• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    View attachment 161029
    Bonita and mackerel bait fish, 30" barracuda and 40" amberjack. Fishing was a little slow but it's still a good time.
    Save a few for the rest of us. :D

I'm heading down to Siesta Key at the end of the month and managed to convince my wife and our friends to give up one precious day, really just a morning, of their beach time and book a charter for some fishing in/nearshore fishing.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

Been there done that as a kid growing up in FL. Had that happen more than once along with snakes being involved on a few occasions.

Only thing I've done differently is quickly cutting the line. May have been foolish at the time, but didn't want to lose my gear to the gator.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Was having a cup of tea on my lanai this morning and heard what I thought was dolphins. Went down to the dock to investigate and saw it was a school of Jacks chasing the bait fish which are everywhere right now.

Grabbed my rod which has a rubber shrimp on it. Jack hit it before it got 2 inches deep right underneath me. Very cool

In Mexico that call them "Toro" (Bulls) because of how hard they fight. SOB took probably 200yds of line off my reel before I got him back and landed. Surprised it didn't break me off with the pilings everywhere.

Never caught one from my dock before. Probably 7-8lbs would be my guess.

Next cast caught another fish I had never hooked from dock - a Mutton Snapper. Was legal (12" min) but tossed him back.

Seeing quite a few bigger Snook in the 2.5 - 3" long range cruising the docks. So much bait around they never seem to be interested in any artificial lures.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Have a charter booked for Tuesday in Siesta Key. Near shore/inshore since the rest of my party isn't down for going out past the point of seeing land.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Have a charter booked for Tuesday in Siesta Key. Near shore/inshore since the rest of my party isn't down for going out past the point of seeing land.
    fishing has been really good. Too bad they won't go out to where the big fish are! Last time we did a grouper/snapper trip we went 36 miles out. Every time the bait hit the bottom got a bite.

Last bite of day hooked into a goliath which was fun to fight for 10 minutes until it decided it had had enough and broke the hook.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    fishing has been really good. Too bad they won't go out to where the big fish are! Last time we did a grouper/snapper trip we went 36 miles out. Every time the bait hit the bottom got a bite.

Last bite of day hooked into a goliath which was fun to fight for 10 minutes until it decided it had had enough and broke the hook.
    It was great for us last Tuesday. Too rough to get out on the Gulf but we caught plenty of fish in Roberts and Sarasota Bay. Enough snapper for the five of us to make dinner with some leftover for the captain and mate. Caught tons of snook, a few jacks, a trout and a nice redfish.

I may never freshwater fish again.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    It was great for us last Tuesday. Too rough to get out on the Gulf but we caught plenty of fish in Roberts and Sarasota Bay. Enough snapper for the five of us to make dinner with some leftover for the captain and mate. Caught tons of snook, a few jacks, a trout and a nice redfish.

I may never freshwater fish again.
    what were you using for bait?

Top Bottom