• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Out with my dad again hoping we can seal the deal tonight weather not great but makes for a comfy sit.

Nothing. (Dad had a frog in his throat couldn’t stop hacking was hoping for a handicapped deer no such luck) Except exactly 10,000 squirrels. If I ever get my oldest and my dad a deer it will then be squirrel thinning time.

Last edited:

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    Moved spots after 4 sits with no sightings. Did see one doe this afternoon that never came my way. On the walk back in I bumped one about 20 yards from my last setup, of course.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 7, 2022
    Valparaiso
    Has/does anyone used Nosler Ballistic Tips before? I loaded some 120 gr BTs for my 6.5 Grendel to try something new during deer season this year, and had an odd experience that occurred over the weekend.

On Saturday, I shot a doe at around 80 yards that was quartering towards me and dropped her in her tracks. Bullet did a complete pass-through, and upon field dressing, I could see that the heart was completely destroyed. Not much blood from the exit wound, but the bullet seemed to have done its job well.

The next morning, I shot a small-racked buck that came in nearly the same shooting lane, only he was around 50 yards away and standing broadside. I aimed behind his shoulder and he dropped instantly, but I could see that he was trying to crawl away with his front hoofs. There was brush in the way and I couldn't fire another shot, so I climbed down from my stand to try to get a better angle on him. Once I got to about 30 yards away from him, he stood up and bolted, running probably 400 yards through adjacent farmer's fields only stopping once briefly. Once he was out of my sight, I heard two close shots from that direction seconds later, so I was confident that someone else got him. I checked the area where I hit him and saw some blood on the ground. Not a lot, but a decent amount. It sucked, and I hated to see a wounded animal get away.

I shoot a lot more than I hunt, and I can confidently say that everything about the shot felt great. It's always a possibility that I somehow missed the vitals, it just seems so unlikely is all. Prior to this, I've never had a deer make it more than 30 yards after being hit with a classic cup-and-core bullet or even a slug. All I can think is the bullet didn't expand right or didn't penetrate well or something like that. I've also heard that a lack of a blood trail is common with plastic-tipped bullets. Anyway, I think this is the last time I use those bullets. Anyone have a similar experience?

Last edited:

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Has/does anyone used Nosler Ballistic Tips before? I loaded some 120 gr BTs for my 6.5 Grendel to try something new during deer season this year, and had an odd experience that occurred over the weekend.

On Saturday, I shot a doe at around 80 yards that was quartering towards me and dropped her in her tracks. Bullet did a complete pass-through, and upon field dressing, I could see that the heart was completely destroyed. Not much blood from the exit wound, but the bullet seemed to have done its job well.

The next morning, I shot a small-racked buck that came in nearly the same shooting lane, only he was around 50 yards away and standing broadside. I aimed behind his shoulder and he dropped instantly, but I could see that he was trying to crawl away with his front hoofs. There was brush in the way and I couldn't fire another shot, so I climbed down from my stand to try to get a better angle on him. Once I got to about 30 yards away from him, he stood up and bolted, running probably 400 yards through adjacent farmer's fields only stopping once briefly. Once he was out of my sight, I heard two close shots from that direction seconds later, so I was confident that someone else got him. I checked the area where I hit him and saw some blood on the ground. Not a lot, but a decent amount. It sucked, and I hated to see a wounded animal get away.

I shoot a lot more than I hunt, and I can confidently say that everything about the shot felt great. It's always a possibility that I somehow missed the vitals, it just seems so unlikely is all. Prior to this, I've never had a deer make it more than 30 yards after being hit with a classic cup-and-core bullet or even a slug. All I can think is the bullet didn't expand right or didn't penetrate well or something like that. I've also heard that a lack of a blood trail is common with plastic-tipped bullets. Anyway, I think this is the last time I use those bullets. Anyone have a similar experience?
    If they're still moving, do not hesitate. Shoot them again. Ballistic tips are usually recommended for varmint hunting and on contact with bone may splatter and not finish the job on larger critters. They also may not exit and, consequently, may leave a poor blood trail.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    If they're still moving, do not hesitate. Shoot them again. Ballistic tips are usually recommended for varmint hunting and on contact with bone may splatter and not finish the job on larger critters. They also may not exit and, consequently, may leave a poor blood trail.
    And fragments in the meat

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    There are a ton of the plastic tip hunting rounds I have feeding issues with them often

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 7, 2022
    Valparaiso
    Yeah, hindsight is always 20/20. Nosler even recommends them for deer, antelope, and hogs.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I dropped my buck this year with a BT in .270. They have never failed me.
    I have also shot a lot of deer through the heart with several different firearms and had sparse blood trails.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Tempted to toss it in for the season. Haven't seem hardly anything in person. No deer on camera for over a week. No deer in daylight for a couple weeks. Loosing motivation.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Tempted to toss it in for the season. Haven't seem hardly anything in person. No deer on camera for over a week. No deer in daylight for a couple weeks. Loosing motivation.
    Give it a rest until muzzleloader. Bucks can wander in whenever. Enjoy the time out.

ISP 5353

Master
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    Putnam County
    I have had good luck with the tipped bullets in the Federal Ascent ammo. It dropped a big doe within 20 yards after a 175 yard shot. Very accurate ammo out of at least two of my rifles. I also shot a decent buck with a 325gr tipped Hornady FTX in 45-70. It did not take a step after impact.

JimH

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008

I'd say there is a 99% chance you just clipped the top of the spine-stunning him for a bit. Been there done that!

Top Bottom