• KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Not from my rep (came from Rep Michelle Davis, Dist 58 Greenwood, NRA-PVF AQ), but here are two of the questions (answers are yes, no, undecided.) I've never seen the question asked so straight-forward.

[h=4]# 4 - Do you believe Hoosiers who are legally permitted to possess a handgun should be able to carry a handgun in public without first applying for and obtaining a state-issued license? This proposal is often referred to as “constitutional carry.”[/h]# 5 - In 2005, Indiana was one of the first states to enact a “Red Flag Law,” which allows law enforcement to confiscate and hold the firearms of someone found by a court to be dangerous to others or themselves. Do you think this is an important public health and safety policy?

BrettonJudy7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 2, 2017
    GREENFIELD
    Not from my rep (came from Rep Michelle Davis, Dist 58 Greenwood, NRA-PVF AQ), but here are two of the questions (answers are yes, no, undecided.) I've never seen the question asked so straight-forward.

# 4 - Do you believe Hoosiers who are legally permitted to possess a handgun should be able to carry a handgun in public without first applying for and obtaining a state-issued license? This proposal is often referred to as “constitutional carry.”

# 5 - In 2005, Indiana was one of the first states to enact a “Red Flag Law,” which allows law enforcement to confiscate and hold the firearms of someone found by a court to be dangerous to others or themselves. Do you think this is an important public health and safety policy?

I think the way that #5 is worded is misleading? Maybe misleading isn't the correct word, but how would you answer that?
    Is it meaning to ask, "Do you think the Red Flag law is an important public health and safety policy?"
    I have an answer to that, but the way I read it, it seems that the question is referring to whether I think dangerous people should have a firearm or not. The question completely misses a major factor with Red Flag laws, and that being with illegal seizure of a firearm from an individual.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I think the way that #5 is worded is misleading? Maybe misleading isn't the correct word, but how would you answer that?
    Is it meaning to ask, "Do you think the Red Flag law is an important public health and safety policy?"
    I have an answer to that, but the way I read it, it seems that the question is referring to whether I think dangerous people should have a firearm or not. The question completely misses a major factor with Red Flag laws, and that being with illegal seizure of a firearm from an individual.

You're not wrong - "it's important" isn't the same as "it's good".

The first sentence has a period, thus set as a statement. And for the most part, is actually true, LEO can confiscate after a court finds them to be dangerous (even if they aren't).

Answer it as if it's, "Do you think Jake Laird's Law is good?"

FWIW, my state rep did not include any questions on firearms. I guess he doesn't care about my opinion.

BrettonJudy7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 2, 2017
    GREENFIELD
    The first sentence has a period, thus set as a statement. And for the most part, is actually true, LEO can confiscate after a court finds them to be dangerous (even if they aren't).

Answer it as if it's, "Do you think Jake Laird's Law is good?"

Right. That is really what they are trying to get at, just masked as a contemplation for people with mental health issues, or are dangerous to themselves or others.

These are my answer: Do I want dangerous people to have firearms? "No". This answer is subjective however, as my definition of a "dangerous" person is different from everyone else.
    Do I support a law that allows room for the courts to deem someone "dangerous" even if I don't? "No". My answer here is objective, as there is no exact definition of what constitutes a "dangerous" person.

Duncan Lemp was deemed "dangerous" and was murdered in his sleep. (unless someone has a new updated that proves otherwise)

goldtrigger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 13, 2013
    Morgan county
    Rep. Young sent out a survey with question 4 on it as well. Good to see. I hope it gets traction this round. I may work on postcards to m reps this week end.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Previous surveys had nothing close to this specificity. I'm thinking with Bosma out of the Statehouse (and off being a swamp-creature) we have a lot better shot at getting ConC on the floor for a vote. Just waiting to see what kind of BS Nisly will pull this time...

BrettonJudy7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 2, 2017
    GREENFIELD
    Previous surveys had nothing close to this specificity. I'm thinking with Bosma out of the Statehouse (and off being a swamp-creature) we have a lot better shot at getting ConC on the floor for a vote. Just waiting to see what kind of BS Nisly will pull this time...

Just out of curiosity, what did Nisly do last time? Something to jeopardize the bill?

Genuinely curious. Nisly is not my rep, nor do I have any personal affiliation to him in any way. I have heard negative things and positive things of him in the past. I have heard that he has done things to jeopardize previous CC bills, but I haven't done my research to see what it was.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    You're not wrong - "it's important" isn't the same as "it's good".

To be followed closely by the headlines such as '62% of Indiana voters favor red flag laws'. Do you really think your careful, punctuational parsing will really be a thing?

Last edited:

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Happy to say Bosma's District Rep (my rep) is a co sponsor of one of the 5 constitutional carry bills.

Sad to say it is the one with Nisly ...

Top Bottom