• ...and so much more!
  • rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Fish filet supply threatened

Shipments of these products between two US ports have to use US ships. Suddenly it’s being enforced to the tune of $350M in fines issued. Now it’s all being held up in warehouses while the legal battle is fought. Why did the government pick now as the time to get serious about this? Republican governor asking Biden for assistance as it is damaging the economy.
    That story is very poorly worded and doesn’t do a good job of explaining the issue.

if I understand correctly, US boats catch the fish, offload them in Canada who then trucks and rails them to the US where they are being put on another ship to go to Massachusetts?

this supply chain and all these transportation methods make perfect sense.

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    To make the fish thing even more confusing they are caught in Alaska and then end up in cold storage on the east side of the continent in New Brunswick Canada :scratch:

Why not ship them to Seattle on American ships? Sounds like they have been spending millions to avoid the pennies extra per pound to ship them to the west coast of the US on American ships.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    To make the fish thing even more confusing they are caught in Alaska and then end up in cold storage on the east side of the continent in New Brunswick Canada :scratch:

Why not ship them to Seattle on American ships? Sounds like they have been spending millions to avoid the pennies extra per pound to ship them to the west coast of the US on American ships.

I'm guessing that using foreign flagged ships to sail around north of Canada is much cheaper than using truck/train to ship from the west coast to the east coast. And probably a good bit cheaper than using American flagged ships to do the same and bring it straight into a US port on the east coast. Look up "Flags of Convenience"
    The quote about “unexpected” makes me think they’ve been doing it a certain way and now it’s suddenly a problem.
    Another article said this has been done since 2000, so 20ish years. But they changed the railroad ride from 20 miles to 100 ft in 2012.

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I'm guessing that using foreign flagged ships to sail around north of Canada is much cheaper than using truck/train to ship from the west coast to the east coast. And probably a good bit cheaper than using American flagged ships to do the same and bring it straight into a US port on the east coast. Look up "Flags of Convenience"

Another article said this has been done since 2000, so 20ish years. But they changed the railroad ride from 20 miles to 100 ft in 2012.
    Ya that’s called an abusive tax shelter and is illegal. Someone should have stopped this years ago. This company is giving away jobs that by law have to be done by American companies to foreigners, not cool then and not cool now.

Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold
    Looks like the fedgov is admitting that heating cost are out of control.
    Lets go Brandon!

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Ya that’s called an abusive tax shelter and is illegal. Someone should have stopped this years ago. This company is giving away jobs that by law have to be done by American companies to foreigners, not cool then and not cool now.
    Using a legal exemption to avoid paying taxes is illegal? And it wouldn't surprise me if quite a few of the jobs that by law have to be done by American companies, are in fact being done by American companies. Just that their ships are flagged under another country. There are reasons why Panama has the largest flagged ship registry in the world, larger than the US and China combined.

The legislature is the one that put in the exemption if the goods are transported by rail in Canada that it doesn't have to be transported by US flagged ships. Perhaps they should change it, rather than then trying to fine companies for adhering to the law. Heck when this arrangement was put into place the govt signed off on it, which is a requirement of the exemption.
    Lets go Brandon!

Glad we had a stick burner installed when we had the house redone a little while back. Location of it is far from the best, but better than nothing. Wouldn't mind seeing about installing an outdoor wood fired boiler though.

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Using a legal exemption to avoid paying taxes is illegal?
    A scheme meant solely to avoid taxes without adding value to goods is an illegal tax shelter yes.

what value does putting the fish on a 100 foot railroad add to the goods? by using a foreign flagged vessel instead of a domestic one they are dodging all kinds of taxes that American ship/companies pay to Uncle Sam.

so yes this is an illegal tax shelter. I always ask myself “ as a non privileged middle class citizen, if I did X action would I be locked up or fined for it?” The answer here is a resounding “yes, if my small business did something like this the IRS would probably send the swat team”.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Lets go Brandon!

I'm not sure Andrea has a good handle on oil & gas. Alberta tar sands have little to do with increasing demands for natural gas this winter or the shortfall in coal supplies in China.

But, if it fits the confirmation bias, I guess that doesn't matter......

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    A scheme meant solely to avoid taxes without adding value to goods is an illegal tax shelter yes.

what value does putting the fish on a 100 foot railroad add to the goods? by using a foreign flagged vessel instead of a domestic one they are dodging all kinds of taxes that American ship/companies pay to Uncle Sam.

so yes this is an illegal tax shelter. I always ask myself “ as a non privileged middle class citizen, if I did X action would I be locked up or fined for it?” The answer here is a resounding “yes, if my small business did something like this the IRS would probably send the swat team”.
    47bc11a2b783c0e533af8ababc1a5980.gif

Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold
    I'm not sure Andrea has a good handle on oil & gas. Alberta tar sands have little to do with increasing demands for natural gas this winter or the shortfall in coal supplies in China.

But, if it fits the confirmation bias, I guess that doesn't matter......
    Well I guess your bias is the gold standard here on INGO.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

Dang, I've known people who got legally married simply for the tax break. Should they be punished? After all what value did that piece of paper add to their relationship?

I've also known small businesses to lease/purchase vehicles rather than the owners buying them personally. Business deduction to lower taxes. Should they be penalized?

And once again the required govt agencies signed off on it. So now they get to say no? How do you feel about it when BATFECEs does the same?

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Well I guess your bias is the gold standard here on INGO.
    I won't say I'm in support of higher fuel costs for my home. Nope.

But that doesn't mean Andrea has a clue how Keystone affects worldwide oil consumption in winter 2021. Even the Kochs have pretty much pulled out of Alberta.

Yelling about Keystone is a canard.

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    More on the California ports throughput problem...

The trucking issue with California LA ports, ie the Port of Los Angeles (POLA) and the Port of Long Beach (POLB), is that all semi tractors have to be current with new California emissions standards. As a consequence, that mean trucks cannot be older than 3 years if they are to pick up or deliver containers at those ports. This issue wipes out approximately half of the fleet trucks used to move containers in/out of the port. Operating the port 24/7 will not cure the issue, because all it does is pile up more containers that sit idle as they await a limited number of trucks to pick them up. THIS is the central issue.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Like many here have stated, there are many factors going on. I think it’s a “perfect storm” of bad events that’s causing where we are today, and I expect 2022 to be far worse.

The rolling blackouts in China are messing up their production in major ways. Like it or not our economy depends a lot on what they can produce. I don't think this mess is a Chineese power play, I think they're just as screwed up as we and are trying to make the best of it. The ships not getting through the ports has been a nightmare. I heard where when a ship is late it takes at least a year for all the ripple effects to work themselves out. I don't see it getting any better in what's left of this year.

Personally, we’ve had a refrigerator at the house that’s barely worked for a couple of months now. When it first broke, we looked for a replacement. At the time the options we could get our hands on started at $1,500. I just wanted something simple, a box that stays cold, but many now are getting so wrapped up in tv screens and other tech crap that eventually breaks that the prices just keep creeping up through the ceiling. I doubt the $1,500 refrigerators are even still around and I'll be looking at $2k or more when it finally become time.

Several people I know including myself have refinanced homes are significantly lower interest rates. Right now if you’re paying over 3% you’re burning your own money. That can’t go on for forever, and now is a great time to lock in fixed rate loans.

The Covid restrictions are a bubble that needs to pop. It’s not even the people being fired for refusing to get the shot, it’s the ripple effects if people being tired of the delays, restrictions and other silly games we’re all being forced to play to accommodate snowflakes. People have had it. In the last month and a half I've been to Anchorage, Palmer, Wasilla, Sedona, Flagstaff, and Phoenix. In all that traveling there was one store (REI) that required masks and one restaurant that asked us to wear a mask before we were seated and we could take them off. Other that those two places and the airports obviously everyone else just has a sign on the door for compliance but otherwise is going about life as normal B.C. (before covid).

My primary concerns that drove me to prepping years ago have been and still are financial collapse. I think we’re getting closer to that and I don’t see a way out of this mess where we’re still using the same US Dollar that we are currently using today. There’s going to be a need for stable currency and when the value of everything resets I believe that silver will have an incredible amount of purchasing power in whatever the new currency we end up with.

Once/if we get through this I think people are going to shift their focus from cheap goods that are easily replaced (like my old fridge) if they break to quality goods that they can count on. I also think more entrepreneurs are going to see opportunities that are missing from our local economies supply chain and start to fill in the cracks of our nations weak points.

In the mean time, we’ve been making some serious changes to how we do things at our house and after all the years I’ve been doing this my spouse has woken up to see it and is fully on board. Our focus is going to be to shift to additional canned foods and silver as we can afford.

This bubble we're in is different than others in the past where I've never seen or heard of being we are so internationally entwined with other nations. Hard times have just begun and it won't be fixed at the ballot box next Nov. One side has already shown they can make an election turn out the way they'd like. Buckle up everyone, we're in for a wile ride ahead.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I never cease to be surprised by the randomness of items that are suddenly in short supply.

It's been 3 weeks since I've been able to buy my preferred flavor and brand of yogurt.

My neighbor has been waiting 6 months for an overhead door for a new pole barn he had built.

Top Bottom