• ...and so much more!
  • Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    As a poor country boy, money for shooting was tight. Recreational shooting that is. It was important to save ammunition for the dispatching of squirrels, rabbits and such. So in the 60's, a well used reloading manual at my LGS was a good find. From time to time I go back and re read these manuals to relish on the milestones of my shooting travels. It is a fun road to travel. Companies buying up companies is not a new thing. The Ideal manufacturing Company was founded in 1894. http://www.castpics.net/subsite/HistMolds/Ideal_barlow.pdf The tools that they made and the Ideal Handbook they printed was bought up by Lyman https://www.lymanproducts.com/ several years later. This review is on my dog eared copy from 1946.

If one will take the time to read the inserts of this review, some interesting theories and revelations will become clear of a world of sportsmen who wanted to handload ammunition. After the wars and less need for Military applications, this was the market. For instance on Page 41 we talk about the difficulty of getting reloading components because of the Federal Explosives Act. Availability of commercial products for the jobs at hand were non existent. Consider the washing cases article on Page 29. Wonder why we don't do that now? Remember dry tumbling for case cleaning had not been mass produced yet. The history one can read from these books are enlightening. Knowledge is Power is what I told the young man in at a Big Box Gun Store when is said the gun was invented by an Australian named Mr. Glock.

Something that I think all manuals need in them is on page 144. The twist rates and groove diameters were published in this manual for several years. The Powder section and loading information is thorough but cautious. We are living in a great time for inventions and goods that make handloading easier today, but on the other hand I do not think you will see a 87 Gr Cast lead bullet powered by 3.5 grains of bullseye in a 30WCF. Thats, 30-30 for you kids. This was an estimated value and I stuck one in the barrel of my Model 94 using this load. Not good. Page 132. We have learned a lot since these were written.

I am sure every generation feels this way but for those coming into the gun culture today seem to have no time or interest to handload or study this fascinating hobby. Rolling your own breeds confidence and education on how things work. It is a HUGE part of the American Sportsman that want to feel like they achieved something. If you have the opportunity to find these old books at estate sales or old timey gunshops (rare) buy it. Enjoy a time when life was simpler. The complete total of everything that makes up the sport that we call shooting continues to bring us protection, fun and a rich history. Misguided information, evil misuse and gun accidents are chipping away at our gun culture as we KNEW it. For me, I hope our younger gunowners will take hold of the heritage that American Sportsmen built many years ago down this long and winding road.

Enjoy and I will see you on the range.

Trapper

IMG_4529 (002).jpg
    IMG_4530 (002).jpg
    IMG_4531 (002).jpg
    IMG_4532 (002).jpg
    IMG_4533 (002).jpg
    IMG_4535 (002).jpg
    IMG_4534 (002).jpg

Top Bottom