KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Alert! SB 199 (makes it not a felony to point a loaded firearm at someone in a self-defense situation that does not rise to the level of deadly force/distinguishes the difference between deadly force and pointing a firearm) Has had its first reading and was assigned to the courts and criminal code committee in the house.

still standing by to see which committee direction HB 1369 goes.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Here's a draft for supporting SB 199. This is a good bill and got through the Senate pretty easy. There were four that testified on the Senate side when up in committee (me, Guy, the President of the ISRPA, one other pro-2A guy) but I look for the antis to show up this time.

More to follow on the members of the Courts and Criminal Code Committee. I feel pretty good on it, even though both the R's who WERE endorsed by NRA-PVF and voted against ConC are on the committee.

Wouldn't hurt to let the committee know we're here and paying attention.

http://iga.in.gov/legislative/2021/committees/courts_and_criminal_code_0300

Senator/Representative,

I am writing to encourage your support of SB 199, Self Defense. This bill was authored by Senator Michael Young and Chris Garten, and co-authored by Senators Baldwin, Busch, Crane, Koch, Kruse, Leising, and Tomes. SB 199 is sponsored in the House by Representative Chris Jeter, and corrects a longstanding problem that resulted from an Indiana Appeals Court decision.

SB 199 does not change when reasonable use of force includes deadly force. Likewise, SB 199 does not make it legal to point a firearm at someone without the imminent threat of unlawful force. What SB 199 does do is accurately define deadly force.

Over 20 years ago, the Indiana Appeals Court ruled in Nantz v State that the act of pointing a loaded firearm was deadly force. Inference and possibility are not the same as deadly force by any stretch of the imagination. SB 199 simply specifies that pointing a firearm is reasonable force in a self-defense or arrest situation, correcting over 20 years of judicial overreach.

SB 199 is a very short bill, changing very little in current Indiana Code. Better defining reasonable force will be of great help to Hoosiers in self-defense situations, and afterwards. I’m sure I can count on your support with this important legislation.

Thank you,

Name

Address

Phone Number

Email

Last edited:

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Still standing by to standby on HB 1369. I’ll holler loud when it gets assigned to a committee.

SB 64 (teacher firearms training and crony capitalism) is officially dead for this year. Too bad, I had a good five minutes of opposition to it.;)

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Can they just not assign it to committee or sit on it until it is too late?

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Can they just not assign it to committee or sit on it until it is too late?
    There seems to be some method to their madness as far as getting it assigned to committee after first reading. I look for early next week.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    As far as it looks from here, Kelly, I don’t even see that it’s had First Reading in the senate yet. Am I missing something? (Besides my mind ;-) )
    To quote Ed McMahon, "You are correct, sir!" There are bills queued up, first reading and referred to committee 8 March (that's next Monday.) If we don't see it Monday? It may be time to rally the troops for emails and phone calls on Tuesday. Maybe not, no SA on the matter.

I don't have any inside baseball knowledge on what's going on. I can tell you it was 11th hour when 1369 came up for a committee hearing. Could be similar strategy. I'll see what I can find out.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    To quote Ed McMahon, "You are correct, sir!" There are bills queued up, first reading and referred to committee 8 March (that's next Monday.) If we don't see it Monday? It may be time to rally the troops for emails and phone calls on Tuesday. Maybe not, no SA on the matter.

I don't have any inside baseball knowledge on what's going on. I can tell you it was 11th hour when 1369 came up for a committee hearing. Could be similar strategy. I'll see what I can find out.
    Per my super-secret inside source (not really, but it sounds much cooler that way): Everything is still looking good. Had props for the Senate sponsors and the NRA-ILA folks are (my words here) "herding the RINOs".

goldtrigger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 13, 2013
    Morgan county
    Per my super-secret inside source (not really, but it sounds much cooler that way): Everything is still looking good. Had props for the Senate sponsors and the NRA-ILA folks are (my words here) "herding the RINOs".
    Good to hear that. I was afraid that the bill was being dropped since the Senate hadn't acted yet.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Email sent to Sen Koch, Senate sponsor for 1369, asking whiskeytangofoxtrot is going on with it. I don’t know that I’ll get an answer, but of those I know in the senate, I think Sen Koch is the most likely to do so.

This bill should be a shoo-in to pass, and should have done so years ago.

I’ll report any reply.

Blessings,
    Bill

Viper1973

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Heads up... one of the statewide newspaper chains is preparing to torpedo 1369 with a multi-paper editorial targeting the representatives and the governor within the next few days. (They need to mind their own business.)

Prowler1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2016
    Bloomington
    What is Indiana doing to protect Indiana U.S. citizens from a rogue federal government ???? I saw that SHTF for law abiding gun owners today with the US AG.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom