Not open for further replies.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I hope that my current lifetime LTC will be good for reciprocity and not need to renew it.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    HB 1282: How about NO!!

Authored by​

Citizen's arrests. Specifies that a person may perform a citizen's arrest only if: (1) the arrest is justified under the self-defense statute; (2) the arrest is justified under the shoplifter or unlawful recording detention statutes; or (3) the arrest is based on a criminal offense committed on private property in the presence of the arresting person, if the arresting person has a contractual interest in the property or is an employee of an establishment located on the property. Makes conforming amendments.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    HB 1282: How about NO!!

Authored by​

Citizen's arrests. Specifies that a person may perform a citizen's arrest only if: (1) the arrest is justified under the self-defense statute; (2) the arrest is justified under the shoplifter or unlawful recording detention statutes; or (3) the arrest is based on a criminal offense committed on private property in the presence of the arresting person, if the arresting person has a contractual interest in the property or is an employee of an establishment located on the property. Makes conforming amendments.
    I like the hot link to the reps.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I like the hot link to the reps.
    That was more by accident than anything. I'm a two-finger typist so copy/paste is my friend. I wanted to get the authors over here with the bill info so the props or hate could be sent appropriately.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    SB199: Support. Senator Michael Young. Eliminates pointing a loaded firearm = deadly force/only lawful if deadly force is authorized.

Self-defense. Specifies that "reasonable force" includes the pointing of a loaded or unloaded firearm for purposes of self-defense and arrest statutes.
    Adds: As used in this section, "reasonable force" includes the pointing of a loaded or unloaded firearm to two sections of self-defense statutes.
    That already is in the IC, but it was neutered by the IN supreme court. Will this negate that?

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    That already is in the IC, but it was neutered by the IN supreme court. Will this negate that?
    To my knowledge the "pointing loaded firearm = deadly force" was driven by a court case. Guy has mentioned it before, the details escape me right now. LEOs are exempt from this.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    HB 1295: Elimination of Gun Free Zones. Not the ones you thought of when you read the previous sentence. This deals with the Indiana State Fair Commission and their anti-2A antics.

Authored by​

Co-Authored by​

Elimination of gun-free zones. Provides that beginning July 1, 2021, the state of Indiana may not regulate: (1) firearms, ammunition, and firearm accessories; and (2) the ownership, possession, carrying, transportation, registration, transfer, and storage of firearms, ammunition, and firearm accessories. Specifies certain exceptions. Provides that any provision of an ordinance, measure, enactment, rule, or policy enacted by the state and pertaining to: (1) firearms; (2) ammunition; (3) firearm accessories; and (4) the: (A) ownership; (B) possession; (C) carrying; (D) transportation; (E) registration; (F) transfer; and (G) storage of; firearms, ammunition, and firearm accessories; is void July 1, 2021. Provides that a person not otherwise prohibited from carrying or possessing a firearm under federal or state law may carry or possess a firearm, without restriction, on property affiliated with, or regulated by, the following state agencies beginning July 1, 2021: (1) The Indiana state fair commission. (2) The Indiana department of administration. Provides the Indiana state fair commission and Indiana department of administration with rulemaking and emergency rulemaking authority to implement these changes. Specifies certain rulemaking deadlines. Defines certain terms. Makes conforming amendments.
    I am at work, so have not read the full bill, but from the synopsis, this one seems to open up the fairgrounds during the fair, and open the capitol and govt complex all the time, to the citizens who obey laws. Still doesn’t address schools, but this seems to be pretty huge.
    Makes me wonder how it will do after the US Capitol nonsense from a few days ago— look for the lefties to call that out.
    To that I say, “Sic ‘em, Jim” (aka Rep Lucas will eat them for lunch!)

Blessings,
    Bill

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    [2A Legislation Alert Sounder] MORE BILLS!! Including HB 1369 Firearms Matters. It's three pages longer than 1034/et al, so more to follow.

Edit: HB 1369 adds criminal enhancements for pointing a gun/shooting at a "first responder", current statute is LEO only. This looks like the difference between 1369 and 1034/1231/1242.

House Bill 1369​

Introduced House Bill (H)​

Authored by​

Co-Authored by​

Firearms matters. Repeals the law that requires a person to obtain a license to carry a handgun in Indiana. Specifies that certain persons who are not otherwise prohibited from carrying or possessing a handgun are not required to obtain or possess a license or permit from the state to carry a handgun in Indiana. Prohibits certain individuals from knowingly or intentionally carrying a handgun. Creates the crime of "unlawful carrying of a handgun". Provides that a prohibited person who knowingly or intentionally carries a handgun commits a Class A misdemeanor. Specifies that the unlawful carrying of a handgun is a Level 5 felony if a person: (1) is less than 23 years of age; and (2) has an adjudication as a delinquent child for an act described by IC 35-47-4-5 (unlawful possession of a firearm by a serious violent felon). Allows a resident of Indiana who wishes to carry a firearm in another state under a reciprocity agreement entered into by Indiana and the other state to obtain from the superintendent of the state police department a reciprocity license. Requires law enforcement agencies to make use of certain data bases when issuing reciprocity licenses. Provides that a person who knowingly or intentionally exerts unauthorized control over a firearm of another person with the intent to deprive the person of any part of its value or use commits theft, a Level 5 felony. Allows for the imposition of an additional fixed term of imprisonment when a person knowingly or intentionally: (1) points; or (2) discharges; a firearm at someone the person knew, or reasonably should have known, was a first responder.

Last edited:

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    This is basically HB 1295 with prohibition on "State Education Institutions" (University, College, post-secondary education) being GFZs.

House Bill 1375​

Authored by​

Co-Authored by​

Elimination of gun-free zones. Provides that beginning July 1, 2021, the state of Indiana may not regulate: (1) firearms, ammunition, and firearm accessories; and (2) the ownership, possession, carrying, transportation, registration, transfer, and storage of firearms, ammunition, and firearm accessories. Specifies certain exceptions. Provides that any provision of an ordinance, measure, enactment, rule, or policy enacted by the state and pertaining to: (1) firearms; (2) ammunition; (3) firearm accessories; and (4) the: (A) ownership; (B) possession; (C) carrying; (D) transportation; (E) registration; (F) transfer; and (G) storage of; firearms, ammunition, and firearm accessories; is void July 1, 2021. Provides that a person not otherwise prohibited from carrying or possessing a firearm under federal or state law may carry or possess a firearm, without restriction, on property affiliated with, or regulated by, the following state agencies beginning July 1, 2021: (1) The Indiana department of natural resources. (2) The Indiana state fair commission. (3) The Indiana department of administration. (4) The Indiana department of workforce development. Provides certain commissions and departments with rulemaking and emergency rulemaking authority to implement these changes. Specifies certain rulemaking deadlines. Prohibits a state educational institution (institution) from regulating the possession or transportation of firearms, ammunition, or firearm accessories: (1) on land that is; or (2) in buildings and other structures that are; owned, leased, or managed by the institution. Specifies certain exceptions. Voids, as of July 1, 2021, any rules or policies enacted or undertaken by an institution before, on, or after June 30, 2021, that concern the possession or transportation of firearms, ammunition, or firearm accessories on land or in structures owned or leased by the institution. Allows a person to bring an action against an institution if the person is adversely affected by a rule, a measure, an enactment, or a policy that: (1) is adopted or enforced by the institution; and (2) concerns the possession or transportation of firearms, ammunition, or firearm accessories on land or in structures owned, leased, or managed by the institution. Defines certain terms.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Hey great Job Kelly!!!. Sorry life has me in the spin cycle a while now.

I have a feeling w the authors on the list including the committee chair and Guy (and the 2A Project / NRA supporting it) 1369 is gonna be the 1 to move forward.

Hope to make a hearing and see you there.
    I have not had time to digest all the others yet.

ETA ... i like that overall the carry bills have about 15 or 20 sponsors!!! (At least in the house)

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    But, I thought everything depended on GOA and 2AF.

Not to take away from what they do, just irks me that with all NRA does at our State House that they get such bad press from some here.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    To my knowledge the "pointing loaded firearm = deadly force" was driven by a court case. Guy has mentioned it before, the details escape me right now. LEOs are exempt from this.
    Yes, which is why I said the IN supreme court neutered it. They ruled that pointing a firearm is deadly force, which the IC states that it is reasonable force.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Hey great Job Kelly!!!. Sorry life has me in the spin cycle a while now.

I have a feeling w the authors on the list including the committee chair and Guy (and the 2A Project / NRA supporting it) 1369 is gonna be the 1 to move forward.

Hope to make a hearing and see you there.
    I have not had time to digest all the others yet.

ETA ... i like that overall the carry bills have about 15 or 20 sponsors!!! (At least in the house)
    Thanks Bill, just following in your footsteps on this.

All looks quiet at 200 W Washington today on 2A matters. More to follow, the 2A Project thread will also have info.

HKFaninCarmel

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 7, 2019
    Carmel
    Thanks for the updates. I spent some time browsing the legis website yesterday to read them. I'm very interested in going down to the capitol to check this out when CC advances. How hard is it to speak during a subcommittee here? Not used to Indiana legis rules yet?

How hard is it to speak to a legislator here? Can I go to the chamber and request them? I know in other states they'll have the doorman deliver a note for you and you can get them out.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    How hard is it to speak to a legislator here? Can I go to the chamber and request them? I know in other states they'll have the doorman deliver a note for you and you can get them out.
    From my experience in my former home in Illinois it depends some are too full of themselves and all knowing they can't find time. Others will be more than happy to meet with you, those are the ones to elect. Jim.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Thanks for the updates. I spent some time browsing the legis website yesterday to read them. I'm very interested in going down to the capitol to check this out when CC advances. How hard is it to speak during a subcommittee here? Not used to Indiana legis rules yet?

A couple different questions here HK. Speaking at a committee hearing? Easier than you think. Well this year is confusing with the COVID madness (committee in room 202, testify in room 404 type stuff, normally you're in the same room.) Sign up (after 0700 on the online, if it's working) or sign up at the hearing/testimony room.

Speaking to a legislator: that's a bit different. I've spoken with several after committee hearings because I was in the room with them. Other than that, hit and miss I'd say.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon

Not one, but TWO more ConC Bills!!​

House Bill 1544​

Authored by​

Co-Authored by​

Possession of firearms. Repeals the law that requires a person to obtain a license to carry a handgun in Indiana. Specifies that certain persons at least 18 years of age who are not otherwise prohibited from carrying or possessing a handgun are not required to obtain or possess a license or permit from the state to carry a handgun in Indiana. Prohibits certain individuals from knowingly or intentionally carrying a handgun. Creates the crime of "unlawful carrying of a handgun". Provides that a prohibited person who knowingly or intentionally carries a handgun commits a Class A misdemeanor. Allows a resident of Indiana who wishes to carry a firearm in another state under a reciprocity agreement entered into by Indiana and the other state to obtain from the superintendent of the state police department a reciprocity license. Requires law enforcement agencies to make use of certain data bases when issuing reciprocity licenses. Makes conforming amendments

House Bill 1460​

Authored by​

Possession of firearms. Repeals the law that requires a person to obtain a license to carry a handgun in Indiana. Specifies that certain persons who are not otherwise prohibited from carrying or possessing a handgun are not required to obtain or possess a license or permit from the state to carry a handgun in Indiana. Prohibits certain individuals from knowingly or intentionally carrying a handgun. Creates the crime of "unlawful carrying of a handgun". Provides that a prohibited person who knowingly or intentionally carries a handgun commits a Class A misdemeanor. Specifies that the unlawful carrying of a handgun is a Level 4 felony when a person: (1) is less than 23 years of age; and (2) has an adjudication as a delinquent child for an act described by IC 35-47-4-5 (unlawful possession of a firearm by a serious violent felon). Allows a resident of Indiana who wishes to carry a firearm in another state under a reciprocity agreement entered into by Indiana and the other state to obtain from the superintendent of the state police department a reciprocity license. Requires law enforcement agencies to make use of certain data bases when issuing reciprocity licenses. Makes conforming amendments.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    This looks like more from the Noblesville Parents. Same bill comes up every year. It's already in IC 35-47-10 IIRC.

Senate Bill 285​

Introduced Senate Bill (S)​

Authored by​

Storage of firearms. Prohibits a person from keeping or storing a firearm on any premises controlled by the person if one or more of the following conditions apply: (1) The person knows, or reasonably should know, that a child is likely to gain access to the firearm. (2) A permanent or temporary resident of the premises is disqualified, ineligible, or prohibited from possessing a firearm under federal or state law. (3) A permanent or temporary resident of the premises poses a risk of imminent personal injury to himself or herself or any other individual. Provides that a failure to secure a firearm that results in injury to, or the death of, another person is a Level 6 felony. Enhances the offense to a Level 5 felony if the person has a prior, unrelated conviction for the offense. Specifies certain defenses. Defines certain terms. Makes conforming amendments.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom