KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Link to the Judiciary Committee is in the previous post. I've made the updates for the co-authors and a couple changes here, reads a little better I think.

Senator,

I am writing to urge your support of SB 14, Firearms Matters. This bill was authored by Senators Tomes, Brown, and Doriot. SB 14 is co-authored by Senators Baldwin, Houchin, Kruse, Freeman, Koch, and Niemeyer.

This bill codifies the lawful carry of handguns, and comes at a time when the essential right of self-defense has never been more important.

There are currently 21 States with permit-less/no license carry of handguns. Those who opposed such legislation predicted dire consequences, as they do for any bill remotely considered Pro-2nd Amendment and Pro-Article 1, Section 32 of the Indiana Constitution. Observation shows this is not the case, as does data from FBI Uniform Crime Reporting. Put simply: the law-abiding don’t commit crimes. Criminals commit crimes and are undeterred by licensing schemes.

SB 14 does not change the definition of “proper person” that currently exists, nor does it make it lawful to possess a firearm when an individual is currently a prohibited possessor. Despite the claims of those who oppose this legislation, SB 14 does absolutely nothing to make access to firearms by prohibited possessors easier.

Over the past decade Indiana has passed a number of Pro-2nd Amendment and Pro-Article 1, Section 32 bills into law. These include: the law forbidding the prohibition of firearms stored in vehicles in employer’s parking lots (2010), the firearms law preemption statute (2011), the strengthening of the language and due process protections under the “Laird Law”, “Civil Immunity”, and “Church Carry” (2019). Again, the dire consequences (ranging from vigilantism to fratricide in churches) predicted by those who oppose any law that supports the Right to Keep and Bear Arms simply did not happen.

Of the 21 States with permit-less carry of handguns, 20 previously had handgun licensing requirements. Zero States have reinstated the licensing requirement.

I’m sure I can count on your support with this vital legislation.

Thank you,

Name

Address

Phone Number

Email

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    The Senate finally got their committees up. Judiciary Committee looks a lot like last year, unfortunately it has the same Chair who wouldn't schedule ConC a hearing last year. I have to say a big flag went up for me last year when I saw Eric Koch (current ranking member) was replaced by someone not endorsed by NRA-ILA.

The other R's: I have no issues. Aaron Freeman is on the committee and is as solid of a 2A supporter as we have. If ConC gets a hearing? It'll pass in the committee.

The D's are three antis. Lonnie Randolph is a disgusting excuse for a human being and completely devoid of any respectable characteristics. Tim Lanane is a waste of time. And the third? Senator Greg "Obtuse" Taylor.

Note to self: ask NRA-ILA POC why Senator Obtuse is an NRA-ILA "D" and not an "F" like the other two on this committee.

If SB 14 gets a vote on Wednesday it will pass 7-4 or 8-3.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    But wait, there's more!

SB 143 (Self Defense, makes pointing a firearm in a reasonable force situation that doesn't rise to deadly force, NOT a felony) is up in the Corrections and Criminal Law Committee on Tuesday at 0900. Straight up, I can't be there on a Tuesday coming off a holiday at 0900. This sucks because I got 5 minutes of material on it. Hell, make it 0900 Wednesday the 19th, I have that entire day projected as annual leave. I'll spend the whole damn day there. But NNNNOOOOOOO!! OK, rant over.

This is really close to HB 1114 (Self Defense by Jim Lucas) in the House. It fixes a long-standing problem created by two judges 20 years ago.

Bumping the draft email next post.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    SB 143 draft email:

Senator,

I am writing to encourage your support of SB 143, Self Defense. Authored by Senators Baldwin, Michael Young, and Garten, this bill corrects a longstanding problem that resulted from an Indiana Appeals Court decision.

SB 143 does not change when reasonable use of force includes deadly force. Likewise, SB 143 does not make it legal to point a firearm at someone without the imminent threat of unlawful force. What SB 143 does do is accurately define deadly force.

Over 20 years ago, the Indiana Appeals Court ruled in Nantz v State that the act of pointing a firearm was deadly force. Inference and possibility (the basis of the Nantz decision) are not the same as deadly force by any stretch of the imagination. SB 143 simply specifies that pointing a firearm is reasonable force in a self-defense or arrest situation, correcting over 20 years of judicial overreach.

SB 143 is a very short bill, changing very little in current Indiana Code. Better defining reasonable force will be of great help to Hoosiers in self-defense situations, and afterwards. I’m sure I can count on your support with this important legislation.

Thank you,

Name

Address

Phone Number

Email

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Link to the Judiciary Committee is in the previous post. I've made the updates for the co-authors and a couple changes here, reads a little better I think.

Senator,

I am writing to urge your support of SB 14, Firearms Matters. This bill was authored by Senators Tomes, Brown, and Doriot. SB 14 is co-authored by Senators Baldwin, Houchin, Kruse, Freeman, Koch, and Niemeyer.

This bill codifies the lawful carry of handguns, and comes at a time when the essential right of self-defense has never been more important.

There are currently 21 States with permit-less/no license carry of handguns. Those who opposed such legislation predicted dire consequences, as they do for any bill remotely considered Pro-2nd Amendment and Pro-Article 1, Section 32 of the Indiana Constitution. Observation shows this is not the case, as does data from FBI Uniform Crime Reporting. Put simply: the law-abiding don’t commit crimes. Criminals commit crimes and are undeterred by licensing schemes.

SB 14 does not change the definition of “proper person” that currently exists, nor does it make it lawful to possess a firearm when an individual is currently a prohibited possessor. Despite the claims of those who oppose this legislation, SB 14 does absolutely nothing to make access to firearms by prohibited possessors easier.

Over the past decade Indiana has passed a number of Pro-2nd Amendment and Pro-Article 1, Section 32 bills into law. These include: the law forbidding the prohibition of firearms stored in vehicles in employer’s parking lots (2010), the firearms law preemption statute (2011), the strengthening of the language and due process protections under the “Laird Law”, “Civil Immunity”, and “Church Carry” (2019). Again, the dire consequences (ranging from vigilantism to fratricide in churches) predicted by those who oppose any law that supports the Right to Keep and Bear Arms simply did not happen.

Of the 21 States with permit-less carry of handguns, 20 previously had handgun licensing requirements. Zero States have reinstated the licensing requirement.

I’m sure I can count on your support with this vital legislation.

Thank you,

Name

Address

Phone Number

Email
    Bumping the draft email! Operation Fill Their Inboxes II (Electric Boogaloo) is underway. Link to Judiciary Committee is below.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Holcomb is irrelevant. His veto could just be overturned by a majority.
    That's why I couldn't see him vetoing, but I COULD see some of our legislators being "squishy" and I could see our governor being told that he is considered by the 2A proponents to be "irrelevant"....Perhaps not the politest phrasing to state openly. ;)

With regard to this particular decision, on this specific subject, I think that if the bill gets to his desk, he will sign or ignore it. To do otherwise would jeopardize any future run for office, even with a metric crap ton of dirty Soros money behind him.

That's my opinion.

Blessings,
    Bill

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    That's why I couldn't see him vetoing, but I COULD see some of our legislators being "squishy" and I could see our governor being told that he is considered by the 2A proponents to be "irrelevant"....Perhaps not the politest phrasing to state openly. ;)

With regard to this particular decision, on this specific subject, I think that if the bill gets to his desk, he will sign or ignore it. To do otherwise would jeopardize any future run for office, even with a metric crap ton of dirty Soros money behind him.

That's my opinion.

Blessings,
    Bill
    Agreed. Probably ignore it.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    He cannot run again, so it doesn't really matter now.
    He can't run again (dramatic pause...) for Governor. Rumor has it Braun will run for Gov, then Eric will run for US Senate. As @tbhausen put it, ignoring and a veto is same/same to him as a voter. My money is on there are polls leaning that way too.

All politics are political.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Corrections and Criminal Law committee correspondence done.

KellyinAvon, and all who are able to be at the meetings, THANK YOU!!!
    Thanks JW. It is definitely a bill to support. I wish they had Wednesday hearings instead of Tuesday.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    From my perspective as a voter, ignoring it will carry the same consequences as vetoing it.
    That’s certainly your right and I wouldn’t try to change your mind. For me, and per the state Constitution, an “ignore” is the same as a signature in that the bill becomes law.

Especially given that when he runs for Congress, our choice might come down to a known squish Republican or a (known or unknown) Democrat… let’s paint this hypothetical D as a Beto O’Rourke clone when it comes to guns.

Me, I’d rather vote “neither” and leave the seat open, but given that one of them will win and the D has strong support from Bloomington, Indy, and Da Region, I’d rather have someone lukewarm on guns then an anti…. Not to mention the leadership that the make-up of the two Houses decides.

Your mileage may vary.

Blessings,
    Bill

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    He can't run again (dramatic pause...) for Governor. Rumor has it Braun will run for Gov, then Eric will run for US Senate. As @tbhausen put it, ignoring and a veto is same/same to him as a voter. My money is on there are polls leaning that way too.

All politics are political.
    Ah, well he won't get my vote for any office. His actions on this bill won't change that either way.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom