• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rdavis006

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    Was over visiting my sister and Brother in law at their house this evening. Brother in law and I was standing outside their garage smoking a cigarette and bull*****ing when we saw a pit bull run across the street and came charging at us. I drew and as I got the dog in my sights it stopped. After a few seconds it turned and ran the other direction.

The local PD was called and responded. Officer got out of his vehicle and I told him what had happened, and as I was doing so the dog reappeared and charged the officer causing him to pull his taser. The dog again stopped and ran off.

Officer was able to then make contact with the neighbor who owns the dog. Who then was able to put the dog back inside. The officer came over and spoke with my brother in law and me and told us they have been called multiple times about this dog and informed us of our rights if It were to happen again.

We are hopeful the neighbor will keep the dog contained and there will not be a next time. I am a dog lover as well are my sister and brother and law. The last thing any of us want to do is shoot a dog but they have a 5 year old child to protect and none of us want to be bit by any dog especially a pit bull.

Dante1983

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2021
    I was at my daughters apartment one time working on her car, got charged by a neighbors dog. To be honest I completely forgot I was carrying. Thing came at me from the side. I veered into a brick wall, it lunged and I busted it in the head with my tool bag. Happened like 5 times. It stopped for a moment, I ran ten. steps around the building, turned and put my hand on my pistol. Daughter came outside and walked it to the neighbors. Apparently it has a problem with men. . Part of me was ashamed I forgot I was carrying. Another part is glad I didn’t fire at a dog lunging at my junk and miss.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Very true. Idiots have given an excellent and solid breed a terrible reputation thru bad breeding and even worse handling. They are not a breed for low IQ individuals.
    Dogs OR children are not a good fit with low IQ individuals but unfortunately they are allowed to interact with both.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    We lost our 13 year old mixed breed in April and just got a Shar Pei mix to keep our other boy company. He has been slow to warm up to her but things are getting more friendly.
    I looked on web sites for the nearby shelters and Pet Finder and it was sad. The majority of dogs up for adoption are pits or pit mixes with some Shepard mixes. We did not want that large of a dog of any breed so never a consereration. The SP mix is around seven years and 25 pounds, super skinny and wormy. At her age I guess she will be about 40 pounds when she gets filled out that was about what our other dog was.

tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    When I was maybe 10 years old, my Dad was checking his crops and we had two dobermans make an agressive charge towards us from a distance. He said jump in the bed of the truck and he drew down on them with his Ruger single six, which had the .22 magnum cylinder (for groundhogs, etc.). I'll never forget those dogs pulling up hard and running off. While the pointing may not always work, I always remembered that.

I can say for certain that the POM spray advertised by Youtube Active Self Protection does work against a charging dog in my particular case. Clip pocket carry with an index bump on the front at the business end with a spring loaded trigger cover you get your thumb under, and and shoots a solid stream quite a distance. Good first quick choice non-lethal alternative if the situation allows it.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Was walking my dog with the at the time gf.

Walking down the street, we hear "hey stop!" From the end of the street.

We all turned to look and this big as German Shepard was full on open for business charging at us. Some guy was giving the dog chase. He started yelling "shoot her! Shoot her!"

I stepped to put my dog and gf behind me and drew my pistol. But didn't have a clean **** as the guy was behind the dog direct line just a few houses behind.

He yells again "shoot her, shoot her!"

I took a few steps back and to the side at low ready. Just trying to get a good line on the dog.

He yells again "shoot her shoot her!"

Still no shot and the dog is getting close.

Again "shoot her! Shoot her!". His voice more panicked as he drew close.

I adjusted again raised my pistol for the shot.

Then again he yells "no! Shooter! Stop! Sit!"

The dog stopped and turned to the guy.
    He yelled again "shooter come!"

The dog started walking to him.

I holstered my gun and waved.
    He apologized and that's how I met a dog named shooter.

:D

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Honestly I have a Pitt bull story almost exactly like this , only difference was I was walking my dog at the time and the dog came running from across the street (owner was letting it do it's buisness outside with no fence or leash). Still glad to this day I didn't have to drop the hammer on that dog, but would not have hesitated had it came any closer.

At the time I had Crimson Trace laser grips on my Dan Wesson ECO (we all make mistakes with lasers on guns at some point) always wondered if the dog saw the dot and that's what made it stop.

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Porter county
    Please be careful in regards to this gentlemen. A family member of mine shot a dog a few years back. He had to lawyer up. The owners of the dog decided not to press charges. It could have been bad

Gunmetalgray

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 14, 2021
    not lost, wandering...
    ... the POM spray advertised by Youtube Active Self Protection does work against a charging dog in my particular case. Clip pocket carry with an index bump on the front at the business end with a spring loaded trigger cover you get your thumb under, and and shoots a solid stream quite a distance. Good first quick choice non-lethal alternative if the situation allows it.
    Not used that brand but pepper spray works. Deployed it a few times back in the running/cycling years. I'm a dog person too and some negligent owners that don't train / restrain their pets could use a spray up the keester...

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Dogs OR children are not a good fit with low IQ individuals but unfortunately they are allowed to interact with both.
    This is an instance where a taser could be of value.

I have had to get a few dogs off of our property before. My actions are dictated by the dogs demeanor. More than once I have had an aggressive dog back there and all that was needed was to open the 3rd pasture gate. On all occasions my gang was there and they were *******. So it was as simple as letting them through and let me tell you that dog high tailed it out of there Hell has no furry worse that a mad LGD thinking some dog is going to come,around here and threaten their goats.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Was walking my dog with the at the time gf.

Walking down the street, we hear "hey stop!" From the end of the street.

We all turned to look and this big as German Shepard was full on open for business charging at us. Some guy was giving the dog chase. He started yelling "shoot her! Shoot her!"

I stepped to put my dog and gf behind me and drew my pistol. But didn't have a clean **** as the guy was behind the dog direct line just a few houses behind.

He yells again "shoot her, shoot her!"

I took a few steps back and to the side at low ready. Just trying to get a good line on the dog.

He yells again "shoot her shoot her!"

Still no shot and the dog is getting close.

Again "shoot her! Shoot her!". His voice more panicked as he drew close.

I adjusted again raised my pistol for the shot.

Then again he yells "no! Shooter! Stop! Sit!"

The dog stopped and turned to the guy.
    He yelled again "shooter come!"

The dog started walking to him.

I holstered my gun and waved.
    He apologized and that's how I met a dog named shooter.

:D
    shoother.gif

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    This is an instance where a taser could be of value.

I have had to get a few dogs off of our property before. My actions are dictated by the dogs demeanor. More than once I have had an aggressive dog back there and all that was needed was to open the 3rd pasture gate. On all occasions my gang was there and they were *******. So it was as simple as letting them through and let me tell you that dog high tailed it out of there Hell has no furry worse that a mad LGD thinking some dog is going to come,around here and threaten their goats.
    Amen to that. Mine get riled up seeing my little 18lb indoor dog. The one time some strays came around, I thought they were going to tear down the gate to get at them.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I had a similar incident several months back. I was by myself running after dark and got rushed by two loose dogs. They came out of the dark and were short haired and low to the ground enough to make me think there was a good chance I was about to be a midnight snack for a couple of escaped pitbulls.

I cleared holster with my 442, went to a high ready, and waited to see what would happen. The closest dog stopped at my feet and just looked up at me, and I heard the owner yelling from a short distance behind them. I hollered back that everything was cool and reholstered.

The dogs were fine (and not really pits on closer examination). I petted the dogs. He was very apologetic. Had I seen him accompanying the dogs in the daylight I likely wouldn't have drawn, however they were barking and I thought they were completely unattended and likely escaped.

Hilariously an IMPD cruiser just APPEARED about 30 seconds later. I'm thinking "oh god here we go" when he rolls up with the window down and goes..."excuse me, does that parked car back there belong to either of you?"

We look at each other like "uh... nope."

"Everything good here?"

"...yep."

"Alright, have a nice evening."

He was completely oblivious to that fact that anything had happened, and the guy and I just reached some unspoken agreement that I won't say anything about his loose dogs and he won't bring up how I pulled a gun and nearly shot them. :laugh:

Glad it didn't come to that. I'd basically decided that if he latched onto my leg or jumped and bit at my arm it was on. Dogs in numbers greater than one even the odds real fast.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Amen to that. Mine get riled up seeing my little 18lb indoor dog. The one time some strays came around, I thought they were going to tear down the gate to get at them.
    That is why we appreciate ours so much. We have not lost a kid since their arrival.

They are hard workers and earn their keep every day.

Top Bottom