Not open for further replies.

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    I love eating bass. But I've had a few people get extremely angry at me when they found out I ate something they catch for sport.
    Well, that's kind of silly. Men have been eating their daily catch since the beginning of time.

Never had bass for dinner. What would you say it most compares to in the arena of freshwater fish? I have eaten most everything else that is commonly consumed.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Well, that's kind of silly. Men have been eating their daily catch since the beginning of time.

Never had bass for dinner. What would you say it most compares to in the arena of freshwater fish? I have eaten most everything else that is commonly consumed.
    Its a firm, meaty fish that holds together well when frying. That being said, it still flakes apart well when eaten. Some people don't like largemouth bass because it is more fishy than say a Walleye or Crappie. But I've never had any bass that was too fishy for me. I think people are just put off by the smell. Bass do smell pretty fishy, but have a mild taste. I will usually make a dry mixture of corn meal, garlic powder, salt and pepper to coat the filet, and fry in a cast iron skillet with about 1/2" of oil. I prefer this method over baking or frying in butter.

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    Its a firm, meaty fish that holds together well when frying. That being said, it still flakes apart well when eaten. Some people don't like largemouth bass because it is more fishy than say a Walleye or Crappie. But I've never had any bass that was too fishy for me. I think people are just put off by the smell. Bass do smell pretty fishy, but have a mild taste. I will usually make a dry mixture of corn meal, garlic powder, salt and pepper to coat the filet, and fry in a cast iron skillet with about 1/2" of oil. I prefer this method over baking or frying in butter.
    Good to know, thanks. White bass are the fishiest smelling and tasting I have ever eaten. I fish for them during the spring run in Ohio every May and learned long ago to throw them back.

Mitch B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2010
    indiana
    Perfection!

aa00311292b95be78b3b3bdfce4b6061.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I made some shrimp and brats over the weekend, but this is not about that.

On Friday, someone on the Oklahoma Joes Facebook page asked: "Has anyone smoked lamb?"

I responded that it doesn't fit the rolling papers very well and is hard to keep lit.

Many people apparently have senses of humor and found it funny. Oklahoma Joes did not. They removed the comment and then suspended me from the group.

C'mon people....just a little chuckle. Why so serious?

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Baby back ribs dry rubbed and sitting in the fridge.

They'll hit the smoker tomorrow morning over some wood from an apple tree I took down a couple years ago.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom