• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cavemike

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I recently brought home the stated vehicle.
    I would like to know if anyone in the Indianapolis area would know of a competent mechanic.
    The car runs, very well as a matter of fact.
    although the idle needs to be adjusted and it bogs down a little about 70 to 80 mph
    It hasn't had 300 miles put on it since a body off frame restoration in 2012.
    I have put about 100 miles on it since mid March

Attachments

• mgc.jpg
      mgc.jpg
      2.9 MB · Views: 43

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    I would like to know if anyone in the Indianapolis area would know of a competent mechanic.
    although the idle needs to be adjusted and it bogs down a little about 70 to 80 mph
    Can’t help but good luck looks like a unique one lots of character.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out

VERY nice!

I have a buddy in TN who restored a number of MGB GTs. Fun cars with much more character than most modern machines.

Enjoy it!!!

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Love the old British sports cars....but Lucas memories still give me the night sweats frome time to time...LOL

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Do yourself a favor and install a battery shutoff switch. Ive never met an MG owner that didnt have electrical gremlins.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Best way to adjust the idle is to put an LS in it.

855f086cb10cdc2c577ea0610027d73b.jpg

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I had an MGB-GT for a short time while in the Navy in California. It was a fun car when everything was working. Lots of fun driving through the mountains and to the beach. My first car ever was a 65’ MGB. Bought it from a teacher and it almost made it home before the transmission disassembled itself. Sat in the driveway for 6 months before it was sold for parts. I wish I had that GT now though, really fun cars. Good luck with yours, it looks like a nice one.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Best way to adjust the idle is to put an LS in it.

855f086cb10cdc2c577ea0610027d73b.jpg

Beat me to it. Back in the day I knew a guy that had a basically complete steel bumper MG Midget parts car. He'd taken a few minor pieces off of it for a restoration project he was trying to sell. I talked to him one day about the parts car and he told me that when he sold the restoration that I could have the parts car.

I had another buddy that had wrecked his 1st gen rx7 which had a heavily modded engine in it. He told me I could have the 7 if I ended up with the midget but he would have the honor of driving it occasionally after I married the 7 and the Midget.

Lo and behold the restoration buyer also wanted the parts car so it never came to be. I did have a buddy that had a SBC swapped MGB, most terrifying ride I ever went on. Not that they would have helped but the damned thing didn't even have seat belts.! :oldwise:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Seems to me I remember people putting Buick V6s in a few MGs back in the day. Good power from a small package.
    We did a frame up on a 53 MG-TD. Everything including some of the wood structure in the body.
    No stone was left unturned.

When I took the engine to my shop and broke it down it was a worn out mess. Some serious money to rebuild it. We considered the Buick and a Muncie 4 speed but after some time with a tape measure decided to keep on the path to as original as possible.

This took the better part of a year. 2009. I believe they still own and drive this car.

These pics was its 1st roll out. No hood yet. CKW took it out fr a bit...:): MG first roll 007.JPG MG first roll 006.JPG MG first roll 008.JPG

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    No way you want to engine swap that thing if it is basically original. The MGC is one of the few MG variants that was made for a short span and is somewhat rare. MGBs amd MGB-GTs are plentiful. The MG-GT V8 is rare too...but are getting pretty pricey.

Stick with the original engine- it makes plenty of power for a car that size.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    CM I knew you did American stuff but I didn’t know you did Euros as well. Pretty nice work!
    This came to me on accident. Some people I knew down on Gasoline alley took this on seeing money in their eyes. I sub contracted the engine and they muddled along taking advantage of the owner and not getting much done and none of that done correctly as they were not a restoration shop.
    The owner came down to pay me for the engine work and asked if I could take the car and finish it. The shop it was in was bankrupt so yes we picked it up and started from scratch. What an experience this was.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    CM I don’t think a lot of people know how much really goes into a proper restoration. It looks easy on tv but I’m reality can get to be very complicated and expensive.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    OP....that is a very well done resto on your car.
    Does it have the SU carbs on it. If so they may only need the oil pots filled to get it back on tune.

Top Bottom