KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    To quote Kenny Loggins, "THIS IS IT!!" We are in the last week of conference committee activity for the session.

1-800-382-9467 to leave a message for your Senator.

First link below, find your Senator, click "send email" and you'll find the name and number of your Senator's Legislative Assistant. You might get voicemail or a person. Be polite, be professional, urge support of SB 209 (with House-passed HB 1077 language.)

Second link below is for Senate President Pro Tempore Bray. His Legislative Assistant (Kayla) is at 317-232-9416. Again polite, professional, "thank you for your support on SB 209 with House-passed HB 1077 language."

I think Senator Bray has "seen the light" on this issue. Calls of support also have the affect of letting him know we are paying attention.

https://www.indianasenaterepublicans.com/bray
    One more time...

JEBland

INGO's least subtle Alphabet agency taskforce spy
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    The party should take its own damn trash out. They know what we’re looking for, or we would be voting Democrat.
    No offense intended, but voting Democrat only worsens our situation for gun rights. It shifts the window of where we want policies to go in the wrong direction. Primaries and third parties that represent our views are a better bet. Even if the Republicans lose and a Democrat gets elected, they can at least see which platform their losing votes to. I don't think we should cut off our nose to spite our face.

tbhausen

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    No offense intended, but voting Democrat only worsens our situation for gun rights. It shifts the window of where we want policies to go in the wrong direction. Primaries and third parties that represent our views are a better bet. Even if the Republicans lose and a Democrat gets elected, they can at least see which platform their losing votes to. I don't think we should cut off our nose to spite our face.
    I neither said, nor meant to imply that I would vote Democrat. I will abstain, though, before I vote for a confirmed RINO just because there’s an “R” next to his or her name on the ballot.

tbhausen

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    No problem. I am just so disillusioned with the entire process. My prediction is that SB 209 will just fade away with the end of the session. Those oath-breakers with no balls and no conviction simply have too much power. Only we can solve that. Any of you oath-breaking, ball-less, conviction-less ones who I’m speaking about that lurk here, prove me wrong. I would be happy to be proven wrong.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    The strategy needs to be to keep our GOP majority, but scare the leadership by putting a few more dems in office for a couple of years.

What? BoR saying to vote Democrat? Let's be honest here: If you have a choice between Tim Lanane or Elizabeth Brown in the Senate for your district, when it comes to guns, what's the difference? Neither one is going to vote for your gun rights! Now, if you have a way to put another Jim Lucas or another Eric Koch in office, absolutely do so, and we don't put enough Dems in office to swing the chamber majority, of course, but I think that a few in Indianapolis have gotten FAR too comfortable with the GOP supermajority, and we need to shake them up, make them realize that we ARE a voting bloc and we will NOT keep voting them in.

And we need to keep our promise, too: Eric Holcomb is leaving office, never to return. Not as Senator, not as city council, not as a goat-humping dogcatcher, if I have anything at all to say about it.

In 2016, I was not sure about Trump. I didn't like his public personality, I didn't know what he'd do in office. But I knew that that election was either going to end with President Trump or a second officeholder named Clinton. The ONLY way to keep her from sitting at the Resolute Desk was to vote him in to do so instead. Any other vote would put her in as President. That option was not acceptable to me. I was wildly pleased with Mr. Trump's performance as President, and I still don't like his public personality, but I would happily vote him into office again. I tried, and given the chance, I will do so again.

Mr. Holcomb is not suited to public office. He actively fought against the will of the People, and against the rights of Hoosiers. He violated his oath, and I will not trust him in any way, ever again. If the only way to keep him out is to vote in a Dem, I will hold my nose and vote in a Dem. If there is another option, I will happily listen to it.

Because even if the choice is Beto O'Rourke vs. Eric Holcomb..... When it comes to the 2A, what is the real difference?

Holcomb can't skateboard.

Blessings,
    Bill

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    The strategy needs to be to keep our GOP majority, but scare the leadership by putting a few more dems in office for a couple of years.

What? BoR saying to vote Democrat? Let's be honest here: If you have a choice between Tim Lanane or Elizabeth Brown in the Senate for your district, when it comes to guns, what's the difference? Neither one is going to vote for your gun rights! Now, if you have a way to put another Jim Lucas or another Eric Koch in office, absolutely do so, and we don't put enough Dems in office to swing the chamber majority, of course, but I think that a few in Indianapolis have gotten FAR too comfortable with the GOP supermajority, and we need to shake them up, make them realize that we ARE a voting bloc and we will NOT keep voting them in.

And we need to keep our promise, too: Eric Holcomb is leaving office, never to return. Not as Senator, not as city council, not as a goat-humping dogcatcher, if I have anything at all to say about it.

In 2016, I was not sure about Trump. I didn't like his public personality, I didn't know what he'd do in office. But I knew that that election was either going to end with President Trump or a second officeholder named Clinton. The ONLY way to keep her from sitting at the Resolute Desk was to vote him in to do so instead. Any other vote would put her in as President. That option was not acceptable to me. I was wildly pleased with Mr. Trump's performance as President, and I still don't like his public personality, but I would happily vote him into office again. I tried, and given the chance, I will do so again.

Mr. Holcomb is not suited to public office. He actively fought against the will of the People, and against the rights of Hoosiers. He violated his oath, and I will not trust him in any way, ever again. If the only way to keep him out is to vote in a Dem, I will hold my nose and vote in a Dem. If there is another option, I will happily listen to it.

Because even if the choice is Beto O'Rourke vs. Eric Holcomb..... When it comes to the 2A, what is the real difference?

Holcomb can't skateboard.

Blessings,
    Bill
    This is pretty much how I see it. An Indiana republican that gets a seat to the US Senate will likely keep it as long as Indiana is a majority republican state. Holcomb as a senator would be there maybe for decades. I can see the argument for voting a "reasonable" democrat to office for one term to prevent a Holcomb republican for settling in, never to be voted back out.

Republicans seem to be more aggressive when they're building a majority than once they've gotten it. Short term pain for the chance of longer term gain.

Last edited:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    As long as we are invoking song titles I get the feeling SB 209 is “Slip Slidin’ Away”. I hope I’m wrong.
    Sadly, I think you are correct. I don't know why Koch has not called the conference committee back, nor sent the bill to Bray to be voted by the Senate. Unless he is waiting to the last moment to do so so they cannot have time to oppose it, I don't see logic in waiting. Bray is obviously against it, as is Holcomb, and neither wants a paper trail to prove that. They want to be able to say, "Gosh, the bill never arrived, we can't vote on or sign a bill that isn't there!" as if to say that had it arrived, they would have voted for it.

After the session ends, all that matters to them is what passed and what didn't, and the hows and whys don't figure in. People don't go back to research the hows and whys, they just look to see that "Mr. Bray did not vote against any gun bills this session" or "Gov. Holcomb did not veto any gun bills."

Maybe that needs to change, too.

Blessings,
    Bill

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    Sadly, I think you are correct. I don't know why Koch has not called the conference committee back, nor sent the bill to Bray to be voted by the Senate. Unless he is waiting to the last moment to do so so they cannot have time to oppose it, I don't see logic in waiting. Bray is obviously against it, as is Holcomb, and neither wants a paper trail to prove that. They want to be able to say, "Gosh, the bill never arrived, we can't vote on or sign a bill that isn't there!" as if to say that had it arrived, they would have voted for it.

After the session ends, all that matters to them is what passed and what didn't, and the hows and whys don't figure in. People don't go back to research the hows and whys, they just look to see that "Mr. Bray did not vote against any gun bills this session" or "Gov. Holcomb did not veto any gun bills."

Maybe that needs to change, too.

Blessings,
    Bill
    Agreed. Also, if it has to take a couple scalps in voting the bad 'R's out then maybe they'll get the message.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    This is pretty much how I see it. An Indiana republican that gets a seat to the US Senate will likely keep it as long as Indiana is a majority republican state. Holcomb as a senator would be there maybe for decades. I can see the argument for voting a "reasonable" democrat to office for one term to prevent a Holcomb republican for settling in, never to be voted back out.

Republicans seem to be more aggressive when they're building a majority than once they've gotten it. Short term pain for the chance of longer term gain.
    Lugar 2.0 is not a pleasant thought.

TylerPrime

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2022
    La Porte County
    https://www.thecentersquare.com/ind...6HRzgfIg_ntwh0QVEbkpwAr-OHMHfKTGNa2dd8kVKwjj0

Hoosier Gun Rights seems to think it'll go for a vote today.

EDIT: There has been a new development per HGR
    "
    UPDATE:
    The General Assembly has called an Audible!
    The Constitutional Carry language passed by the House in January is no longer in SB 209 and will instead be placed in HB 1296, per Capitol insiders.
    The bill is planned to be voted on by both the House and the Senate this afternoon as the General Assembly is aiming to end session for the year following today.
    "

jcj54

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    NE
    After last year's events there was much talk of voting Bray and Brown out. I do not live in either's district and thus cannot do so. Once again Brown has shown no regard for a constitutional right and many are saying "vote her out", but the deadline for the primary is long past.
    If there is to be a real effort to unseat RINOs it must be done well in advance of the primary deadline. Reacting to their actions at the moment is not as effective as planning their unsettling and carrying the plan out.
    Otherwise we will continually have the same issues.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    UPDATE:
    The General Assembly has called an Audible!
    The Constitutional Carry language passed by the House in January is no longer in SB 209 and will instead be placed in HB 1296, per Capitol insiders.
    The bill is planned to be voted on by both the House and the Senate this afternoon as the General Assembly is aiming to end session for the year following today.
    "
    Do you mean SB1296? (Since HB1077 has already passed, that is).

Random_71

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2021
    Fort Wayne
    As long as we are invoking song titles I get the feeling SB 209 is “Slip Slidin’ Away”. I hope I’m wrong.

Unfortunately I dont think it was ever intended to do anything else.
    It was a political move by Bray and others to cover thier own asses.
    I keep looking to see exactly what they have supposedly inserted in to 209 and by what can be found it, appears that nothing has. The only thing that appears to have changed is co-sponsors of the bill.

I'm fully convinced that this whole rigmarole was just them finding a way to kill it while keeping their hands looking clean.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom