• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Wow that’s cool. I broadcast by hand and over seed like crazy…. Have a heck of a clover plot this year though (planted last year)

model1994

quick draw mcgraw
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 17, 2022
    glacial boundary
    Wow that’s cool. I broadcast by hand and over seed like crazy…. Have a heck of a clover plot this year though (planted last year)
    red or white? I’m planning to get white clover established as a ground over most everywhere I can. Seeds are just so expensive, like many other seeds though.

I prefer hunting later season and am still deciding what the deer prefer during those times. Usually tail rather than food lol

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    red or white? I’m planning to get white clover established as a ground over most everywhere I can. Seeds are just so expensive, like many other seeds though.

I prefer hunting later season and am still deciding what the deer prefer during those times. Usually tail rather than food lol
    The mix I got was red and white but only the white came back very little red. And I too am planting clover just about everywhere ruralking has 50# for $150 best I could find

Last edited:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    We plant some every year. Depending on other available food sources, they either destroy them shortly after the first heavy frost or hardly touch them until late season.
    We've got two small plots loaded up with last year's radishes and turnips which are sitting half above the surface and rotting away. Every once in awhile you'll see one with a bit out of it. I've yet to see the deer do much of anything with the radishes and turnips we've planted over the years.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    We've got two small plots loaded up with last year's radishes and turnips which are sitting half above the surface and rotting away. Every once in awhile you'll see one with a bit out of it. I've yet to see the deer do much of anything with the radishes and turnips we've planted over the years.
    That's not the first time I've heard reports of deer ignoring turnips and radishes. Probably and indication that your deer have better food options. The deer in my area seem to greatly prefer radishes to turnips but will eat both to the ground at some point every season and I've even seen them dig up every last bit of radish even if they were reeking.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Glad we had some rain yesterday for the food plots.

I can’t decide if I want to spray round up and then plant the plot in that or if I want to lightly till it then plant.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia

I can’t decide if I want to spray round up and then plant the plot in that or if I want to lightly till it then plant.
    We always spray, give it a week then till and plant.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson

How thick and tall is the vegetation you're spraying currently? Tilling will dredge up weed seeds and allow them to germinate but it may be your only realistic option if the veg is thick or tall. If you have a tractor a better option would be to see if your local SWCD office has a no-till drill available for rent.

Top Bottom