• cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Live fire.

New G45 MOS waiting on optic.

Rangemaster 200 point warm up. It was during this I found that my aging eyes do not care for factory Glock sights in the fading light.

Blake drill 10 yds
    Draws to 3X5 at 10 yards
    Draws to A zone 7 yards.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Got a timer this week and took it to the range for the first time today. I think it could be a game changer for me as far as getting measurable data on my progress.

However I quickly learned that I should not try to hit the times that the drills indicate, but rather focus on good hits, record how long it took me and work towards those faster times while maintaining accuracy.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Some video of Royce from Saturday's range session.[video=youtube_share;kWUas7eCtDA]https://youtu.be/kWUas7eCtDA[/video]

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    This is a little video from last Saturday. I was testing the Beretta 1301 Comp shotgun for a review in Frontsight magazine. It was great fun to shoot and ran like a scalded dog. Royce and I did some AR stuff that we do not normally get to do. Had a good time and got a little better.

[video=youtube;dUtF4fAu7sw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUtF4fAu7sw[/video]

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    This is a little video from last Saturday. I was testing the Beretta 1301 Comp shotgun for a review in Frontsight magazine. It was great fun to shoot and ran like a scalded dog. Royce and I did some AR stuff that we do not normally get to do. Had a good time and got a little better.

When I watch you shoot I'm reminded of when you teach in class about shot "cadence". You make it look easy. I'm not there, but with time and reps, I will get better.

Glad to see you out and about.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Did some live fire yesterday. Worked on precision shooting with carry gun, worked at distance with Limited Gun, worked on trigger control precision with .22 pistols shooting shot shell hulls. Worked on transitions with Limited gun. Worked on call shots and more grip with the weak hand in order shoot at speed and keep rounds close together on target.

Picked up brass, and have brass sorted for tomorrow's trip to scrap it.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Got the SRO mounted on the G45. Sighted it in at 10 yards with minimal adjustments then went back to 25 for a 10 round group. Not super tight but all in the Black.

Ran the MSP black belt standards after that. I was more like a purple belt today.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have been practicing reloads at home. Hold pistol up with both hands like I'm firing at a target, bring the gun into my workspace as I'm dropping the mag, grabbing a mag with my left hand, inserting it and back on target. Seems to be helping...however;

Because doing it at home doesn't have me going to slide lock, at the range today on several occasions, I went to slide lock, dropped the mag, inserted a new one and got back on target. It all went smoother and faster than in the past before I started practicing. Except I didn't cycle the slide.:ugh:

The good news is that I see the value of dry fire. It really does work. And the lesson learned is to be careful what you practice.

Since it would be tough to create a reloading session with the gun in slide lock, what suggestions do you have that could help?

Mimic the movement of cycling the slide without actually doing so?

Just shoot USPSA and learn to reload on a loaded chamber?:)

Looking for input.

As far as my live fire today, I did the same drills but didn't try to hit the times the drills set. I was slower, but not much and my accuracy improved in all but the drill where I shot 2 strings of 6 rounds.

And I increased the distance on my failure to neutralize (Mozambique Drill) from 7 yards to 10. I didn't do as well. I use my Shield with irons for that drill.

Finished the session with some .22 shooting the plate rack.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I have been practicing reloads at home. Hold pistol up with both hands like I'm firing at a target, bring the gun into my workspace as I'm dropping the mag, grabbing a mag with my left hand, inserting it and back on target. Seems to be helping...however;

Because doing it at home doesn't have me going to slide lock, at the range today on several occasions, I went to slide lock, dropped the mag, inserted a new one and got back on target. It all went smoother and faster than in the past before I started practicing. Except I didn't cycle the slide.:ugh:

The good news is that I see the value of dry fire. It really does work. And the lesson learned is to be careful what you practice.

Since it would be tough to create a reloading session with the gun in slide lock, what suggestions do you have that could help?

Mimic the movement of cycling the slide without actually doing so?

Just shoot USPSA and learn to reload on a loaded chamber?:)

Looking for input.

As far as my live fire today, I did the same drills but didn't try to hit the times the drills set. I was slower, but not much and my accuracy improved in all but the drill where I shot 2 strings of 6 rounds.

And I increased the distance on my failure to neutralize (Mozambique Drill) from 7 yards to 10. I didn't do as well. I use my Shield with irons for that drill.

Finished the session with some .22 shooting the plate rack.
    Put snap caps in the magazine and you can insert a new mag and rack the slide. It does not have to atart from slide lock, but it can.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    200 point Rangemaster warmup

MSP Black Belt Standards
    El Prez with paper plates (trying to conserve USPSA targets)

Shot from concealment today as it was raining and I didn't want to get my little blaster wet. :D

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I have loaded some ammo for Sunday and have cleaned my gun and packed the bag. Practice seems futile at the moment.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Rangemaster 200 point warmup

MSP Black Belt Standards

Shooting on the move and working Entry/Exit with multiple targets.

I went quite a bit over my restricted for now weekly allotment of ammo but with my first USPSA match in 2 years tomorrow I figured it was called for.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Alyssa and I went back to the neighbors property and got some live fire in today. Probably fired about 60 rounds each. We worked on accuracy, SHO and WHO. It was a modertate success. No photos or video. Just good to have a gun back in my hand. I can no longer fight but I can shoot.

Top Bottom