Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    What are they responding to?
    We use roadkill deer for bait. The yotes at my cousin's farm completely demolished the one we put there in less than 72 hours...gone completely. Not a trace left behind and over 13,000 photos on my trail camera documented the whole thing. When I put the sd card in to view it, I thought that the picture count had to be wrong since the camera was only out for four days.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Here's a weird one for you...

A guy shot a deer during deer season. In the two hours it took him to find the deer, coyotes had demolished the whole back end. He set a full sized hog less than 50 yards from where he found the deer. Two weeks later, it hasn't been touched.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine

A guy shot a deer during deer season. In the two hours it took him to find the deer, coyotes had demolished the whole back end. He set a full sized hog less than 50 yards from where he found the deer. Two weeks later, it hasn't been touched.
    My cousin had a steer die last year. Hubby brought it home and put it out for bait. They never touched it. Cut it open...still no takers. Hawks, buzzards, crows, nothing. Ended up burying it. Put a deer out about 20 feet
    from the steer and they demolished it.

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven

When the wild hogs were abundant, we'd shoot a stinking boar that we would let lay. Coyotes wouldn't touch them.

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    Somebody resurrected a thread from 2004 on predator masters forum. Two thought processes on coyotes not eating dead domestic livestock, both have to do with antibiotics. 1) The screaming shits from eating antibiotic tainted meat. 2) The smell of antibiotics in the meat.
    I found it an interesting read.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I'm not sure. One of the places I hunt is a hog farm. The farmer has problems with coyotes dragging dead hogs off the compost pile and spreading them all over.

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    But we’re the hogs doctored? That was one of comments there. Natural cause versus doctored. Lightning struck cows were gone quickly. Sick cows that had been given antibiotics were seldom touched.
    They even got into discussing vultures and how they can smell. Who knew?! Lol

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    What if you kill a yote and let it lay there , will they eat the yote ?
    I've gone back a few times a couple days after killing one. Sometimes they're gone, nothing left but a bunch of fur. Sometimes they'd still be mostly there but something had obviously been munching. Have thought about putting a camera on one but quite often the only reason I checked the carcass was simply because I happened to be in the area.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I have heard that coyotes and other animals won't eat a sick animal or one that died of sickness.

I left a few mange infested coyotes lay in a field and absolutely nothing touched them.

BoilerWes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Pendleton
    What are they responding to?

Report from this morning. Seems like coyote type vocals were tops. Used a male/female interrogation that brought one in. Breeding type sounds…fights, chirps we’re responsive. Nothing on distress…except the red fox distress sound on the Revolt.

Saw two, no shots. Called some thicker/brushy type sets…neither came charging in. My battery died on the speaker during the second set…coyote was about 100 yards out. Lip squeaks could not entice him any closer.

Top Bottom