• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I saw some head honcho for a national shoe store chain talking about their problems getting shoes. It seems he had a number of containers on one ship that sat in the ocean hot damp air for an extra 100 days. Once the shoes got to the main warehouse, the boxes were wet and the shoes were moldy. The whole order had to be destroyed. Clothes would be subject to that kind of loss. Not to mention, all the loading, trucking, warehouse and other handling is all wasted.
    When covid started I had the wife buy extra sets of shoes for us both.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    We are picking up production on a couple parts at work. We were importing from China with shipping costs of $8000 per container now its $25000 ish and stuck at a coast. We were able to get parts from Korea for a little more production cost but a lot cheaper shipping but we cant get those in now either. But all the workforce issues are screwing us over. We are working the few guys we have to death on parts that we normally just import. And now the raw material is dwindling so we have that chaos to look forward to. Really strange times.

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    Traded our RV camper on a new one a few weeks ago. Got a letter from the manufacturer that the propane regulator has a recall (made in china) but they do not have any to replace them with. Send in the SN of yours and they will determine if it is being recalled and get back with you when they get more in stock.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    We are working the few guys we have to death on parts that we normally just import.

This is exactly what's happening in my industry. Those of us who are showing up every day haven't seen a break in some time. Many people here are already over 3,000 hours for the year. Worst part of all this is that the companies and all these jobs are getting hit with so many extra costs that companies are barely staying in the positive numbers for the year. I'm part of a business group of over 60 different companies in different industries and everyone is dealing with the same issues.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Closing manufacturing in America and shipping it overseas, putting people out of work so the company can make a few percentage points more on the bottom line...
    Everything being made in china has finally come home to roost.
    All the things you mentioned are a by product of the fiat US dollar being the world's reserve currency. Economist Robert Triffin wrote about it in the 1950-60s. The Triffin Dilemma.

The Word demands dollars for trade. The US supplies said dollars and can run trade deficits because we trade newly created dollars for actual goods and services. the demand for dollars increases the price for dollars. This means that US citizens live an outsized lifestyle because they live and work under a dollar denominated system.

Imported goods seem relatively cheap. Domestically made goods become relatively expensive. manufacturing necessarily moves off shore or else goes bankrupt. It has zero to do with American workers or businesses and everything to do with the dollar as reserve currency.

That status will end at some point and standard of living in the USA will collapse. But manufacturing and other jobs will return as will all those trillions of dollars that were created driving inflation to heights never seen before in the USA. It's going to be bad but we don't know when.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    All the things you mentioned are a by product of the fiat US dollar being the world's reserve currency. Economist Robert Triffin wrote about it in the 1950-60s. The Triffin Dilemma.

The Word demands dollars for trade. The US supplies said dollars and can run trade deficits because we trade newly created dollars for actual goods and services. the demand for dollars increases the price for dollars. This means that US citizens live an outsized lifestyle because they live and work under a dollar denominated system.

Imported goods seem relatively cheap. Domestically made goods become relatively expensive. manufacturing necessarily moves off shore or else goes bankrupt. It has zero to do with American workers or businesses and everything to do with the dollar as reserve currency.

That status will end at some point and standard of living in the USA will collapse. But manufacturing and other jobs will return as will all those trillions of dollars that were created driving inflation to heights never seen before in the USA. It's going to be bad but we don't know when.

Serious question: Why are some currencies stronger than the USD? I understand the argument about the Triffin Dilemma and it makes sense in most ways. People a lot more educated on the matter and smarter than me buy into it so I get that I'm probably missing something. Some of the currencies are pegged to the USD, but not all. I also understand that exchange rate isn't the entire argument for purchasing power, so just because the Euro or whatever trades at a premium doesn't mean you can buy as much with it. I don't get the exceptions, like why the pre-Euro Cypriot Pound was so strong.

Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Bread next?

Looks like I may have picked a good time to cut back on carbs. :(

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Bread next?

Well, a news article that ends with wheat prices forecasting the end of days may be a bit...hyperbolic.

But wheat prices are definitely up. The good news is in the US it won't hit us that hard since we don't need container ships to get wheat to millers or consumers. The log jam of shipping will actually help US consumers in this instance, since wheat that can't get to foreign markets will remain in domestic markets regardless of higher offered prices abroad. Russia should be fine for the same reasons plus their protectionist system that is now discouraging export in favor of domestic markets.

Developed nations won't really notice at the grocery store level. Even if wheat prices double, a $2 loaf of bread goes to $2.20 if every cent of increased cost can be passed to the customer.

Where it's going to suck the most is where it always sucks to some degree. Poor nations with high population densities that rely on imports to survive and who have weak currencies.

Top Bottom