• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    We are heavily involved in 4-H and I have seen the source documents from Purdue. I don't know if 4-H National set forth requirements as mentioned above, but Indiana 4-H- Purdue Extension has fair requirements that far exceed anything the state has mandated or even recommended.
    My wife was telling me about some of the things she was told. From what she said, it is pretty much impossible to do any of the animal shows. We were going to have to bring the animals in, leave them in the trailer, pull them out to show, put them back in the trailer, and then take them home all on the same day. I didn't hear what they said about the horses, but they are usually there all week. Bringing them in to show each day would be a nightmare.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    I'd be curious to see what they are doing. I know all of the counties up here have just cancelled.

From Facebook

This is a lengthy post, please read in it's entirety.

The Newton County 4-H Council has proposed plans to have “show and go” livestock exhibits at the fairgrounds and closed judging at the fairgrounds for the “static (non-breathing)” projects. A virtual option will be available for anyone who, for whatever reason, is unable to participate in person. We are also encouraging everyone to upload pictures into Fair Entry in preparation for a virtual fair in case we are not at Stage 5 of Governor Holcomb’s Back on Track plan or anything else happens that would prevent an in-person show. All members will receive instructions about the Fair Entry System which will include uploading photos of their projects for virtual judging.

Extra safety precautions will be in place:

For animal/livestock judging, the only people in the show arena/judging area will be the judge, the animal/project, the youth, and an adult helper (parent or guardian for example). Please note this is one adult helper per 4-Her, not per family. Any need for additional adults helping children will be addressed on a case-by-case basis.

With the safety plan we have developed with the Building and Barn Superintendents based on Purdue’s guidelines, we will not have seating for spectators in the barns or buildings. There will be extra sanitation measures in place. We are working on a plan to have a recording, streaming, or broadcasting of the judging so families and members of the public can view or listen to shows remotely.

All 4-H members, staff, volunteers, and parents will be required to wear face coverings whenever social distancing of at least 6 feet (approximately 120 sq. ft. circle) is not possible.

These rules and guidelines are subject to change as new information comes from Governor Holcomb’s written plan and Purdue. We are working furiously to get the information compiled and mailed to 4-H families by early next week.

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    Overheard a conversation at the local parts store about having private shows. People with facilities large enough for the 4H kids to come a show, auctions and all. Think it was Hendricks county, not 100%. Though it was a great idea, I know lots of kids that put a ton of time, effort and money in, this is devastating to not let them show or have an auction.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I think last year may have been our last state fair year anyways. Looked and felt more like a ghetto fair than the Indiana state fair last year. Maybe we just went on the wrong day.
    They bring in thugs then they force you to disarm. No thanks

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    From Facebook

This is a lengthy post, please read in it's entirety.

The Newton County 4-H Council has proposed plans to have “show and go” livestock exhibits at the fairgrounds and closed judging at the fairgrounds for the “static (non-breathing)” projects. A virtual option will be available for anyone who, for whatever reason, is unable to participate in person. We are also encouraging everyone to upload pictures into Fair Entry in preparation for a virtual fair in case we are not at Stage 5 of Governor Holcomb’s Back on Track plan or anything else happens that would prevent an in-person show. All members will receive instructions about the Fair Entry System which will include uploading photos of their projects for virtual judging.

Extra safety precautions will be in place:

For animal/livestock judging, the only people in the show arena/judging area will be the judge, the animal/project, the youth, and an adult helper (parent or guardian for example). Please note this is one adult helper per 4-Her, not per family. Any need for additional adults helping children will be addressed on a case-by-case basis.

With the safety plan we have developed with the Building and Barn Superintendents based on Purdue’s guidelines, we will not have seating for spectators in the barns or buildings. There will be extra sanitation measures in place. We are working on a plan to have a recording, streaming, or broadcasting of the judging so families and members of the public can view or listen to shows remotely.

All 4-H members, staff, volunteers, and parents will be required to wear face coverings whenever social distancing of at least 6 feet (approximately 120 sq. ft. circle) is not possible.

These rules and guidelines are subject to change as new information comes from Governor Holcomb’s written plan and Purdue. We are working furiously to get the information compiled and mailed to 4-H families by early next week.
    Yep. Pretty much what Purdue said. Ridiculous rules that will make it all but impossible to participate. It will interesting to see how many decide to jump through those hoops to actually show.

Farmerjon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    NorthWest Indiana
    Oldest grandson and oldest granddaughter are in 4H. Middle granddaughter is in exploring 4H and don't know what that will do to her experience. The 2 have rabbits, hogs, goats and dairy cattle. Their county has gone to a show and go. Show up, show, go home same day, no use of the barns, utilize the trailers. His big dairy beef steer is well over 1200 lbs. He is broke and was shown last year as a starter calf. But with this show and go, I don't think the big steer will go. in the past having a day or two to settle in to the fair noise and activities this steer would be fine. But he is high strung so we (mom, dad, grandson and me0 have decided "Big Foot" is staying home and we will market him through our freezer beef customers. The 3 starter calves are coming along very well, they will go. We are going to start loading them and taking them to the elevator to get weighed, first when they are closed and eventually when there is noise and commotion. Also going to take them to town and park in busy parking lots to accustom them to new noises and hauling and knowing they are safe and going back home. Even if their fair is cancelled, nothing can replace my pride in seeing my 13 year old grandson haltering these calves and putting them in the stanchions for their grain. Then haltering them and walking them to water 2-3 times a day, then haltering and taking them to their corral for night feeding. A young man coming into his own. Regardless what is going on in the world, my grandkids are learning and seem to have common sense. Their woods projects, metal projects and recycling projects are works in progress. Don't know how or if they will show them, but they will know they did them. We are making memories and responsible kids like you are with yours. Be safe and stay healthy.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom