• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pappyon

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 17, 2020
    the night vision they have out is so so. Unless you spend 20 grand. But thermal imaging is the way to go. 500 or 600 yds it picks up things as small as a rat. You can distinguish a rabbit easily. Then a long range rigle (500) yds on a tripod. another for 300 and under. Having bimoculars that are thermal equipped with with a very good rangefinder is imperitive. costs a lot for sure. But it is the best way to ensure dead yotes.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I have no way of rangefinding, and it has cost me a lot of dogs. Its not big deal when I hunt familiar ground, but when I go to unknown areas (most of the hunts) its a big deal.

I was happy to hear my go to thermal company (bering) is coming out with a couple LRF versions of their scopes in the fall.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    One trick to use is thermal shading. With the Super Hogster at 2.9 native magnification, if you can see different shades on a coyote, then it's within 300 yards.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo

Here's a better explanation...

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    That's so sad...

How does he like his thermal?

We're at 25 now.
    He's learning to use it. He was frustrated at first...went out on a night that was drizzly and it apparently doesn't work well in high humidity.

Between the trip to Washington State in late October and covid, he got a late start on his hunting this year.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Yeah. All thermal scopes struggle with high humidity. Since thermal "reads" difference in temperature, rain and humidity will really affect thermal since it brings all temperatures closer in different objects.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Yeah. All thermal scopes struggle with high humidity. Since thermal "reads" difference in temperature, rain and humidity will really affect thermal since it brings all temperatures closer in different objects.
    He has it on a rifle he recently bought as well so he had to get it zeroed in. Picked up a pop up ground blind that was delivered yesterday so he has more options for where to sit.

Top Bottom