Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Got the dry fire banners accomplished today. I shot Accelerator live yesterday, which I do not have a banner for. Going to shoot it different going forward. Need to clean the gun and pack the range bag. Tomorrow morning bright and early we find out if the week of dry practice was enough or not. We shall see.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    My Area 5 attempt is over and a failure. Wednesday the gun, magazine and ammo combination ran flawless. Friday morning on the clock I was getting failures to extract once to twice per stage. One is less than optimal but on the three or four stages it happened twice one bad time stuck. So I ended with at lest 40 seconds on malfunction on the score sheet. How I was still in first place after staff and the first competitors shot is beyond me. I must not have been the only one with trouble. Today or Sunday several shooters will go right past me without a doubt.

I shot a 90% on Smoke and Hope, which nearly matches my best. Five to Go went better than it has all year. I was not disappointed with my accuracy on the day. If the gun had run I feel like I would have contended, which is good for the short amount of getting ready that was put in to it. I might have to sign up for the state steel match now and finish strong.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    My Area 5 attempt is over and a failure. Wednesday the gun, magazine and ammo combination ran flawless. Friday morning on the clock I was getting failures to extract once to twice per stage. One is less than optimal but on the three or four stages it happened twice one bad time stuck. So I ended with at lest 40 seconds on malfunction on the score sheet. How I was still in first place after staff and the first competitors shot is beyond me. I must not have been the only one with trouble. Today or Sunday several shooters will go right past me without a doubt.

I shot a 90% on Smoke and Hope, which nearly matches my best. Five to Go went better than it has all year. I was not disappointed with my accuracy on the day. If the gun had run I feel like I would have contended, which is good for the short amount of getting ready that was put in to it. I might have to sign up for the state steel match now and finish strong.

I was pretty happy with my results.
    I improved my times on the three stages that are historically my worst.
    That was a goal.
    I screwed the pooch on a couple of stages that I usually shoot pretty well.
    Trying to push too hard made a few suboptimal runs count.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Footage from Parabellum Carry Gun match.

[video=youtube_share;qHwCTQoFd2I]https://youtu.be/qHwCTQoFd2I[/video]

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    [video=youtube_share;dJ3AYhl3YCM]https://youtu.be/dJ3AYhl3YCM[/video]

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Defoor Proformance Pistol Hat Qual

Standing from 25 yds into an NRA B-8 Repair center. Using an electronic shooting timer draw and fire 10 rounds under 20 seconds and score 90 or better during a class. Three attempts only. Passing score receives a DPS hat.

​After the meeting at the club tonight I took out 50 rounds and ran the above drill 5 times. It is clear that without enough practice I pretty much suck at medium distance on the clock. The good news is I didn't miss the paper. The bad news is I didn't pass once. Great drill though for shot calling and trigger control.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County

Standing from 25 yds into an NRA B-8 Repair center. Using an electronic shooting timer draw and fire 10 rounds under 20 seconds and score 90 or better during a class. Three attempts only. Passing score receives a DPS hat.

​After the meeting at the club tonight I took out 50 rounds and ran the above drill 5 times. It is clear that without enough practice I pretty much suck at medium distance on the clock. The good news is I didn't miss the paper. The bad news is I didn't pass once. Great drill though for shot calling and trigger control.

I'm sure I could get the 20 rounds fired in 20 seconds.........all 9's or better......probably not:(
    I'm not sure which target that is but I think its just a bit bigger than the USPSA A zone.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I needed to do a little live fire with the 365 XL in order to complete the review on that pistol for Front Sight Magazine. I went back to the neighbors pasture this morning. Alyssa went along to run the timer and do the recording for me.

Open carry draws at 3 yards: 0.89, 0.85, 0.82, 0.78, 0.73 seconds. First shot was a delta the other four alpha.

Open carry draws at 5 yards: 0.84, 0.87, 0.90, 0.88, 0.85 seconds. All alpha.

Open carry draws at 7 yards: 0.89, 0.93, 0.92, 0.87, 0.91 seconds. 1 charlie and 4 alpha.

The 0.73 draw I thought was a personal best. When I got back to the house I pulled out the practice log and confirmed that it was. The previous best was a 0.76 shot in 2013 with my GH2 Limited gun.

I decided to try again while I was hot and strapped on my carry gun. I managed a 0.71 second draw for an alpha. The best draw of my life so far was with an M&P Pro in 9mm.

I also tried some 3x2 drills from the Black Belt Standards.
    Times were: 2.09 with the hits. Failed on the time. Must be 2.00
    2.12 with the hits. failed
    1.94 with the hits passed
    2.09 without the hits. failed
    1.97 with the hits passed.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Worked on draws and transitions today live fire.
    Worked up drills with AR.
    Roughed in stages for carry gun match.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010

What you described above (a shot every two seconds on the B-8 repair center) performed one-handed but without the draw, is one-third of the NRA Bullseye course of fire. 90+ is basically all shots at least touching the black. I remember how mind-blowing it was the first time I saw somebody clean it (100). I was a beginner scoring the target of the person next to me, and for a couple seconds I thought "I need to quit shooting."

You have to give yourself credit for what type of guns you're shooting, too. With something like a Glock, the accuracy potential of the gun could be using up half your intended hit zone (and that f-ing trigger is probably using up the rest).

Last edited:

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    What you described above (a shot every two seconds on the B-8 repair center) performed one-handed but without the draw, is one-third of the NRA Bullseye course of fire. 90+ is basically all shots at least touching the black. I remember how mind-blowing it was the first time I saw somebody clean it (100). I was a beginner scoring the target of the person next to me, and for a couple seconds I thought "I need to quit shooting."

You have to give yourself credit for what type of guns you're shooting, too. With something like a Glock, the accuracy potential of the gun could be using up half your intended hit zone (and that f-ing trigger is probably using up the rest).

Many of the people I have seen do it with a Glock, (Chuck Pressburg one handed) have had aftermarket barrels and triggers. So I would say you are spot on in your assessment.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    The new Holosun 507k arrived today so after cleaning up the storm damage, getting the generator running and my normal 5 hours of mowing I put it on the Sig 365 and headed to the range.

The difference between this RDS and the Sig bigZero is immediate and enormous. Good construction, bright dot (and circle), easily adjustable, clear glass don't have to take it off to replace battery. Huge improvement. Hopefully the reliability and durability will be good.

Did a 10 yard zero first then moved back to 25. After that ran some draws and failure drills. No where near as good of times as Coach on the draws. It is surprising but I guess he is just faster than me. New dot was great, still not sure I care for the gun. I can not believe how much hotter this thing gets than my glocks. I would never be able to run it through a high round count class. And that is from someone who burns his hands weekly in the shop, not pushing pencils.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Practice has been few and far between this week and last. I did get invited over to Allen Moore's house for a little shooting. He let me fire a gun he built and provided the ammo. So here is a mini review complete with video. It is a 9mm compensated gun that is commander length. It has an optic on it. Optics are not my bag but I gave it a whirl and warmed right up to some respectable performances with it.

The video shows the gun and the holster that were used in the live fire. We have a little footage of Allen talking about the gun. So if you like what you see look him up and he will gladly build you one.

I did a little bit of warm up group shooting and I needed it to figure the dot out. Then it was a series of one shot draws. I did not write down all of the times on these draws but that ranged from one slow draw at 1.23 seconds to the fastest at 0.97 seconds. There were a number of then at 1.07 to 1.19 seconds.

The next drill was taken from the " Black Belt Standards" a draw and three rounds to the body and two rounds to the head. I did not have 3x5 card on the head and I did not work from concealment. It was 90 degrees plus out there and concealment seemed dumb to me. The first one was 2.03 seconds, and one head shot may have missed the 3x5 card, hard to say. The next two runs on video are both 1.84 seconds and all hits were made without a doubt. The trigger on the gun breaks right around four pounds but was crisp and reset nicely.

Then I fired three repetitions of the Mozambique. It was improperly done as I did not access between the body shots and the head shot. The times were 1.75, 1.78, 1.71 seconds. The first run the head shot was low and in the chest not in the head. The following to reps were great hits.

I did some 2-2-2 then at ten yards to see how transitions would go. The first run is a draw of 1.20 and a total time of 2.32 for the six shots with 26/30 points on the target. The second run was 1.33 draw, 2.55 seconds over all with 26/30 points. The third run was sloppy but a 1.21 draw and time of 2.39 but only 20/30 target points achieved.

Did some SHO and WHO to show how the comp makes a difference. The SHO runs were 3.23 seconds and 3.03 seconds with 26 points scored on the first run and all 30 points achieved on the second attempt.

WHO only was a little rough and not because of the gun. But finding the dot after transitioning to the left hand was tough. The first run was a total time of 4.56 seconds with a first shot at the 2.3 second mark. So half the time was finding the dot after the draw. Points were bad at 22/30 points possible. The second run was 3.83 seconds and I did not see a dot after the first shot. I also had a miss on the middle target.

Overall it is a very nice gun and a lot of fun to shoot. This gun was built to be able to carry. It ran well and the trigger was really nice. If you are looking for a new gun this might be just the thing.

[video=youtube;vS8wKM7yb3Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vS8wKM7yb3Q[/video]

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    7-3-2020

Started with the Pistol Forum DOW 377. To be shot cold from carry gear. 2 shots to a 3X5 at whatever distance you choose only hits count. I used my NPE (work) gear of G43 with 147 HST out of a Dark Star Gear appendix rig with a t shirt for concealment. When I go to the range I realized I didn't restock my supply of 3X5 cards so I just used the slightly smaller USPSA head A-zone. It was a fairly slow 2.51 but it was clean and with that gun and to that target I don't feel too bad about it.

After that got the Sig 365XL out and shot the MCOLES qual twice. Ran it clean both times and a fair bit under all of the par times.

Next up was the USPSA gun and some more of the DeFoor hat qual. Out of four attempts I did manage a barely passing 90 once. I might do a little better with my good ammo but with the ammo situation being what it is, I will keep using the junk stuff for now.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    7-4-2020

Went to the range with a buddy that does the training for a number of the smaller departments in the area. He brought along a guy who qualifies as an armed pilot.

We shot a 150 round plan that he uses for the police departments. It includes some training, some use of cover work, and a Qualification. I used the Sig 365XL. The gun is starting to grow on me though there are still a few things I don't like about it.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Dry work last night.

Range this morning to do the qualification for church carry. Shot it the first time for score and then two times after that for practice. Once going only head shots and once doing everything SHO except for the stage that is WHO.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Video from July 15 Carry Gun match. Won the match by 13 percent.

[video=youtube_share;05g1NUBn6H0]https://youtu.be/05g1NUBn6H0[/video]

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Royce and I went out to Riley Friday. We used the .23 range for an hour or so. Shot some clay pigeons of the berms as well. Did some AR shooting fron prone. We worked on a little pistol stuff after that.
    Video is at 7 ysrds and 30 yards. Only 1 charlie on each run.
    [video=youtube_share;DiNc1QP80oc]https://youtu.be/DiNc1QP80oc[/video]

Top Bottom