• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I recently acquired a 1911 Commander (Tisas) just holding it I realize the brilliance of JMB, fits the hand, ergonomic, before the word was invented.... I love this gun, and how it feels ( my third or 4th 1911, might well be my last...for a while....A friend of mine once said the wonder 9's fill the hand like a donkey d%*#....Not having personal experience with that..........but could be true..... I love my M&P 9c.........Thoughts?

Gypsy31

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2014
    Newburgh
    I've been looking at the Tisas 1911's. Think I'll pick one up this year. Originally planning on the Tank Commander but already have a Colt Combat Commander, so I'm leaning towards the 1911A1 US Army.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    For the price, a Tisas 1911 is hard to beat.
    I picked up a Tisas 1911A1 US Army at Rural King for $296.99 during their Black Friday sale. I was there to buy a Rossi R22 because they had them for $73.99 after rebate, and I saw the Tisas sitting in the case at that ridiculously low price. I'm not even a big 1911 fan, and didn't need it, but I wasn't going to leave it in the case for less than $300.

I know this is probably heresy, but I've handled a lot of 1911s in an effort to like them, but I just never found them to be all that ergonomic. Not "Glock" bad, but nothing to write home about either. When I handled the Tisas at Rural King, it felt good in the hand. I've put a couple of boxes of ammo through it, and really like the way it shoots, although those vintage style sights leave a lot to be desired.

I did a bit of research and found out why. Every 1911 I've handled in various gun shops has a flat mainspring housing. I guess that's the standard now. The Tisas has an arched mainspring housing. Way more comfortable to me than a flat mainspring housing. Watched some YouTube videos, it doesn't seem to be all that difficult to swap out mainspring housings. So if I see a Commander style Tisas in a gunshop case for a ridiculously low price one of these days...

:)

Not my pic, but a cool pic.

T1911.jpg

Last edited:

Firehawk

a.k.a. Rainmaker, Rainhawk, Firemaker or whatever
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Lebanon
    Congrats on your 1911

I have a Citadel 1911 in 9mm that’s been one of my favorite guns I own. I was originally looking for a double stack Rock Island in 9mm before the 2011’s surged in popularity. I found this Citadel at RK at discontinued blowout price of $330! And it came with a ton of upgrades from the factory. Full length guide rod, extended ambidextrous safety, extended slide release, Novak sights, lowered ejection port, tactical style front and rear slide serrations! The fit and finish isn’t quite as nice as a $1000 name brand 1911 but for the money I’ve been very pleased.

Yes a 1911 in .45 is proper (and I have one and have had several others) but at the time I was just wanting a fun range gun and 9mm was more economical than .45. It’s a fun gun, a solid shooter and I’ve never looked back.

1672598845862.jpeg

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    My 1911 A1 RIA has been howling for a partner. Tisas are looking pretty good! I changed my flat mainspring to a Colt curved model, and the skinny hammer to a Colt wide knurled hammer. It does fit my hand better, and thumbing hammer back is easier. Time to add a Tisa to the stable!No issues with the RIA.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Congrats on the 1911 acquisition...ya can't go wrong with a 1911 pistol!
    I love my stainless Ruger 1911 Commander .45 acp...it's the easiest and most accurate pistol I own and the trigger is fantastic! My wife had a bobtail installed in 2018 (birthday gift) which simply fits my smaller hand better!
    Best of luck with it and hope it lasts you a lifetime! Woot!

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    I like .45 ACP. JMB was indeed a genius. The M2 is another fine example of his handywork. I was looking seriously at new .45 ACP pistols about a year ago. Mainly because I honestly believe the full-size 1911 is one of the easiest pistols to learn on, and to shoot well. My baby (now 40) was pretty handy with a 1911 before she entered high school. The Tisas full-size Duty looks well-built, and gets good reviews. Never fired one, though. BTW, I ended up with a Glock 21. 14 rounds at the ready beats 8 rounds, every day.

Top Bottom