• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I wonder about how to deal with a populous that may not be mentally healthy after or amongst the pandemic and consequent lockdowns that resulted?

How do we tiptoe around those that may not be all the way stable after nearly a year of fear and or anger from being somewhat isolated from the normal human interaction that we have had all of our lives?

The same goes for those who may have been financially ruined from government forced unemployment?

We have gone for month on month of every formal outing being among folks that cannot even show a smile, much less a touch. How does this covering of human emotion change our interactions?

Many of us are old enough to have noticed how different the last generation or two of youth have changed from those prior due to the age of digital communications. Do we wonder if this past year may have brought a mental change to all people in a similar but unique way?

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    I here ya BW. I wonder as well and hope that I am around long enough to watch the documentary of 2020/Corona pandemic to see what will be revealed. Other than work, I am in a "alone" situation this year and it's been hell many nights. I can count on one hand, minus the thumb, how few hugs that I have had. Just seeing a coworkers face when they forget their mask for a few minutes is an emotional thing for me. Not fear of corona. Truly emotional to see a whole face while talking with them.
    As to your other points. With sympathy/empathy, and a dose of caution.
    Being in the "Eye" business, I am used to paying attention to those orbs. With people wearing masks I have found yet another way to see beauty in people.
    Carry on, Hang on, Stay healthy my friend.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Have all of that within our own house. Tiptoeing does no good - almost anything can set off the cascade of emotions, anger, depression, sleepless nights, and pain. Not being very social myself this whole thing was more like a vacation to me. But some of my loved ones are barely hanging on, while counseling, meetings and what little social activities are allowed just can't keep up.
    Right now I'm just digging my fingernails into the tree trunk and praying the hurricane won't blow me away.

Last edited:

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    I wonder about how to deal with a populous that may not be mentally healthy after or amongst the pandemic and consequent lockdowns that resulted?

How do we tiptoe around those that may not be all the way stable after nearly a year of fear and or anger from being somewhat isolated from the normal human interaction that we have had all of our lives?

The same goes for those who may have been financially ruined from government forced unemployment?

We have gone for month on month of every formal outing being among folks that cannot even show a smile, much less a touch. How does this covering of human emotion change our interactions?

Many of us are old enough to have noticed how different the last generation or two of youth have changed from those prior due to the age of digital communications. Do we wonder if this past year may have brought a mental change to all people in a similar but unique way?

TR said it best: speak softly and carry a big stick.

But truth be told they were probably this way before COVID.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

I can't tell if this a sincere message about things in your life or or just another us vs. them scenario. You posted this in the survival prep, so I don't know what your underlying concern is.

Unless in close proximity, we don't wear mask in church or at work, people still seem pretty cool... Now my close friends - they're the ones hiding (like days on end in their house). We find ways to communicate, and I really don't have a huge concern about their mental well being.

And to add to those to worry about, let's not forget that for nine months there's been a group of people gobbling up every bit of "plandemic" conspiracies and have been overly preoccupied with discounting masks, etc., etc.

I'd suggest there's some mental changes there.

As to the digital age, that ship started sailing a a while ago. Those working on college campuses have been noting a rapid shift in young people toward isolation. It's much harder to get any direct interactions with young people today. Coronavirus might have accelerated it, but it didn't start it.

Trying to think optimistically, perhaps the lack of interaction will have the effect of reminding people how precious and important it can be.

If nothing else, human being are resilient.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    The Surprising Mental Toll of COVID

...The rise in depression and anxiety is even worse than expected, especially among young adults

You didn't need a crystal ball to forecast that the COVID-19 pandemic would devastate mental health. Illness or fear of illness, social isolation, economic insecurity, disruption of routine and loss of loved ones are known risk factors for depression and anxiety. Now studies have confirmed the predictions. But psychologists say the findings also include surprises about the wide extent of mental distress; the way media consumption exacerbates it; and how badly it has affected young people...

...An unanticipated finding, across all three surveys, was the outsized toll on young adults. In the CDC survey, 62.9 percent of 18- to 24-year-olds reported an anxiety or depressive disorder, a quarter said they were using more drugs and alcohol to cope with pandemic-related stress, and a quarter said they had “seriously considered suicide” in the previous 30 days. Young adults were also the most affected age group in an unusual, real-time study that tracked the rapid rise in “acute distress” and depression at three points between mid-March and mid-April. “We expected the opposite because it was already clear that older individuals were at greater risk” from the virus, says senior author Roxane Cohen Silver, a psychologist at the University of California, Irvine.

Silver suspects that young people “may have had more disruption in life events: graduations, weddings, the senior year of college and of high school. All those transitions were disrupted, as well as school and social connections, which we know are very important for young people.”...

jpr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    My father died in January of what we now suspect was covid. My mother is not able to take care of herself so my 22 year old son volunteered to move down there with her. This is now his job and he has handled it well but he has had a few rough patches not being able to get out. He's a gamer so for the most part he was on a computer most of the time anyway. I was going have him bring my mother up here for Christmas but I got the damn sickness. Luckily he understands and rolls with it. My mother in law is going stir crazy not being able to get out all the time. She wanted my youngest daughter to spend the night with her Saturday even though my 17 year old son is getting sick. But the biggest surprise through all of this was my 19 year old daughter (we have 9 kids)announcing she was going into the army. I never saw that one coming. She is now about half way through basic and just got a positive test so she can't come home. Luckily we just roll with it.

gunworks321

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Noblesville
    I feel for you JPR. We have a family at our church in the same situation and it is wrecking them. Wife and I are over 70 so we don't go out much. Church is live streamed, Groceries once a week be me a quick in and out. She runs a business from home and it is all online based, so there is no need to venture out. Facebook keeps us updated with away family and most importantly we have each other three dogs and spiteful cat. Hopefully 2021 will return some level of normalcy. At least I pray the it will. Keep the faith and will pray for your family. Try to have a Merry Christmas.
    My father died in January of what we now suspect was covid. My mother is not able to take care of herself so my 22 year old son volunteered to move down there with her. This is now his job and he has handled it well but he has had a few rough patches not being able to get out. He's a gamer so for the most part he was on a computer most of the time anyway. I was going have him bring my mother up here for Christmas but I got the damn sickness. Luckily he understands and rolls with it. My mother in law is going stir crazy not being able to get out all the time. She wanted my youngest daughter to spend the night with her Saturday even though my 17 year old son is getting sick. But the biggest surprise through all of this was my 19 year old daughter (we have 9 kids)announcing she was going into the army. I never saw that one coming. She is now about half way through basic and just got a positive test so she can't come home. Luckily we just roll with it.

Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    Started work at 6:00am this morning. Had one pull the covid card at 6:15am. He was sent home by 6:40 after calling the covid hotline and passing the test. Averaging 8-10 people out a day with "covid". Got our annual Christmas bonus last week and now have 14 people out a day on covid. Everyone likes claiming covid at work but they all come back after testing negative. Lucky me I get to clean up the stations after they pull the bull **** card. Had one mad last week he had to work a job and he did the same as above. Only problem is some guys ferreted him out and took pictures of him working at taco bell two days after his covid episode.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Started work at 6:00am this morning. Had one pull the covid card at 6:15am. He was sent home by 6:40 after calling the covid hotline and passing the test. Averaging 8-10 people out a day with "covid". Got our annual Christmas bonus last week and now have 14 people out a day on covid. Everyone likes claiming covid at work but they all come back after testing negative. Lucky me I get to clean up the stations after they pull the bull **** card. Had one mad last week he had to work a job and he did the same as above. Only problem is some guys ferreted him out and took pictures of him working at taco bell two days after his covid episode.

I used to think that a lot of people got stuck in low-end jobs because of circumstances out of their control, that they might be a victim, and need assistance.

I now realize they simply need a swift kick up the ass because they're their own oppressor.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI

Isaac Asimov's Robots of Dawn​ is the blueprint ffor the future.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/INPOLICE/bulletins/2b297ca

[h=1]Police Seeking Public Assistance in the Location of Greene County Shooting Suspect[/h]Indiana State Police sent this bulletin at 12/22/2020 05:08 PM EST
    [FONT=&quot]
    Having trouble viewing this email? View it as a Web page.​
    isp-header-image3_original.png
    [FONT=&quot]
    INDIANA STATE POLICE
    BLOOMINGTON DISTRICT
    1500 N. Packinghouse Road, #200
    Bloomington, IN 47404[/FONT]​
    [FONT=&quot]
    www.in.gov/isp[/FONT]​
    [FONT=&quot]
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE[/FONT]​
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]CONTACT:
    Sergeant Mike Wood
    Public Information Officer
    812-320-3116[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]DATE: 12-22-20[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    Police Seeking Public Assistance in the Location of Greene County Shooting Suspect [/FONT]​
    [FONT=&quot]Greene County - Today, at approximately 12:00 PM, the Greene County Dispatch Center received a 911 call reporting of a gunshot victim at 13775 North Ivan Court, Solsberry, Indiana, located in rural eastern Greene County. Indiana State Police along with the Greene County Sheriff’s Office responded to the residence and located the victim. The victim was provided immediate medical care and was transported to a local hospital.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Preliminary investigation revealed that Steven Taylor, II and his father were involved in an altercation inside the residence, which resulted in the father being shot. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]The Indiana State Police along with the Greene County Sheriff’s Department are currently attempting to locate Steven Taylor, II (photo below) for questioning. Taylor was last seen wearing a green shirt with khaki pants. If you have any information regarding his location, please call 911 immediately. Please do not approach the suspect, as he is considered armed and dangerous.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Photo: Steven Taylor, II[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]All criminal defendants are to be presumed innocent until, and unless proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt in a court of law. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    -30-[/FONT]​
    steven-ii_original.jpg
    isp-section-divider_original.png
    [/FONT]

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I used to think that a lot of people got stuck in low-end jobs because of circumstances out of their control, that they might be a victim, and need assistance.

I now realize they simply need a swift kick up the ass because they're their own oppressor.

Yes sir. This has been the case since I went into the work force oh so many years ago and it has gotten increasingly worse.
    There are those that are stuck in that rut for reasons hard to overcome but the majority just do not have the push to move on.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I can't tell you what a blessing it's been to be part of a church that's open. Mine only closed for about eight weeks in April / May but we've been back to holding multiple services every Sunday, most of them full. Our pastor has said he will not close the doors of the church again. Full stop.

We've had more than one person come in off the street and tell staff they were considering suicide. Their lives were saved because the church doors were open.

There are plenty of folks on the prayer team willing to pray over people and give hugs. They aren't letting the virus get in the way of spiritual healing or fellowship.

Humans are not meant to be isolated. I'd encourage everyone to find a church willing to be bold enough to serve the spiritual and physical needs of the community. I'm happy to invite all of you to my church. It's on the border of Fishers and Noblesville. Everyone is welcome.

https://itownchurch.com/

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I can't tell you what a blessing it's been to be part of a church that's open. Mine only closed for about eight weeks in April / May but we've been back to holding multiple services every Sunday, most of them full. Our pastor has said he will not close the doors of the church again. Full stop.

We've had more than one person come in off the street and tell staff they were considering suicide. Their lives were saved because the church doors were open.

There are plenty of folks on the prayer team willing to pray over people and give hugs. They aren't letting the virus get in the way of spiritual healing or fellowship.

Humans are not meant to be isolated. I'd encourage everyone to find a church willing to be bold enough to serve the spiritual and physical needs of the community. I'm happy to invite all of you to my church. It's on the border of Fishers and Noblesville. Everyone is welcome.

https://itownchurch.com/

We never closed the doors, but did acquiesce to the capacity limitations. Which I made known to the leadership that we should never have done.

We have hundreds of elderly people that watch on line right now, but most of the Church meet physically again.

Top Bottom