Not open for further replies.

Mitch B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2010
    indiana
    d2d1d83f5c11db5de59da431e1ae60bf.jpg

St. Elmo seasoning, 300 degrees about an hour and a half, cooked to 190 IT, basted with Bones BBQ sauce, used lumber jack competition blend pellets. EXCELLENT!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    For those interested. Kroger has their brisket for $2.99/lb starting tomorrow (7/28).
    Thanks for the heads up!
    Got off work early today and ran into K. Roger's for one. Picked up a 13# ($91 reg) for $39.
    They had some really nice T bones for $12/lb too.
    Wish me luck fellas, this is my first brisket smoke. If anyone cares to offer any advise, I'm all ears.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Thanks for the heads up!
    Got off work early today and ran into K. Roger's for one. Picked up a 13# ($91 reg) for $39.
    Wish me luck fellas, this is my first brisket smoke. If anyone cares to offer any advise, I'm all ears.
    I go 200 degrees until it’s around 160 internal, then wrap it and keep it at 200 until the brisket gets to 200ish depending on tenderness. Let it rest a couple hours.

Offset smoker, pellet smoker, what?

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Thanks for the heads up!
    Thanks for the heads up!

There are plenty of good "how to" videos out there. Here is just one example...

No doubt, there are others here that know more than me about it. That said, here are some free tips based on my experiences. Keep in mind, these are worth what you are paying for them!

-Take your time trimming, particularly the hard fat between the point and flat. You want some fat, but not the hard stuff....you want to make sure it renders.

-Salt and pepper is all you need for a run. It lets the flavor of the beef shine through. I put a LIGHT coat of oil or plain yellow mustard on the brisket to help it stick.

-When it is time to wrap, use the red butcher paper. It makes for better bark. You can usually find this at a Lowes or a store with grilling supplies.

-Monitor your grate temp and meat temp...stay within the guidelines.

-Take your time and don't rush it

-Let it rest in a cooler after it comes off the smoker. I usually gor for a couple of hours with this. Some say that's more than necessary, but the rest is important to let the juices redistribute.

-Have fun with it! Don't worry about "messing it up". Like most things smoking related, it is a learning process. As long as you take the time and monitor temps, it will turn out good!

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    I go 200 degrees until it’s around 160 internal, then wrap it and keep it at 200 until the brisket gets to 200ish depending on tenderness. Let it rest a couple hours.

Offset smoker, pellet smoker, what?
    Cheapo Weber vertical smoker. I've done pork butts, ribs, chix ect and they've came out fine. Something about a $100 piece of beef intimidates the hell outta me.
    I think I wanna keep it as simple as possible until I flatten the learning curve a bit.
    Thanks for the help Hatin', you too BR.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Cheapo Weber vertical smoker. I've done pork butts, ribs, chix ect and they've came out fine. Something about a $100 piece of beef intimidates the hell outta me.
    I think I wanna keep it as simple as possible until I flatten the learning curve a bit.
    Red went into a lot more detail, pretty good advice. My only suggestion is don’t trim the fat on the back side off, just trim it enough so it will lay evenly on the grates. Put the fat towards the source of the heat (if heat is coming from below, put the fat down). Like BR said, be patient. It’s a slow process.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out

I run a Weber Smokey Mountain....runs just fine....just takes more attention to monitoring the temp than others.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom