• Status
    Not open for further replies.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    What a weekend. It's nice to come back to work and relax.:rolleyes:

Found out Thursday we were getting a surprise visit from the wife's Kentucky hillbilly family and need to feed them. Cooked a pair of ten pound butts overnight. Made armadillo eggs, beans, queso, and mac-cheese on Friday, after I got home from helping to saw 2500 pounds of smoked pork loins into 2900 pork chops for a fundraiser...

tPFowzhl.jpg

BUzzQW3l.jpg

Saturday from 6-3 we cooked those 2900 chops...

FB1asLQl.jpg

After a shower with Dawn dish soap and a quick nap, I had to get 6 more butts cooking. Two for a wedding rehearsal dinner on Sunday and 4 for a funeral dinner today.

Butts are pretty forgiving. Fat up. Fat down. Wrap. No wrap. You can get good results however you choose to do it.

The 6 Saturday night-Sunday morning were cooked with the fat cap scored and placed down. 225 straight through, no wrap. Three were done at 10AM. The other three took an extra hour to probe tender. All rested in a cooler, in a foil pan, covered with two layers of foil, and a bath towel until 2:30. If I'm doing one or two, I pull them by hand. Any more than that, I break out the claw. Did all six and cleaned up in under 15 minutes...

H0rpg2El.jpg

rmtFvhml.jpg

IH7TrkXl.jpg

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    What a weekend. It's nice to come back to work and relax.:rolleyes:

Found out Thursday we were getting a surprise visit from the wife's Kentucky hillbilly family and need to feed them. Cooked a pair of ten pound butts overnight. Made armadillo eggs, beans, queso, and mac-cheese on Friday, after I got home from helping to saw 2500 pounds of smoked pork loins into 2900 pork chops for a fundraiser...

tPFowzhl.jpg

BUzzQW3l.jpg

Saturday from 6-3 we cooked those 2900 chops...

FB1asLQl.jpg

After a shower with Dawn dish soap and a quick nap, I had to get 6 more butts cooking. Two for a wedding rehearsal dinner on Sunday and 4 for a funeral dinner today.

Butts are pretty forgiving. Fat up. Fat down. Wrap. No wrap. You can get good results however you choose to do it.

The 6 Saturday night-Sunday morning were cooked with the fat cap scored and placed down. 225 straight through, no wrap. Three were done at 10AM. The other three took an extra hour to probe tender. All rested in a cooler, in a foil pan, covered with two layers of foil, and a bath towel until 2:30. If I'm doing one or two, I pull them by hand. Any more than that, I break out the claw. Did all six and cleaned up in under 15 minutes...

H0rpg2El.jpg

rmtFvhml.jpg

IH7TrkXl.jpg
    You sir, are the manliest of men. Man cards should have to have your approval before being distributed.

That looks great man. Hope everything was tender, feeding folks from Kentucky they don’t have many teeth to chew ;)

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    You sir, are the manliest of men. Man cards should have to have your approval before being distributed.

That looks great man. Hope everything was tender, feeding folks from Kentucky they don’t have many teeth to chew ;)
    Just so you know my teeth are in perfect condition.

It's not hard when you only have the 3.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Kroger has pork butt on sale. Picked up a couple more, got 5 in the freezer now. Also had sirloin on sale, and other random stuff. Picked up some sirloins, been marinading waiting for the grill... pooring rain so gonna cook inside. :(

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    It was too wet and cold to grill anything yesterday. Found some fresh halibut at the store, pan seared it and topped it off with some capers in a lemon sauce. All of this impromptu cooking know how came courtesy of Google.

435E5719-C759-45D0-B1A7-A5A08B45B66E_1_105_c.jpeg

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    OK INGO grillmasters, tryin' not to make this weird or nothing, but let's get your opinions.
    For that last decade or so, I've made it a point to make my neices' Holloween trick-or- treat knock on my door as weird as possible. In the past, I've "treated" her to such items as a large ribeye roast and extra large Kentucky cured Virginia ham, as well as well as a full wheel of Colby cheese and an Institutional size can of Tapioca pudding ect, ect.
    This being her last year for trick-or treating (12 years old), I wanted to do something really special. I "treated" her a roll of paper towels, some pickled herring, a can of sweet corn and a 37# suckling pig. Her attempt to make it a special Holloween for me, was to dress up like me (honestly, I don't see it), anyway, we had a great time laughing like the insane.
    Now, we'd like input from the elite sultans of the hardwoods here at INGO on the best way to prepare this moderate sized beast (the pig, not me).
    We have about everything at our disposal in regards to cooking it, just want some suggestions for taking it over the top for a special young lady's Holloween Capture+_2021-10-31-17-22-10.png that she'll never forget.
    Thanks INGO!

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    Spit roast it if possible.

Stuff it with sauerkraut, sausage and apples.

That's a big suckling for a grill
    IMHO, too big to be a true "suckling" at 37lbs. I prefer them right at 30lbs max, but it was damn near impossible to get this one with more than 2 weeks lead time on my order.
    It'll most definitely have a spa day in my brother's smoker, the suggestions of kraut, taters, sausage and apples sound awesome.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom