distance as a large coyote at 300 yards. Because distance is harder to judge, I want a laser. The trade off is shorter barrel life. Since I'm only shooting 150 rounds a year (and that's a very good year, more like 50-75), it's a trade that I'm happy to make.

I did look into the 220 swift, but they are more sensitive to wind drift.

Top Bottom