• Status
    Not open for further replies.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Must be rib day today. We had ribs as well. I would've taken pics of them but they went quick because they were so damn tasty. I guess I could've taken a pic of the bones. I did'nt eat those. The quality of the ribs was exceptional. Tender good pull off the bone bite, meaty with hardly any fat.

Ribs, potato salad, baked beans and deviled eggs. :drool:

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Hmmm.. its a small 6 pounder. I'll start a bit earlier.

EDIT: And I'm not against cheating and finishing in the oven at a higher temp to cheat/shorten the cook.

AAR: It was good. smoked at 225, around 155 wrapped in butcher paper and cranked the smoker up to 350. removed the paper at 195 and finished it to crisp up the crust until it hit 205. Then rested it in a makeshift cooler. (two 13x9 pans in a clamshell, covered in a couple bath towels for insulation)

I wont do it like that again. It was tasty, but not get up before dawn and work all day for it tasty.

The center apparently didnt get to temp quite hot enough as there was a section that wasnt tough, but it wasnt mushy tender like good pulled pork. (70% of the meat was really tender) So I must not have found the absolute center of the meat.

Next time I'll probably cheat and smoke it for several hours, wrap it, and finish in the oven at a high temp so I can do it in under 8 hours. Crunchy crust be damned. LOL

Thanks to all for your suggestions and guidance.

Oh, and I had a panic attack because I forgot about the stall. So it hit 100* by 9am, and Im thinking "crap, at this rate it will be done by lunch! and the wife hates reheated meat!" LOL

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I don't think I posted it here but I did this for myself a few weeks ago when my wife was out of town. She said she wanted to try it so I made a last minute decision this evening and lit the BGE, ran to the small grocery store close by and grabbed a pair of their smoked pork chops and a few ears of corn. Cut up a few pears we bought at Costco that don't seem to want to soften and grilled those up as well.

This will probably make it into the regular rotation this summer. It's a great combo and these smoked chops are phenomenal. I get them from the Cicero Market but the people working either don't know or won't name where they get them. They did tell me they cut them in the store, I've had very similar from Maddie Moo's Custom Meats in Middletown but I don't know if that's where they're coming from.

zIWN70Th.jpg

DDVaxhVh.jpg

xYnGYvph.jpg

D6ZVw36h.jpg

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    I don't think I posted it here but I did this for myself a few weeks ago when my wife was out of town. She said she wanted to try it so I made a last minute decision this evening and lit the BGE, ran to the small grocery store close by and grabbed a pair of their smoked pork chops and a few ears of corn. Cut up a few pears we bought at Costco that don't seem to want to soften and grilled those up as well.

This will probably make it into the regular rotation this summer. It's a great combo and these smoked chops are phenomenal. I get them from the Cicero Market but the people working either don't know or won't name where they get them. They did tell me they cut them in the store, I've had very similar from Maddie Moo's Custom Meats in Middletown but I don't know if that's where they're coming from.

zIWN70Th.jpg

DDVaxhVh.jpg

xYnGYvph.jpg

D6ZVw36h.jpg
    Maddie Moos is a nice spot for custom cut meat too. Tim even has Bison from time to time…

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Cut down some crab apple trees a few years back. Planning on smoking a pork butt tomorrow with it.

I'm stripping the bark off with a tomahawk...it's dry so pretty easy to do.

Some claim the bark can impart a less desirable taste. I don't know if that is true.

Do any of you folks know?

12F1C68F-7637-455E-9B92-FC885C621B40.jpeg

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    And for the main item on the menu tonight:
    20230602_201439.jpg
    Kinders steakhouse seasoning and a squeeze of lemon followed by hickory wood in the Kamado Joe at 400⁰

Unknown what sides we are having. It is always a mystery to me :):

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out

Hit the stall around 7 hours in.... decided to let it go a while longer to improve the bark.

8.5 hours in:

F8F79AD9-48A6-45DF-BF78-EC4EB552BCAB.jpeg

Pulled and wrapped in paper.
    Guessing a few more hours before it goes to a cooler to rest.

It's fun when you have a day that allows the time needed for it!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    No pics, but I found my new all time favorite cut. Center cut sirloin, 2" thick. its a boys night in since the girls are off in a hotel for the night*.

The boy wanted grilled meat so I went and got us some. I found two of these in the meat case at my Neighborhood Walmart so I snagged them. They effortlessly grilled to a perfect medium rare with some Brazilian Steakhouse seasoning and kosher salt. :drool:

Going to have to call my butcher and put in a special order for more. Probably the best steak I've ever grilled. I cant even imagine how good they will be from him.

*On an unrelated note, anyone of the prayerful type, put in a word for my daughter tonight. Wife and daughter are in a hotel across town. Daughter suffers from extreme anxiety, and tonight is her first time away from home since her anxiety started during the pandemic. (coincidental and hereditary... she's her mom's daughter) We are working through getting her out and about farther and farther from home and outside her comfort zone. The goal is to get her comfortable again with long drives and hotels/VRBOs so she is ready for our week long vacation in Canada. No chime in's needed to derail the thread. I know y'all will be praying because INGO is just that awesome.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom