• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    The wife asked me to go help her pick something up yesterday afternoon. It turned out to be my Father's Day gift that came in a little late and I cannot wait to put this thing to use. I'd never ever heard of or seen these models, it sure looks like I'll be using the griddle a lot more frequently moving forward. No more rust!
    Did I read that right? The griddle itself is 89#?
    The more I smoke the less I worry about the rub or it’s ingredients. A rub definitely contributes to the bark but I unless I cake it on I can’t really taste any appreciable difference between rubs. The sweetness and heat/pepper level is discernible but things like garlic, celery or other seasonings disappear.

For beef I’m down to just salt and pepper most times.

For pork I’ll add paprika and brown sugar to the S&P.

For smoked chicken I usually brine with some of the above and maybe toss an orange in the mix and sometimes molasses.
    For things like Butts or other things that are going to be shredded I'll use a little rub for bark and then mix some in after it's shredded.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Just dumped my broken down gas grill for this XL Egg. Really getting into the grilling scene. My daughter works for True Value so I get 1/2 off. Just used it on some 14oz Ribeyes. Man did that give me a wonderful sear. Tasty. Can't wait until I get smoking.

D7YHhbr.jpg

BN9IIHO.jpg

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Just dumped my broken down gas grill for this XL Egg. Really getting into the grilling scene. My daughter works for True Value so I get 1/2 off. Just used it on some 14oz Ribeyes. Man did that give me a wonderful sear. Tasty. Can't wait until I get smoking.

D7YHhbr.jpg

BN9IIHO.jpg

Half off?

Dang!

tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    People talking about the rubs, I've been using Flying Swine sweet and spicy or sweet and smoky. Just some No MSG rub off Amazon and like it well enough I haven't tried others, but should. Been buying local whole hogs and half beefs.

Posted previously about "pre-smoking" a bunch of salted and seasoned mostly frozen beef and pork roasts, then refreezing. I put a presmoked and then reseasoned beef sirloin tip roast on the grill as I wasn't patient enough to let it thaw more. It probably took an extra couple hours but I started at high smoke 220F to thaw and worked my way up to 325F over a couple hours, finishing the roast at 145F internal temp. Turned out real well for a lean cut of beef and I suppose it took on more smoke before I turned up the heat.

Wife made some refrigerator pickles and onions so those went on the sandwich. Used a local farm market Kyuri cucumber (Japanese), which are thin skin without developed seed and are excellent.

PXL_20220703_170949553.jpg PXL_20220703_165018745.jpg

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    What is everyone’s go to seasoning for pork butt? Or your go to seasoning in general. I use to make my own seasoning but got lazy and started buying in bottles. I go in spurts of killer hogs, meat church honey hog, suckle busters and here recently I have been using operation BBQ relief sweet smoky rub. I typically don’t branch out much unless I have tried it before since it’s such a long process for pork butt for it to turn out bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    For pork, I usually mix up a rub with brown sugar, paprika, black pepper, kosher salt, garlic powder and onion powder. You can throw in a little cayenne too if you like that. I use commercial rubs too but don't find much difference between them. They are all pretty good.

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    Found out the importance of a thermometer probe placed on the smoker rack.

I've got a pork shoulder in the Bradley, and seeing how I got a new thermometer to use, I put my old probe on the rack. The thermometer on the door was reading 225F and the probe was reading 261F! Assuming the old thermometer with probe is accurate, that is a big difference.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Found out the importance of a thermometer probe placed on the smoker rack.

I've got a pork shoulder in the Bradley, and seeing how I got a new thermometer to use, I put my old probe on the rack. The thermometer on the door was reading 225F and the probe was reading 261F! Assuming the old thermometer with probe is accurate, that is a big difference.
    I learned that lesson a couple years ago when I got my first thermometer with probes. They are pretty close up to 200 and then the gap grows rapidly. I always use a probe on the rack now.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    This is a new one. Making Poor Mans Burnt Ends. It uses a chuck roast instead of brisket. After a couple hours it jumped to 155*. It was appearing to go too fast so I turned down the heat a bit (15*). Instead of plateauing it dropped another 10* to 144*. :scratch: Now its jut budging and has plateaued there for 30-45 mins.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    This is a new one. Making Poor Mans Burnt Ends. It uses a chuck roast instead of brisket. After a couple hours it jumped to 155*. It was appearing to go too fast so I turned down the heat a bit (15*). Instead of plateauing it dropped another 10* to 144*. :scratch: Now its jut budging and has plateaued there for 30-45 mins.
    You've encountered the stall

Mitch B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2010
    indiana
    Finally got around to making shotgun shells and pig shots…fingers crossed!!

c9b3a6719afa564fa1320b146031211d.jpg

They did not disappoint! I left some without sauce but after a taste test I ended up covering the rest!

7db3d61c09ef8dd814db0c8c77de27fe.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Going to throw some burgers and dogs on the grill this evening. Nothing too fancy but if you haven't tried the ground ribeye burgers from Maddie Moo's meat locker do yourself a favor and try to find them locally. Hands down the best pre made patties you can get, anyone who wanders into the scent cone is going to think you've got steaks on. Kevin (the owner) provides the ribeyes for the state fair ribeye sandwich booth and all of the trimmings go into these patties. Trimmings from rib roasts. Ground and pressed into patties. You just can't beat em.

Anyway, I decided to put some jalapeño poppers on before the meat. I've never been a fan of bacon wrapped much of anything because it always ends up having some soft/squishy/disgusting pieces of bacon under some of the crispy stuff. I decided to give just putting a slice on top to see how that turns out. The cream cheese/cheddar filling may just melt and eject it all off onto the grates but time till tell. I'll try to remember to post a pic after they're done. Planning to put them on the big green egg at 350*(ish) indirect until the bacon looks edible.

I also decided to leave them on the 1/4 sheet tray rather than trying to transfer them onto the grates. I'm interested to see how the part of the jalapeño that's touching the pan comes out after frying in the bacon fat. :cool:
    3rY3MtBh.jpg

Last edited:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I did manage to snag a pic before they vanished. The slice on top method worked well and while I would have preferred to let them go a bit longer I didn't want the cream cheese getting too browned. I'll likely stick with this method from now on unless something better comes along. They were gone pretty quick.
    vUWVf1Rh.jpg

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I did manage to snag a pic before they vanished. The slice on top method worked well and while I would have preferred to let them go a bit longer I didn't want the cream cheese getting too browned. I'll likely stick with this method from now on unless something better comes along. They were gone pretty quick.
    vUWVf1Rh.jpg
    My daughter crumbles up cooked bacon in the cream cheese, we could never get the bacon done to satisfaction either.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom