• Status
    Not open for further replies.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    OK. Wasnt sure whether to put this in first world problems or here.

So besides foil, what do you suggest for the "2" stage in 3-2-1 ribs? (I actually use 1-1-1)
    Its 3 hours in smoke, 2 tightly wrapped in a foil pouch, 1 hour back in the smoker to get a crust.
    Today I got to stage 2 and placed the two half racks on the foil on a jelly roll pan. I picked up the smoker rack and water was pouring out of a hole in the bottom of the foil. OK, try again.

I redid it and it seemed ok. Opened the smoker door a few minutes later to check something and I saw water dripping off the pouch. Apparently I poked a hole again. Seems like this happens about every other smoke session.

Ideas for that "sealed" braising stage that doesnt involve a foil pouch or disposable foil trays? I'm running about 275-300* and its a Bradley smoker, so the basket is about 9 1/2" x 10" of space to work with. A metal pan with a tight fitting metal lid?
    I would suggest Tupperware but that probably wouldn't work either.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Meijer had the leftover corned beefs from St Patty's on sale for around $5 ea so the wife and I snagged 8 of em for the freezer. Kept one back and made a pastrami a few days go. Well worth the effort but the rub recipe I used was equal parts coriander and black pepper, the next one will be 75% black pepper. Other than that it was well worth the minimal effort. Hard to beat it on rye with swiss & mustard.

RR5aQhZh.jpg

jh09aqsh.jpg

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Meijer had the leftover corned beefs from St Patty's on sale for around $5 ea so the wife and I snagged 8 of em for the freezer. Kept one back and made a pastrami a few days go. Well worth the effort but the rub recipe I used was equal parts coriander and black pepper, the next one will be 75% black pepper. Other than that it was well worth the minimal effort. Hard to beat it on rye with swiss & mustard.

RR5aQhZh.jpg

jh09aqsh.jpg
    homer-simpson.gif

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    OK. Wasnt sure whether to put this in first world problems or here.

So besides foil, what do you suggest for the "2" stage in 3-2-1 ribs? (I actually use 1-1-1)
    Its 3 hours in smoke, 2 tightly wrapped in a foil pouch, 1 hour back in the smoker to get a crust.
    Today I got to stage 2 and placed the two half racks on the foil on a jelly roll pan. I picked up the smoker rack and water was pouring out of a hole in the bottom of the foil. OK, try again.

I redid it and it seemed ok. Opened the smoker door a few minutes later to check something and I saw water dripping off the pouch. Apparently I poked a hole again. Seems like this happens about every other smoke session.

Ideas for that "sealed" braising stage that doesnt involve a foil pouch or disposable foil trays? I'm running about 275-300* and its a Bradley smoker, so the basket is about 9 1/2" x 10" of space to work with. A metal pan with a tight fitting metal lid?
    Sounds like pink butcher paper would serve you well here.

91FXRS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 6, 2011
    NWI
    Last time we bought a whole pork loin I smoked it whole in the pellet grill and it was good. This time I cut it in thirds and used the middle for some thick cut chops that turned out amazing!! I seasoned them same as I do my pork butts, seared them and cooked to 140 then rest covered in foil for a bit. IMG_1186.JPG IMG_1188.JPG IMG_1192.JPG

JamesV

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 13, 2015
    The Region
    The wrap part for ribs I've seen, forgot who, is doing a foil boat for the bottom then pink butcher paper for the top.
    You get the wrap part but the paper top doesn't soften the bark as a full foil wrap.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I dont think it was bones. it could be that I put the foil on the rack first. Might try the cookie sheet direct then lift the tent onto the rack.

But starting to look for an appropriate sized cake pan/metal lid to try.
    I use 2 layers of heavy duty foil because stage 2 adds butter and either brown sugar or (real) maple syrup. Don't want leaks.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Had a spur of the moment dinner with friends Saturday night. The theme was appetizers you have the ingredients to make on hand.

So some smoked cream cheese, one for dipping, one for jalapeno popper filling, wings, and spinach artichoke dip.

Friends brought meatballs in vodka sauce. All I could think when eating them was how much better they'd have been if I had smoked them. :D

m5Z20Sjl.jpg

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Taters, onion, garlic, chicken and spinach.

Found on a kamado joe youtube. It was good the first time. Worth a second chance but we got the wrong cut of chicken.

20230519_191548.jpg

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom