• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I dont soak chips or wood anymore. I just throw it on. If using chips, sprinkle them so they are scattered throughout the charcoal. If using chunks, place 3-4 mixed in with the charcoal. I've actually tried sprinkling some wood pellets on top of and around the charcoal with decent results.
    Yep this is what I do as well. I use chunks because they last longer than the chips.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

For some reason I couldn't edit in words on my phone. Anyway, I didn't wrap these so they'll have a little more bite than wrapped ribs. Just a salt/pepper/garlic rub then once they hit about 160 start spritzing with a mix of water/apple juice/apple cider vinegar. Mulberry wood for flavor wood, which smokes like apple. Get them to about 200-203 and then pull and rest. The bone will come clean but the meat still has a decent chew to it. Just a bit of sweetness from the apple flavors. No need for a sauce.

I'll sometimes do a wrap and glaze, but kept these simpler.

Attachments

• 20210906_182255.jpg
      20210906_182255.jpg
      2.4 MB · Views: 10
    Last edited:

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    I spent most of the day working outside so I decided to cook indoors. I had some italian sausage in the freezer because when I purchased it a few months ago, I asked for a 3 foot rope but wasn't paying attention and when I got home, I discovered the guy had given me 6 feet. That's a lot of sausage.

EAB427E7-E246-4FD3-B501-D734F9662CD0_1_105_c.jpeg

27D3DAF1-E84E-4BCF-8CFD-7FA0E15C38D8_1_105_c.jpeg 8A21B09B-53DF-45CE-A1FF-1CA7622EB1C1_1_105_c.jpeg

tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    Happy Labor day. Smoked some ribs on 160 low smoke an hour, 300 for 20/30 min a side. Camp chef grill always with black cherry pellets.

Flank steak (dry pink salt brine overnight) also an hour 160 low smoke for Mexican style Ranchero beef with potatoes. Used this recipe and extra ingredients were some wild mushrooms, yellow banana pepper and bit of kale. Used a cup of homemade beef broth instead of 2 cups water in recipe, plenty of water from tomotoes.

Both will be better tomorrow! Opened a 2004 Jeff Gordon Napa Merlot if anyone enjoys reds!

PXL_20210906_224922605.jpg

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    Opinions wanted from the INGO Grilling Crew .
    I am wanting to use some wood chips to my low and slow cooking of my Ribs this time.
    What have you found is the Best Method
    Soaked and put in a Foil packet Or put in dry ?
    and when and where do i put them for best results?
    Last time I did ribs in my Weber kettle, I used wood chunks that were soaked in water for about 30 minutes prior. I thought it worked well and will use that method again. I don't know that soaking them makes much difference however.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Opinions wanted from the INGO Grilling Crew .
    I am wanting to use some wood chips to my low and slow cooking of my Ribs this time.
    What have you found is the Best Method
    Soaked and put in a Foil packet Or put in dry ?
    and when and where do i put them for best results?

What sort of grill? Chips and foil packets are more for electric smokers. Soaking them will prolong the smoke. If you're using charcoal, you'll want bigger chunks of flavor wood. Soaking it just results in dirty smoke.

mike4sigs

Master
    Rating - 94.4%
    34   2   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Southern Adams County
    What sort of grill? Chips and foil packets are more for electric smokers. Soaking them will prolong the smoke. If you're using charcoal, you'll want bigger chunks of flavor wood. Soaking it just results in dirty smoke.
    weber kettle .
    I used wood chip's dry and added them right after i put in the Charcoal . Enough smoke flavor for us .
    INGO
    thanks for all the help

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    weber kettle .
    I used wood chip's dry and added them right after i put in the Charcoal . Enough smoke flavor for us .
    INGO
    thanks for all the help

If you've never used anything but chips, try this just for a comparison: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Weber-Apple-Wood-Chunks/5001935543?

Wait until the fire is ready then add a chunk near the hot coals and one further out on the perimeter (or along the snake if using that method). I bet you'll smell the difference almost immediately. If you don't like it, you're out $7, so it's not a pricey test.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Smoking seven pounds of buckboard bacon before vac packing into the freezer.
    Easy way; used Morton's Tenderquick, brown sugar, red, white and black pepper corns in the grinder. A week of cure in the frig, wash off, four hours in fresh water soak out and into the smoke. It's simple and we like it better than the pricey stuff in the stores.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    When you have friends coming for dinner but it's storming outside...

lH8RwLEl.jpg

Took a bunch of s**t on the RecTec Facebook page about this being horribly dangerous. I guess they were referring to how high those coolers are stacked. :dunno:

I have been grilling, smoking, even frying turkeys in that garage for the past 25 years without incident. I open the 16' garage door on the south side about 6" and prop open the man doors on the north and west sides. As long as there's a good breeze, or like yesterday, 25MPH wind, the smoke is immediately blow out. I also keep the grills a good 3-4' away from cars, workbenches, etc. and have a fire extinguishers in each corner of the garage.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville

lH8RwLEl.jpg

Took a bunch of s**t on the RecTec Facebook page about this being horribly dangerous. I guess they were referring to how high those coolers are stacked. :dunno:

I have been grilling, smoking, even frying turkeys in that garage for the past 25 years without incident. I open the 16' garage door on the south side about 6" and prop open the man doors on the north and west sides. As long as there's a good breeze, or like yesterday, 25MPH wind, the smoke is immediately blow out. I also keep the grills a good 3-4' away from cars, workbenches, etc. and have a fire extinguishers in each corner of the garage.
    I don’t see a problem with it? High ceilings, good ventilation, extinguisher in case. Only time there might be a problem would be a grease fire, but in a pellet smoker I’ve never had an issue with grease fires.

So what was in the cooker?

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I don’t see a problem with it? High ceilings, good ventilation, extinguisher in case. Only time there might be a problem would be a grease fire, but in a pellet smoker I’ve never had an issue with grease fires.

So what was in the cooker?
    Hamburgers/lamb burgers on the big one smoking for about an hour to 120 degrees, then seared on the little one to desired doneness. Smashed potatoes with butter, garlic, parmesan on the little one while the burgers smoked.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Doing a whole chicken on the smoker tomorrow, gonna use half of the chicken in chicken noodle soup and use the other half for chicken salad sandwiches for work.

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy

lH8RwLEl.jpg

The camp chef Facebook page isn’t any better. They flip out if you are near any structure or under any type of shelter. I smoke under my gazebo all the time without incident. Knock on wood. I guess a few people have had bad luck smoking. Hope you continue to have safe cooks.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom